How to reset converted youtube music to mp3 files to work for djing online?

Lynnieloves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, im having a problem with music that I have used from youtube to convert the links into mp3 files used for taking requests for djing in second life. I use the dj software called mixxx, when I first got everything the mp3 files were able to be drag and dropped into the decks of my player with no problem, but since I chose to open the mp3 music files with google player/iTunes its stopped letting me drag and drop it, and im not sure how set it back to default so I can use it again. I use the youtube to mp3 convert from flvto; I found that it let me convert the music when I select to add it to my iTunes collection, but after the 1st time it doesn't show up in my player and it causes me to have to close it out and restart it again in order for it to show up, now good for live djing! Please help!

Without getting into the ethics of music sourcing....

I do a lot of editing of music and create some fun mashups for my sets.

If you are a DJ, Never let iTunes touch your music library. It wants to make your music "owned" by the software, a bad behavior in any media software client. It also will attempt to convert/write into the media tags of your music without your permission.

Conversion software is a mixed bag as well. Mixxx wants proper meta tags in the MP3 files. Your conversion software is probably creating untagged MP3 files from your MP4 and FLV YouTube downloads so Mixxx is not liking them after conversion. iTunes as well is deciding if it likes the version of the MP3 you have on your PC in order to see if you qualify for their iCloud Music on demand program, even if you are not enrolled in it at $25.00 a year.

Make sure to manage your music in a separate Music Library and not in the iTunes music library. Do clean conversions. Make sure the MP3 meta-tags are accurate.

P.S. I do agree with the previous posters sentiments regarding owning your music. I use YouTube myself to get a quick request for my gigs but I seldom keep the song unless it is in my interest range. Then it goes into my Review/Buy folder for future consideration. Many times a song request has ended up costing me another $9.99 as I'll find a performance I was unaware of and off to Amazon I go to get the whole CD/MP3 Album. But collecting music is my semi-retired hobby :D 

MIstahMoose wrote:

This is called stealing, especially if you plan to make money off of djing with it.

You need to be looking for DRM music online rather than stealing it off of youtube. 

I've got news for you, paying the 99 cents for the song doesn't make it any more legal to stream it to an audience. Doing that legally requires paying for a rebrodcasting/public performance licence or using a stream server who's owner has paid. Not many do nor would it be any more cost effective to do that than pay $1 per song for one off requests. At least the OP is using MIxxx (free open source) rather than pirating SAM Broadcaster or Virtual DJ.

The only way it would make any sense to go to the expense to be 100% legal as far as DJing in SL would be if you did it professionally RL and already had to pay for the licencing anyway. 

Hey Lynnie.

My understanding of the software is that it has multiple libraries.

iTunes - not a terrible option, though as KarenMichelle points out above it has limitations. It also doesn't persistantly scan for new music, you'd need to run the 'Add Music To Collection' to add to the iTunes Library without restarting it - and then get Mixx to update its own copy of the iTunes library. It's this string of dependence that slows the whole process down for you.

Another option is to use the 'Explorer' library, allowing you to browse your local hard disk in a Windows Explorer-like environment. This library is updated constantly - as soon as you get a new MP3 it will show up in this view, provided you're viewing the right folder. Since this doesn't rely on external applications to scan and add to the library it makes for a better view than iTunes.

I think you can even have iTunes and Explorer libraries open in separate tabs, making them easily swapped between.

Hope that helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.