Closing accounts for a deceased

Kate Miranda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I helped the widow of a deceased individual close her husband's account more than a year ago.  I believe I did all the steps correctly (I was given his log on).  Now the account is inaccessible but the avatar still appears in search inworld and as the owner of a group.  Avatar account is Thom Dowd.  Thom was memorialized by a number of us who miss him dearly. I hope the account can be totally deleted as the family desires.  Contact me if more information is required. 

Just to clarify due to comments.  I was asked to log on by the widow and supplied with information to do so. No TOS violations involved. I completed everything necessary to delete the account.  This was more than a year ago.  Tickets have been filed.  No resolution. 

3 answers to this question

Kate --

This is a resident-to-resident Answers service.  We are all SL residents like you.  Lindens never come here and, as far as we know, never read what's posted either.  You'll have to submit a support ticket to ask Linden Lab to finish closing your colleague's account. 

Most importantly, I am sorry for your loss.  If I read this correctly, you had the member's login information, and if so, you can log in to secondlife.com and delete the account by going to the dashboard, clicking Account (Under Home), and Delete Account is the last link there.

It may take some time to completely remove things from searches, but as it ws said, you can open a ticket if you need further clarification into this process.  Again, i am very sorry for your loss.

A Second LIfe account and its inventory are legal property.  Only the person named in the deceased's will as the heir or the legally appointed executor of his estate can take any action regarding the account.  Any one attempting to take it over or closing it without following proper procedures with LL is acting illegally. 

Here is the official policy regarding this:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Death_and_other_worries_outside_Second_Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.