Breedables, whats the point?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

carolinestravels wrote:

So, if you don't mind, would you now please role play someone who has actually given some serious thought to the ethical implications of what she has chosen to represent, and offer me an apology?

Thank you! :-)

No!

Please stay on topic. I am not in the mood for yet another Gor bashing thread. If you are in that mood, open another thread please.

But you're entirely in the mood for producing a condescending thread questioning the validity of people's interest in breedables?

S'ok, you've answered my implied question about self-reflection and responsibility by not answering.

Maybe we can reopen this when someone invents breedable kajirae. After all, they have about the same status as your average scripted dog.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

carolinestravels wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

carolinestravels wrote:

Most people don't really want to know when they ask "what's the point". They're simply being dismissive, because it's not an enjoyment they share, and they don't understand it. It's easy to be dismissive of things you don't understand. (that's not be being crass, harsh, or rude, either, ftr, simply the truth, lol). It's usually why you can't get a "straight answer", because the question comes across as rude.

Tari

nope! I am serioulsy interested what the kick or the fun is,
people
seam
to get out of this
. Maybe the only way to find out is trying myself! I hope its not addictive or such - last time I "tried" something to find out whats the kick, I ended up playing Gor for years!

You mean that people take up sewing to get out of breeding things. If sewing helps them kick the habit, good luck to them
:)

As soon as your German is as good as my English, you will have room for comment on my spelling! :-)

Too bad he was commenting to Tari...

lol No he wasn't. The "seam" comment wasn't mine ;)

It was a quote from caroline's post. I'm not one to mess with most typos though, so, not really sure why anyone cares about it. Especially when typos come from someone with a native language other than English.

Phil Deakins wrote:

In that case, very well done! Your posts are such that it didn't occur to me that you are not a native english speaker. I'd assumed that you are a native english speaker who isn't very good at spelling. Again - very well done!

The fact that your native language is german is an answer to someone else's criticism. Somebody pointed out that the question "what is the point?" is usually asked when the asker has decided that there is no point. Not being a native english speaker, you wouldn't have realised that.

I'm german and I still think roughly 50% (if not more) of her blog entries are rude or let show that she/he has already an opinion. So no, I don't think not being a native speaker excuses this.

Its not the first time he/she does this.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

carolinestravels wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

carolinestravels wrote:

Most people don't really want to know when they ask "what's the point". They're simply being dismissive, because it's not an enjoyment they share, and they don't understand it. It's easy to be dismissive of things you don't understand. (that's not be being crass, harsh, or rude, either, ftr, simply the truth, lol). It's usually why you can't get a "straight answer", because the question comes across as rude.

Tari

nope! I am serioulsy interested what the kick or the fun is,
people
seam
to get out of this
. Maybe the only way to find out is trying myself! I hope its not addictive or such - last time I "tried" something to find out whats the kick, I ended up playing Gor for years!

You mean that people take up sewing to get out of breeding things. If sewing helps them kick the habit, good luck to them
:)

As soon as your German is as good as my English, you will have room for comment on my spelling! :-)

Too bad he was commenting to Tari...

Even I didn't notice that lol

Ardvinna wrote:

It is a bit strange to reply in English, but anyway...

off topic:

Please consider, that you mentioned Gor
first
, to draw a parallel. This was perhaps not very happily chosen. I don't know if you're a woman in rl, but rape is a sensitive subject (for women and men), and there are also people who are not comfortable with the idiosyncrasies of this kind of role play. Please pay regard, there are in rl victims of violence who are traumatised. Or someone has relatives/friends who suffered.

off off topic:

You're mentioning Plato and Aristoteles in your article about Gor. hm...  I don't know how you are investigating, but this is even not "half of the story". If you have read
Politeia
, or about the
philosophy of nature
, you would not mention them at all. ...and please excuse me, that I am mentioning it, but you're not writing very neutral, it is more like promoting it. But it is your blog, you're free to write, what you want and as you like it. 

and now finally on topic :smileyhappy::

I have breedable plants. They serve as decoration. And it motivated me to build a glasshouse for them. For me it is just a dissipation.

And this is a public forum, so people are free to write their opinion about the blog she/he announces here. Also its a fact that Gor is based on books with rather questionable quality in a universe I would describe as "not very creative" and highly questionable in its values and ideas. Its in the same league of 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight, so people have a pretty soild base when it comes to critizing that caroline looks down on other hobbies and activities while enjoying the probably crappiest roleplay universe this virtual world has ever seen.

I think people wouldn't have jumped on this, if carolines articles and blogs wouldn't provoke it. And where is the point in writing and "investigating" about breedables (or any other topic) if your opinion is already settled?

Tanith Stillwater wrote:

Breedables made my SL experience what it is. Until I got into them, I was basically spending all my time tromping around, shopping, renting houses, furnishing them and tearing them down. Fun enough, but very lonely.

When I started with breedables, I was drawn into a community of fun, friendly, supportive folks (and a few cut-throat ones, just to make things interesting. :smileywink:) Plus, I made enough money that I'm still supporting myself in SL more than a year after selling all my breedables off.

RL interfered, making the whole thing a little too much for me to handle. (They do require a goodly amount of attention if you're going to profit from it). And I wouldn't recommend them as a surefire way to make money; I caught some lucky breaks and was the beneficiary of extreme genorisity, which I have tried to repay.
But I do recommend them as a great way to make friends.

I just visited an auto show, to find a replacement for my old station wagon. The exhibition hall was filled with shiny and unnecessarily large new cars vying for everyone's attention and mortgage money. Around the periphery were displays of "old timers". I meandered over to admire them. The oldest was Stan (age unknown) who was lovingly displaying his pride and joy (a 1907 runabout). The moment I expressed interest in his car (which was largely made of wood, my favorite building material) he lit up like an Edison bulb.

Stan is a compendium of little facts, not unlike a Trekkie reciting the evolution of NCC-1701 from A through G. He had never been interested in cars... until he attended a car show and met some nice people. He took a business card from one talkative fellow, and a week later purchased a box of car parts from him for $500. It was apparently a very big box, the entire runabout was in it. For the next few years, that box of parts lured him to countless places where he met more nice people with various skills who could help him with the restoration.

When the car was ready, he and his wife participated in their first show. Although she had no interest in the restoration, she was happy to ride in the car at parades and chat with the wives of the fellas who'd fixed up other old machines brought to the shows. For the next two decades, that old car was the vehicle for their social life. As I basked in the warm glow of his stories, I realized (once again) why many of us do the odd things we do. It's all about connection.

With 25 years of fond car memories, many shared with his beloved departed, I'm putting my money on Stan to be a "car guy" right to the end of the road. I hope he's got a long way to go.

I have his business card.

Ardvinna wrote:

I just wanted to put Caroline's attention to the fact, that she mentioned it frist. Because in my opinion, the replied to LaskyaClaren in a very rude way.

Gor: I thought all the time, that is a rp, where only men are playing  together -rl men in female avatars with rl-men in male avatars, That's why I was wondering, if Caroline is a woman in rl.

Generally the idea makes knots in my brain, why should someone even play to be raped -man or woman.

And giving pseudo-vindifications and -explanations by referring to Plato and Aristotles to justify it, I had to criticize. I don't follow her blog, today I had my first look on it. So, briefly speaking, I almost agree with you and LaskyaClaren.:smileyhappy:

Concerning the literature you've mentioned; Gor, Shades, or Twilight...I never read it, and in my life I don't intent to read it, because after reading some excerpts of these texts, I decided, that my life time is too precious for wasting it with this trash.

I have always found that one should never trash a piece of literature based on what others have said.  I found the Twilight books much better than the movies, Shades of Grey was puerile and not at all what BD/SM is about. Which brings me to the Gor series. I found them to be quite enjoyable, if you skim over the "training scenes" which are the same in each book, just different names. The plots were very good and the characters had depth you dont usually see in cheap dime store novels.

Try not being a sheep and make up your own mind.

carolinestravels wrote:

So, if you don't mind, would you now please role play someone who has actually given some serious thought to the ethical implications of what she has chosen to represent, and offer me an apology?

No!

Please stay on topic. I am not in the mood for yet another Gor bashing thread. If you are in that mood, open another thread please.

If you do not wish to be bashed for supporting evil, then don't mention that you support evil. Its that simple.

But especially don't mention it in a thread where you have already set everyon off by having a title that insults a huge segment of people in SL who are not doing anything evil - and especially not in a way trying to draw a parallel between these two things.

I realize that there are a lot of people in SL who think rape and slavery are social goods - and we need more of it, and maybe more in the real world too... and they're ardent supporters of Gor and even the 'lifers' of Gor... but I have no patience for them - nor do some others here. If you've been in their world long enough you might think it normal, but its not.

I grew up in a world of drug sellers, thieves, and violent people, I've known serial violent predators as friends. At the time this all seemed normal, even though I thankfully knew better than to join them - getting out gave me the perspective to see evil for what it was.

I've met real sex slaves. Former and sadly even encountered those I was powerless to do anything about. It changes you forever just meeting them and hearing their stories - actually being one or promoting a lifestyle about making them...

Don't bring up Gor as a parrallel to something, unless you're ready and willing for the attack. We're not all blinded by being inside that house.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Ardvinna wrote:

I just wanted to put Caroline's attention to the fact, that she mentioned it frist. Because in my opinion, the replied to LaskyaClaren in a very rude way.

Gor: I thought all the time, that is a rp, where only men are playing  together -rl men in female avatars with rl-men in male avatars, That's why I was wondering, if Caroline is a woman in rl.

Generally the idea makes knots in my brain, why should someone even play to be raped -man or woman.

And giving pseudo-vindifications and -explanations by referring to Plato and Aristotles to justify it, I had to criticize. I don't follow her blog, today I had my first look on it. So, briefly speaking, I almost agree with you and LaskyaClaren.:smileyhappy:

Concerning the literature you've mentioned; Gor, Shades, or Twilight...I never read it, and in my life I don't intent to read it, because after reading some excerpts of these texts, I decided, that my life time is too precious for wasting it with this trash.

I have always found that one should never trash a piece of literature based on what others have said.  I found the Twilight books much better than the movies, Shades of Grey was puerile and not at all what BD/SM is about. Which brings me to the Gor series. I found them to be quite enjoyable, if you skim over the "training scenes" which are the same in each book, just different names. The plots were very good and the characters had depth you dont usually see in cheap dime store novels.

Try not being a sheep and make up your own mind.

The movies suck because Kirsten Stewart can't act. She has as much emotion in her face as a fish. Also movies tend to lag behind the books and if the books were already horrible....

Yes, I read the twilight books. The first one was ok, if you consider it as some teenager romance stuff, but with every book that becomes popular and adds pressure to the author to write more, the series became worse. In the end I have to say, Twilight lacks of reason and logic at several points and displays morals and a story that are highly questionable, even more considering that the main target audiance are young girls and girls in their teenage years. I haven't read 50 Shades of Grey, but reading a bit about the story and the characters was enough for me to deciede that its not going to be something I would enjoy reading.  I don't really critizies the Gor books because of the way they are written, because I haven't read them as I do not intent to join a roleplay based on them. My opinion about Gor is mainly based on the concept of its universe alone, which I thought is plain at best.

Sorry, it was a kind a "false friend". Excerpt in my language means "part of the whole text" and a summary. So I began to read it. But I couldn't read more:

Twilight: What is the message of transforming a highly-erotical, sophisticated Vampire of Bram Stoker to an Teenage-Harmless-Mutant?

50 shades: woman transforms beast into handsome lapdog.? That figures.

Gor: Kundera said that a novel should bring an enrichment to my cognition. hm...I don't see any enrichment in it.

So, I may look like a sheep, a black sheep, but I don't swallow what others masticated for me.

About the serials on TV I can't say anything. I don't watch television and very rarely a film.

Hoping, that there are no other "false friends" hidden in my text.

I received this as correction request:

The message body contains watch **, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post.

Why is it forbidden to write :watch ** So I had to write *television* instead.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

carolinestravels wrote:

No!

If you do not wish to be bashed for supporting evil, then don't mention that you support evil. Its that simple.

If I roleplay evil - I support evil? Seriously?

carolinestravels wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Well thank goodness you don't participate in Star Wars RP.

Gor might be violent and offensive to ones liberal senses on the small scale, but anyone roleplaying a Sith would (by Pussycat's logic) be guilty of genocide (or planetcide?) - for helping to engineer the destruction of Alderaan.

I guess everyone involved in Roleplay should play good guys - villains, thieves, nogoodniks and murderers apparently aren't adding to storyline or providing protagonists - they're commiting evil acts (perpetuated by evil roleplayers). Taking a love interest hostage and tying them to the railroad tracks for the hero to rescue isn't plot/character development, tension and peril - it's kidnapping and psychopathy. Twirling of moustaches in-character proves without a doubt that the roleplayer is deriving some kind of sick personal pleasure simply for pleasures sake as the large steam engine rushes ever closer.

Maybe someone needs help with books on the Fiction shelf. :D

Freya Mokusei wrote:

carolinestravels wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Gor might be violent and offensive to ones liberal senses on the small scale, but anyone roleplaying a Sith would (by Pussycat's logic) be guilty of genocide (or planetcide?) - for helping to engineer the destruction of Alderaan.

I guess everyone involved in Roleplay should play good guys - villains, thieves, nogoodniks and murderers apparently aren't adding to storyline or providing protagonists - they're commiting evil acts (perpetuated by evil roleplayers). Taking a love interest hostage and tying them to the railroad tracks for the hero to rescue isn't plot/character development, tension and peril - it's kidnapping and psychopathy. Twirling of moustaches in-character proves without a doubt that the roleplayer is deriving some kind of sick personal pleasure simply for pleasures sake as the large steam engine rushes ever closer.

Maybe someone needs help with books on the Fiction shelf.
:D

An interesting argument, Freya, but I'd like to submit that it's based on a faulty analogy.

Star Wars, and by extension Star Wars roleplay, is premised on the existence of a Manichean universe, with a binary opposition between the "light" side of the force, and the "dark." The latter is, without doubt, "evil," and is defined as such by the fact that it is in opposition to "light." Anyone roleplaying a Sith lord is consciously taking on an "evil" role, which is defined as evil in the game because there is also "good." And, although this isn't always apparent from individual movies, and is I am sure not always the case in the roleplay, it is "good" that wins in the end. Anyone RPing Star Wars "evil" does so knowing what happens at the end of the 6th movie.

But none of this is true of Gor. The sexual violence and the misogyny are not defined as "evil" by the existence of an alternate, positively presented, world view. Who in Gor is actively fighting against rape, or the oppression of women? Where is the counterpart to this "evil"? There is none. On the contrary, rape, sexual violence, and misogyny are the norms; they are the accepted "good" in this world,. And they face no opposition.

So, no, playing an "evil" Sith :Lord in Star Wars, against the backdrop of an imagined world that acknowledges that evil, is not at all the same thing as accepting rape and misogyny as normative values in a world that offers no alternatives to them.

Sorry, I still don't buy it.

Regarding the fault analogy, no - please read what was said. Someone who roleplays evil - in Pussycat's words - supports that same evil.

You might as well say that "all stories need balance between good and evil", or "all stories need a morally righteous outcome". It's just not true - there are plenty of good stories where all characters are evil. Game of Thrones (another popular roleplay environment in SL) provides a singular example of this, there are many more.

I don't think roleplayers are children expecting a Disney (a morally-clear, simple to understand story with obvious 'good' and 'bad' and where 'good' typically triumphs over 'bad') tale. You're welcome to do the research to demonstrate that "normalised abuse" results in (or is caused by) "evil people", but I'd still counter that most* roleplayers understand the difference between right and wrong, and morality is not absorbed simply from participating in roleplay - regardless of how 'evil' the roleplayed world might be. Adults are capable of processing morally ambiguous situations and subjects, and critically evaluating grey areas.

I've never met anyone who takes part in Gor, who doesn't understand that the things that may be 'OK' in Gor are 'Not OK' in real world. So I present that your fictional 'evil roleplayer' does not exist in reality in any quantity beyond the incidence of psychopathy et al within the general population.

This is the same junk argument as Grand Theft Auto/Call of Duty/Dungeons & Dragons turning people into killers, and watching films about Satanism and 'the occult' encouraging people to join cults.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the end of this tangent without evidence that people like this do exist beyond the percentage of empathy-recuding mental disorders. Without evidence that this type of roleplayer exists (or is at risk of existing), you're simply making this up to suit some concern-trolling agenda that I have no interest in perpetuating.

*most, as in, the incidence of empathy and other socially-positive traits match between populations of non-roleplayers and roleplayers. This accepts some incidence of empathy-reducing mental disorder being present in both populations.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Sorry, I still don't buy it.

You might as well say that "all stories need balance between good and evil", or "all stories need a morally righteous outcome". It's just not true - there are plenty of good stories where all characters are evil. Game of Thrones (another popular roleplay environment in SL) provides a singular example of this, there are many more.

I don't think roleplayers are children expecting a Grimm Brothers (a morally-clear, simple to understand story with obvious 'good' and 'bad' and where 'good' typically triumphs over 'bad') tale. You're welcome to do the research to demonstrate that "normalised abuse" results in (or is caused by) "evil people", but I'd still counter that most* roleplayers understand the difference between right and wrong, and morality is not absorbed simply from participating in roleplay - regardless of how 'evil' the roleplayed world might be. Adults are capable of processing morally ambiguous stories and subjects, and critically evaluating grey areas.

I've never met anyone who takes part in Gor, who
doesn't
understand that the things that may be 'OK' in Gor are 'Not OK' in real world. So I present that your fictional 'evil roleplayer' does not exist in reality in any quantity beyond the incidence of psychopathy et al within the general population.

This is the same junk argument as Grand Theft Auto/Call of Duty/Dungeons & Dragons turning people into killers, and watching films about Satanism and 'the occult' encouraging people to join cults.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the end of this tangent without evidence that people like this
do
exist beyond the percentage of empathy-recuding mental disorders. Without evidence that this type of roleplayer exists (or is at risk of existing), you're simply making this up to suit a concern-trolling agenda. 

*most, as in, the incidence of empathy and other social traits match between populations of non-roleplayers and roleplayers. This accepts some incidence of empathy-reducing mental disorder being present in both populations.

Hi Freya,

You're not really responding to my argument at all -- you seem to be responding to what you think Pussycat is saying instead.

I agree entirely that Star Wars is a reductive simplistic binary-driven world view. I actually think it's a rather idiotic one precisely because it eschews moral complexity and ambiguity. But then it was your example, not mine. I was responding to what you said.

The research on the impact of violent games is far from conclusive. I think, personally, that that is because it is such a very complicated subject, and human subjectivity is such that people don't respond the same way to the same stimuli: there is an enormously large number of variables involved. Of course GTA and Gor doesn't turn people into rapists. But then I never suggested that it did. What's more, if you read Pussycat's response, she is not doing so either.

Do games and role play impact on us emotionally and intellectually? Of course they do, or we would hardly bother with them, would we? But that's not the same as imposing the kind of reductive argument that you seem to think I am making.

In passing, I might note that I have met Goreans who were "lifestylers," even if you haven't. They do not, of course, represent anything like the majority of Gorean RPers,. but they certainly exist. Norman's novels themselves were a polemical counterthrust to 2nd wave feministm -- he may not literally believed that rape is a legitimate tool for discipline, but there is absolutely no doubt -- as a Google search will show you -- that he intended his books as a polemic against equal rights for women. And that fact is not unimportant.

One other point. I think that my response to you was civil and by no means unfriendly. It emphatically did not suggest that Goreans were rapists or "evil," and it did not attack you personally in any way. I am on this forum to engage in interesting discussion. I thought -- and still think -- that the post you wrote to which I responded was interesting, but flawed. My response was an attempt to engage in more discussion on the subject.

In that context, labelling me a "troll" frankly says a great deal more about you than it does about me.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

You're not really responding to my argument at all -- you seem to be responding to what you think Pussycat is saying instead.

Your argument isn't very interesting to me, sorry. I posted in this thread to make a joke or two, I don't much care for random opinions of an SL subculture several times removed from a book from 50 years ago written by some insane and stupid old person. I do have every confidence that John Norman would hate SL Gor if he ever saw it, and that's enough for me.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

have
met Goreans who were "lifestylers," even if you haven't

I have met lifestylers, but they continue to fail to meet the definition of Pussycat's 'evil roleplayer'. I have never met a lifestyler who believes in the subjects Pussycat spoke of as being 'social goods' out of character/in reality - I'd be surprised if you have. There have been some high profile news stories, sure, but these are easily symptomatic of other issues (typically jealousy, controlling/empathy-reducing mental illnesses), not exclusive to Gor.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

In that context, labelling me a "troll" frankly says a great deal more about you than it does about me.

Sorry if you read it that way, but that's not what I said. I said that you were trolling for concern based on non-evidence (which continues), but instead a preference that people behave in a way that's personally agreeable to you. I don't consider you a troll but I am not interested in discussing this issue further. This is not an interesting issue to discuss as far as I'm concerned, but perhaps we'll meet elsewhere. :)

Laskya, there is a cosmic difference between the aims of a Sith Lord and a Gorean male: the former wants to subjugate every living being, whereas the latter is much less evil, being content with mastery over only the physically weaker 50% of humans, which is a much more easily achieved ambition.

Wooja...wannaberuleroftheuniverseorjusthavecontrolofthetvremote

Freya Mokusei wrote:

carolinestravels wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Maybe someone needs help with books on the Fiction shelf.
:D

I think I'll comment on this, not just because I'm a roleplay since years, but also because I roleplay since 2 years in the Star Wars universe and most of my RP happens either on neutral fractions or on the side of the empire (what? Jedi are boring!). So some of my character are ok with doing evil things. My Sith enjoys killing an enemy, she enjoys battles and is kind of aggressive and loves to make fun of others. But is she evil? From the viewpoint of the Republic and especially the Jedi, yes she is. But is that the truth? From another point of view she is doing her job. She is doing things she get told to do from people who are more powerfull than her. If she doesn't give everything in a fight, the Jedi would kill her. And last but not least is the overall situation a war. Both sides do nasty things, because both sides want to win. The empire knows that it will get wiped away from the Republik, if they don't do anything possible to win. (Speaking from the point of the timeline that my RP is situated in).

Last but not least even my Sith has good sides. If she hadn't any she would be pretty 2 dimensional and not an interesting character at all.

Of course no Sith roleplayer would ever say "yay killing people in RL is cool!" or "I play that role because I love torturing people in RL!" Thats BS and I think we can agree on that.

Now lets move to Gor....

Gor features a lot of sexual discrimination and even more violence. While the Star Wars universe comes of as a huge fairytale in space, Gor even knows such terms as "lifestyler" and its rolemodel of men and women is a main part of the whole universe. Its far more in the spotlight than in any other popular roleplay. And in contrast to Star Wars there is no alternative viewing or cirtical thinking involved, there is no room for any other philosohpy. I'm no Gor expert, but I often got the feeling trough discussions that the author didn't had a healthy distance to his ideas.

(And its still a crappy :P) (Oh and Star Wars only appears plain and simple, because the movies are told from the perspective of the light side and overall aren't movies suited to tell a detailed  and complex story in this case. The movies are designed with the idea, that the heroes win).

You said:-

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I read this as "roleplaying in Gor" == "supporting evil". This was based on Carolinestravels saying "...Gor bashing thread..." after stating that she roleplayed in Gor - if Carolinestravels did say that she supported evil, then I apologise.

As it is, I don't see the need for you to have said the following two paragraphs if you weren't equating roleplaying in Gor with Real Life evil:-

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I grew up in a world of drug sellers.... [and etc]

I've met real sex slaves... [and etc]

And:-

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I realize that
there are a lot of people in SL who think rape and slavery are social goods
- and we need more of it, and maybe more in the real world too...
and they're
ardent supporters of Gor and even the 'lifers' of Gor

This implies a correlation that I've never seen. I don't know if this person 'who thinks rape and slavery are social goods' exists to a quantity that can be called 'a lot', and I also don't believe that if this type of person does exist on a wide endemic scale, that it would be exclusive to Second Life Gor. Please link any evidence supporting this position, else - as I said above - you're inventing this or otherwise having trouble separating fact from fiction.

I don't see any way that roleplaying in Second Life Gor directly leads to either the drugs trade or the slaves trade in real life. Outside of the population averages for illegal activity and empathy-reducing mental illness, I can't imagine that the two can possibly be related, except within your post and perhaps your imagination.

ETA: Evidence to bear in mind, according to http://slgorsurvey.blogspot.com

• There are more Kajira than Free Men (31% vs. 25%)
  • Most Gor roleplayers are interested in meeting new people (249/363 Multi-select answers)
  • 8% of Gor roleplayers play to fight
  • 17% of Gor roleplayers play for sex
  • Most Gor roleplayers prefer little-to-no discussion about the books (47% vs. 14%)
  • 52% of Gor roleplayers are turned off by 'Bad Administration'

Freya Mokusei wrote:

You said:-

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I read this as "roleplaying in Gor" == "supporting evil". This was based on Carolinestravels saying "...Gor bashing thread..." after stating that she roleplayed in Gor - if Carolinestravels did say that she supported evil, then I apologise.

As it is, I don't see the need for you to have said the following two paragraphs if you weren't equating roleplaying in Gor with Real Life evil:-

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I grew up in a world of drug sellers.... [and etc]

I've met real sex slaves... [and etc]

And:-

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I realize that
there are a lot of people in SL who think rape and slavery are social goods
- and we need more of it, and maybe more in the real world too...
and they're
ardent supporters of Gor and even the 'lifers' of Gor

This implies a correlation that I've never seen. I don't know if this person 'who thinks rape and slavery are social goods' exists to a quantity that can be called 'a lot', and I also don't believe that if this type of person does exist on a wide endemic scale, that it would be exclusive to Second Life Gor. Please link any evidence supporting this position, else - as I said above - you're inventing this or otherwise having trouble separating fact from fiction.

I don't see any way that roleplaying in Second Life Gor directly leads to either the drugs trade or the slaves trade in real life. Outside of the population averages for illegal activity and empathy-reducing mental illness, I can't imagine that the two can possibly be related, except within your post and perhaps your imagination.

ETA: Evidence to bear in mind, according to 
  • There are more Kajira than Free Men (31% vs. 25%)
  • Most Gor roleplayers are interested in meeting new people (249/363 Multi-select answers)
  • 8% of
    Gor roleplayers
     play to fight
  • 17% of
    Gor roleplayers
     play for sex
  • Most
    Gor roleplayers
     prefer little-to-no discussion about the books (47% vs. 14%)
  • 52% of
    Gor roleplayers
     are turned off by 'Bad Administration'

Added to which:

• 11% of Gor roleplayers tell the truth
  • 34% of Gor roleplayers don't know what day it is
  • 75% of Gor roleplayers play to assuage their inferiority complex
  • 25% of Gor roleplayers play to massage their superiority complex
  • 48% of Gor roleplyers are turned off by 'Good Administration'
  • Most Gor roleplayers are interested in dominating new people

But most importantly

• 84% of Gor roleplayers are so illiterate they can neither read the books nor understand this post.

Wooja...dothewashingupwoman

To answer the topic question, what´s the point of breeding animals...well in my case...I simply love it:)

I have amaretto horses, kitty cats, meeroos, fennux, EVO fairies, barnyard birds,wild kajaera tigers and the ozimals since a few days...in the past I also had breedable lemurs, the teddies (cannot remember the right name), starlas, plant pets, K9 dogs, Bio Breed dogs and gempandas...I think this was all but not sure, lol.

For me it is a hobby...sometimes I make money with selling them, but most of the time I do it just for fun.

Oh yes, and not to forget the trainpet monkeys...I had 5 or 6 of them but right now only a black spider monkey, and lots of other non breedable animals and pets who are in my inventory at the moment...actually never saw them as "robo-pets" hehe...for me they are as cute as a nice made human avatar...or should I say "robo-human", cause we sit behind the screen and control them...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.