Sign in to follow this  
Nellie Knoller

How do I build an enclosure to pen animals that are "physical"? They can walk through anything

Question

No, they can't.  That's what "physical" means...they respond to SL's physics system of wind, gravity, and collisions.

EDITED TO ADD:  No, no, no...don't turn the WALLS physical.  That'll make them fall down!  Just don't check the "phantom" box for them.  Someone else reported that every prim he was rezzing was phantom...you might try to walk thru your walls.  If you bump your nose, they are not phantom and you should be OK.

Now, if that is the case...I have no idea how your physical animals can walk through the fence.  Have you contacted the creator of the animals with the problem?

4 answers to this question

No, they can't.  That's what "physical" means...they respond to SL's physics system of wind, gravity, and collisions.

EDITED TO ADD:  No, no, no...don't turn the WALLS physical.  That'll make them fall down!  Just don't check the "phantom" box for them.  Someone else reported that every prim he was rezzing was phantom...you might try to walk thru your walls.  If you bump your nose, they are not phantom and you should be OK.

Now, if that is the case...I have no idea how your physical animals can walk through the fence.  Have you contacted the creator of the animals with the problem?

Hi Nellie,

Physical creatures should not be able to walk through other objects, unless those objects are set to "phantom". If they are walking through other objects, something is wrong. The animals themselves can't be phantom, as they'd then also fall through floors and the terrain.

Now, even if your animals did correctly observe boundaries set by other objects, keeping them corralled is a challenge. I've seen physical things go astray because of server glitches. Once they get outside the pen, they can't get back inside again. I once had a globe filled with apples that could be shaken. It was great fun to watch. However I often logged in to find the ball empty and my apples laying on the floor of my home, or the ocean floor.

Come back to your question and edit it to tell us more. You can do that via "Options" over there on the right.

See the edits to my post above. Just ordinary prims should keep them in, same as they keep avatars out.

AHA! They wander off when you aren't looking! Hm. I'm suddenly glad I don't raise rabbits. I would maybe try contacting the creator, maybe she will have some ideas.