Jump to content

Stephen Fry about Second Life


Jo Yardley
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I did look at your blog, Jo, and I think what you're doing is a good idea, too. But having found this just as I came online I did want to take advantage of the chance to be the first one in.

I wish you hadn't revealed this, Jo. After all these years I'd hoped that was all forgotten. But yes, it's true. You can't possibly imagine what it felt like to first look upon my avatar and see myself finally rid of that bent nose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:

I did look at your blog, Jo, and I think what you're doing is a good idea, too. But having found this just as I came online I did want to take advantage of the chance to be the first one in.

I wish you hadn't revealed this, Jo. After all these years I'd hoped that was all forgotten. But yes, it's true. You can't possibly imagine what it felt like to first look upon my avatar and see myself finally rid of that bent nose.

Oh, well played, Dillon. Well played. 

:-D

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:

I did look at your blog, Jo, and I think what you're doing is a good idea, too. But having found this just as I came online I did want to take advantage of the chance to be the first one in.

I wish you hadn't revealed this, Jo. After all these years I'd hoped that was all forgotten. But yes, it's true. You can't possibly imagine what it felt like to first look upon my avatar and see myself finally rid of that bent nose.

Marry me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Jo Yardley wrote:


Dillon Levenque wrote:

I did look at your blog, Jo, and I think what you're doing is a good idea, too. But having found this just as I came online I did want to take advantage of the chance to be the first one in.

I wish you hadn't revealed this, Jo. After all these years I'd hoped that was all forgotten. But yes, it's true. You can't possibly imagine what it felt like to first look upon my avatar and see myself finally rid of that bent nose.

Marry me.

 

LOL. I really tried to stop myself doing that, but I was powerless to resist the urge. I meant it about liking your 'meme' idea.

I'll look for the link to the article that a fellow wrote about SL: he'd come to the Forum asking for people to share information about the 'game', been howled down, and instead of flouncing he read all the posts, dove inworld at least long enough to learn a bit, and then came back asking for more information. Wound up being a very nice (I thought) two-part article on a European website that is all about online games.

 

ETA 'a' because it had looked like I meant that Steven Fry wrote the article in question

Second edit to add link to the article I mentioned. It's a two-parter; there's a link to Part Two at the end of Part One. I was of course interested because I was one of his interviewees but more because it was nice to see someone actually looking at Second Life before reporting on it. Link to article

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Who's Stephen Fry? I'm serious. :smileyindifferent:

You may actually know him but not his name. If you got the Black Adder shows over there, he's the general in the final seies - the WW1 series. He's also in an earlier series with Queen Elizabeth the first. He was Lord somebod or other in that.

He was the comedy partner of Hugh Laurie (House) before Hugh Laurie set off for America.

If anyone is trying to spot him in SL, try looking in the gay communities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Who's Stephen Fry? I'm serious. :smileyindifferent:

You may actually know him but not his name. If you got the Black Adder shows over there, he's the general in the final seies - the WW1 series. He's also in an earlier series with Queen Elizabeth the first. He was Lord somebod or other in that.

He was the comedy partner of Hugh Laurie (House) before Hugh Laurie set off for America.

If anyone is trying to spot him in SL, try looking in the gay communities.

Wut?!  So if you heard that he was in London you would advise people to go looking for him in gay clubs and bars, rather than a TV studio, a bookshop, a conference on human rights, a film set or most probably an internet café?  Do you really believe that people's interests and locations are solely or primarily defined by their sexual orientation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Who's Stephen Fry? I'm serious. :smileyindifferent:

He's an ex-con who is vacillatingly unsure about his sexuality, and who is subject to manic-depressive episodes which lead to him running away from reality in denial.

Wooja...wonderwhydillonwantedtopretendtobehim

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

 

If anyone is trying to spot him in SL, try looking in the gay communities.


If I were looking for him I would be trying to find someone being cynically amusing in the forums . . .

 

Oh, did I mention that he is a fanatic about the English language and his first book was titled "The Liar".

 

Wooja...keepmyseatforme

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sy Beck wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Who's Stephen Fry? I'm serious. :smileyindifferent:

You may actually know him but not his name. If you got the Black Adder shows over there, he's the general in the final seies - the WW1 series. He's also in an earlier series with Queen Elizabeth the first. He was Lord somebod or other in that.

He was the comedy partner of Hugh Laurie (House) before Hugh Laurie set off for America.

If anyone is trying to spot him in SL, try looking in the gay communities.

Wut?!  So if you heard that he was in London you would advise people to go looking for him in gay clubs and bars, rather than a TV studio, a bookshop, a conference on human rights, a film set or most probably an internet café?  Do you really believe that people's interests and locations are solely or primarily defined by their sexual orientation?

Did I say he could be found in gay communities? Did I? Wake up and read the posts ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

I didn't know that he's an ex-con. What did he do? I do remember him disappearing though, but just the once. Agatha Christie did that - but she wasn't supposed to be appearing in a play at the time
:)

Aged 17, he stole a friend's Diners Club card and went on something of spree travelling around from hotel to hotel. During this time he stole another card and continued until the police caught up with him some months later. He spent a few months in prison as a result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly side-stepping away from Stephen Fry being in Second Life, but to another BBC TV show called "Would I Lie to You", where believable/unbelievable statements are made.  In the following video, from 11:19 a person is brought into the studio, and three of the panellists make their claim as to how they know him. Chris Packham says he is married to the man in a virtual world - Second Life. Is he telling the truth or telling a lie? Keep watching for the answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Sy Beck wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Who's Stephen Fry? I'm serious. :smileyindifferent:

You may actually know him but not his name. If you got the Black Adder shows over there, he's the general in the final seies - the WW1 series. He's also in an earlier series with Queen Elizabeth the first. He was Lord somebod or other in that.

He was the comedy partner of Hugh Laurie (House) before Hugh Laurie set off for America.

If anyone is trying to spot him in SL, try looking in the gay communities.

Wut?!  So if you heard that he was in London you would advise people to go looking for him in gay clubs and bars, rather than a TV studio, a bookshop, a conference on human rights, a film set or most probably an internet café?  Do you really believe that people's interests and locations are solely or primarily defined by their sexual orientation?

Did I say he could be found in gay communities? Did I? Wake up and read the posts
;)

In all honesty, don't get it... if "try looking for him in the gay communities" doesn't mean that you think he could be found in the gay communities, then I have no idea what it does mean.  Would you be kind enough to elaborate on how you think Sy got it so wrong or even just explain exactly what you were trying to say with that statement?

...Dres

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's perfectly clear. He's gay so, if anyone is looking for him in SL, trying the gay communities is a sensible thing to do. It doesn't mean that he is bound to be there and nowhere else. It just means that there's a fair chance that he would be found there. Perfectly clear. The word "try" means give it a go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're just as likely to find him:

* where people with bipolar problems pop in and out

* where people that use Linux assemble

* where grammar nazis serve their sentence

* where atheists and humanists congregate

* where Norwich City supporters are at home

but not unconscious in a champagne bar, as he might be in real life

Wooja...notprefertolookontwitter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...