Best viewer for Macbook Pro?

Mickiana Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Someone please help me. I use the  latest firestorm viewer and I have to use local textures to create clothing items.

But using local textures while editing... I save a picture (no matter what kind. tga,png, jpg..etc) and it ends up crashing.

I can't work like this.

So I was wondering what else you all would reccomend for a good and stable Mac viewer.

I have been seeing a lot of people talk about nirans viewer but it does not look like they have a Mac version yet.

I currently have to use Singularity and its not the best for me.

TY for your help!

I used Singlarity on my Macbook Pro.just beawre that using any of these viewers for extended periods on a Macbook WILL fry your motherboard. I learned the Hard way. The video card on macbooks get HOT QUICK> I strongly suggest that you use one of the cooler pads with the fans under your mc to cool it off. otherwise you can find yourself with a repair bill of 900 like I did, to replace the MB. I no longer use my MAc for SL. I got a decent used comp just for that purpose. mac's are just too expensive.

Years ago there had been some issues with NVIDIA GPU chips that were improperly manufactured, and so failed after some time in use. The idea that overworking a CPU/GPU can cause it to "fry" is an urban myth, perhaps born in the days prior to good system design. Modern computers, and Macs are no exception, monitor their internal temperatures. They'll control fan speed to make the least possible noise during operation, and when there's a heavy computational load and the fans can't handle it at full speed, the operating system will start throttling the GPU and/or CPU to keep temperatures within the safe zone.

I have an old MacBook Pro (2007) that would crash SL whenever I increased the draw distance. I opened it up and discovered that the GPU fan was blocked with dust pillbugs (there's no room in a laptop for bunnies). SL is highly intolerant of the GPU throttling the Mac does to keep everything safe. I cleaned the fan and everything was back to normal.

If computer software can damage computer hardware, how do hardware manufacturers avoid warranty nightmares? Surely if this were true, computers manufacturers would have issued disclaimers by now stating that running SL voids your warranty, no?

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

The idea that overworking a CPU/GPU can cause it to "fry" is an urban myth

Uh, Madelaine, can you tell that to my Asus lappy that serves as a doorstop right now? Yes, I did clean it regularly. Yes, I used a fancy cooling stand with fan 'n stuff. No, it didn't survive in SL for longer than a year.

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro.  I can't hang with the last version of Firestorm either.  I have been using Singularity now for several months and I like it.

Regarding the overheating issue ... never use a MBP on your lap, a pillow, or anything soft.  Get a coolpad or coolermaster or something else with a fan that will cool your MBP especially in warmer (80 degrees ... not that I remember what that feels like any more) weather.    

I have never "fried" a MBP in all the years I have been in SL ... and I am talking about HOURS and HOURS online.  

• 4 months later...

Hi... I have been using my late-2011 model MacBook Pro with SL from the beginning. It did overheat and kill the motherboard after about two years.  I had the motherboard replaced and still use it.  With the new MB it doesnt seem to get as hot, and also have the back of the computer lifted up a bit to aid in heat transfer through the aluminimum case (which is very efficient at extracting the heat).  I have used Firestorm exclusively the entire time, but use it in the Windows 7 mode.  Strangely enough, the graphics in the Windows mode are much better, and I have read that the system also runs faster in window mode rather than the native iOS mode. 

Having the correct settings in Preferences seems to be the key to keeping the computer happy and maximizing the SL experience without stressing the hardware out too much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.