How to UV Unwrap in Blender

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure what the video is aimed at, just general unwrapping use?
Because

The cube made me cringe a bit, you should explain that the only time you need an unwrap like that for a cube is if you plan to have a different texture on each face, usually stacking a cube ends up being the most useful way to utilize its unwrap. There is another layed out version of the cube which is seamless, unlike the T version..I do not remember where to find a tutorial for that version

The cylinder was fine

The sphere had extreme pinching and would actually not be very useable

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Realistic_Eyes_In_Blender

Scroll down for the sphere unwrap.

The hat unwrap could be much improved

All of the above, a lot of wasted texure space which results in loss of quality

(I understand this is a basic unwrap video, but you should show people how to do it correctly... not just do it. "Thats okay" isn't never better than "Thats correct")

ETA the link

I just wanted to make one comment -- well maybe two. I didn't watch your video; I know how to unwrap :D

They WAY you unwrap something depends a LOT on how you plan to texture it. We learn over time and I doubt too many folks do it exactly the same way. I have never found any actual good use of the "T" cube unwrap for instance.

I see mention over and over again about "wasting space" on your texture. Actually I don't see a whole lot of wasted space on your cap. Maybe each piece could have been a little larger but then it can be more difficult to texture if you are doing something complex.  What folks seem to overlook is that you need to keep the SCALE OF YOUR MAP consistent with your model. YOU did that well on the hat.

There is no ONE "correct way" that works for every purpose :D. Even though some folks apparently think there is *wink*. I am sure there will be many folks that appreciate the time you took to do this.

Chic Aeon wrote:

I just wanted to make one comment -- well maybe two. I didn't watch your video; I know how to unwrap
:D

They WAY you unwrap something depends a LOT on how you plan to texture it.
We learn over time and I doubt too many folks do it exactly the same way. I have never found any actual good use of the "T" cube unwrap for instance.

I see mention over and over again about "wasting space" on your texture. Actually I don't see a whole lot of wasted space on your cap. Maybe each piece could have been a little larger but then it can be more difficult to texture if you are doing something complex.  What folks seem to overlook is that
you need to keep the SCALE OF YOUR MAP consistent with your model
YOU did that well on the hat.

There is no ONE "correct way" that works for every purpose
. Even though some folks apparently think there is *wink*. I am sure there will be many folks that appreciate the time you took to do this.

Scale of your map to keep consistent with your model means you change your map from 1024x 512x etc. Wasting texture space is still forcing users to render pixels they do not see. It is still bad, Should there be a margin? Yes. But a margin is a set number for each size, 1024x = 8 px 512= 4 px etc etc. These aren't a set number, but you really don't need to exceed those for each size, because otherwise it just becomes a waste when you have a margin of 20 pixels on a 1024

I did not mean correct as in "this is the one and only way you can do something, period." It was meant to say "Show them the correct way to unwrap" Because there is a lot of information about UV unwrapping that he failed to mention... He mostly just pushed buttons until he got the result he wanted. He didn't mention how the other unwrap features actually functioned. I feel like if someone is to do a tutorial they should have a better understanding of what they are showing people. Which is surprising you can go on for so long with little information lol

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/21/intro_uvmapping/

Perhaps watch this?

MIstahMoose wrote:

Not sure what the video is aimed at, just general unwrapping use?

Because

The cube made me cringe a bit, you should explain that the only time you need an unwrap like that for a cube is if you plan to have a different texture on each face, usually stacking a cube ends up being the most useful way to utilize its unwrap. There is another layed out version of the cube which is seamless, unlike the T version..I do not remember where to find a tutorial for that version

The cylinder was fine

The sphere had extreme pinching and would actually not be very useable

Scroll down for the sphere unwrap.

The hat unwrap could be much improved

All of the above, a lot of wasted texure space which results in loss of quality

(I understand this is a basic unwrap video, but you should show people how to do it correctly... not just do it. "Thats okay" isn't never better than "Thats correct")

ETA the link

If you had actually paid attention to the video, I point out most of everything you just said. Why not make your own video? See, I took the time to sit down and make 1. I'm an animator, but I just happen to know how to do just about everything that is 3D. I never said I was an unwrapping pro, or even a modeler. The point of the video is to give users, that asked me personally, a basic understanding of how UV unwrapping works.

Oh, and to any1 reading this, you can also select groups of faces and unwrap them independent of the rest of the model. I forgot to add that to the video.

Chic Aeon wrote:

I just wanted to make one comment -- well maybe two. I didn't watch your video; I know how to unwrap

They WAY you unwrap something depends a LOT on how you plan to texture it.
We learn over time and I doubt too many folks do it exactly the same way. I have never found any actual good use of the "T" cube unwrap for instance.

I see mention over and over again about "wasting space" on your texture. Actually I don't see a whole lot of wasted space on your cap. Maybe each piece could have been a little larger but then it can be more difficult to texture if you are doing something complex.  What folks seem to overlook is that
you need to keep the SCALE OF YOUR MAP consistent with your model
YOU did that well on the hat.

There is no ONE "correct way" that works for every purpose
. Even though some folks apparently think there is *wink*. I am sure there will be many folks that appreciate the time you took to do this.

I point out just about everything you just said in the video. Scaling is covered, and I show how to correct scaling issue with Blender's Average Island Scale feature. As far as wasted space on the hat, I point out that I could spend more time to use more space, but it's a tutorial and people don't need to see me tweak things. I think some people just want to be nitpicky. You're right, there is no real "correct" way. Thanks for the input.

MIstahMoose wrote:

Not insulting you or your effort for the community. Just stating that it was a bit convoluted and could be improved to give users a better understanding.

Convoluted is what LL did with Fitted Mesh, not this video. You have your opinions and that is all they are. I don't mind the criticism, but just point out what is opinion and what is not. Like I said before, if you paid attention to the video, most of the same points you make, I make in the video. The only reason I did this video was because I was asked to make it. I actually pointed these people to other tutorials that I think are good, but they told me they couldn't follow them. They said they like the way I show and describe things. If I was not asked, I would not have made this video. I would have actually made a rigging and weighting tutorial. That will likely be next, or an animating tutorial for Blender, as I haven't done 1 yet.

LepreKhaun wrote:

Thank you for a great introductory tutorial to unwrapping!

This may clear up a lot of confusion the novice experiences when being confronted with the many options available in Blender, giving them a reference framework to decide what is best for their own model.

Thanks Leprekhaun! I really try to remember what it was like when I learned, and the questions or confusions I had. I don't know if that comes thru, but that's what I think about when I make tutorials.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

MIstahMoose wrote:

Not insulting you or your effort for the community. Just stating that it was a bit convoluted and could be improved to give users a better understanding.

Convoluted is what LL did with Fitted Mesh, not this video. You have your opinions and that is all they are. I don't mind the criticism, but just point out what is opinion and what is not. Like I said before, if you paid attention to the video, most of the same points you make, I make in the video. The only reason I did this video was because I was asked to make it. I actually pointed these people to other tutorials that I think are good, but they told me they couldn't follow them. They said they like the way I show and describe things. If I was not asked, I would not have made this video. I would have actually made a rigging and weighting tutorial. That will likely be next, or an animating tutorial for Blender, as I haven't done 1 yet.

I would really like a tutorial on animating in Blender, as Qavimator does not work on my iMac any more. 

The problem with most tutorial makers is that while they know their stuff, they may not know how to communicate it on a level a beginner can understand.  All that basic knowledge that is assumed the audience have -- I don't have. And what I want is just something so I can get started and actually make something -- I can refine and add to that basic skill as I develop. But too often I was just left stuck in the middle of a tutorial not knowing how the presenter got from one step to the next. (People who know me in this forum know that if something is not "for dummies" I am not going to understand it.)

I'll do 1 soon. It's funny but, you'd think I'd be like the quazi expert in Blender animation, but I've dealt mostly with motion capture in Blender, until recently. I hadn't played much with Avastar's IK cause motion capture doesn't use IK. Recently tho, I've had a bunch of animation projects that needed me to make it all by hand. Plus, I really wanted to try creating a Michael Jackson animation by playing the video in the background and building the animation off of Michael's movements. Check it out!

It was so fun, It wasn't even like working. The spinning was crazy tho. Even with 30 fps, I barely had enough frames to get it to work right. So, yeah, I've had a chance to really play with the system now.

You will need Avastar. It just makes everything so much easier.

Sassy Romano wrote:

An age old method known as rotoscoping.

I did the same with a mocap that had so many glitches that it was easier to rotoscope it from the imported capture.

Good to know. I'm always bad with names or labels. I was even going to track the camera for this, but it really only moved to the side, so I figured why take the time. Plus, there wasn't really enough items to track the camera.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.