Hello from Linden Lab’s New CEO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Silvertrod wrote:

Oh well now I feel silly for asking for something that already exists but can't learn if you don't ask the question I suppose.  Thanks for the letting me know that its possible to do the land tier transfer  Storm Clarence.

Well then ask your question in the ANSWERS section of the forum.  Why bother the CEO?  Is it a sense of entitlement?  Is this the Obama generation . . . ?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better yet... bring back Last Names, but continue to allow use of Display Names. They (LL) could even include "Resident" as a permanent last name in the list, so you don't have to worry about people feeling obligated to remember your last name or to make any use of it beyond your Display Name.

Also, there could be a much longer list that's easy to browse (instead of the different weird setups they had along the way).

Silvertrod wrote:

Oh well now I feel silly for asking for something that already exists but can't learn if you don't ask the question I suppose.  Thanks for the letting me know that its possible to do the land tier transfer  Storm Clarence.

No need to feel silly, Silver. You didn't know, and as you say, if you don't ask questions . . . !

Storm's point about using SL Answers is a good one: it's a fabulous place to get quick responses to relatively small and manageable questions. There are some wonderfully knowledgeable and very friendly people there (look for Rolig Loon, who is the best, but others who respond there also post here on the forums!). They really are a wonderful community of residents who give up their own time, free of charge, to help others.

SL Answers however is a bit hampered by the software, which doesn't, in my experience, seem to permit threads to respond to complicated questions or ones with multiple answers once the question has been deemed "answered," so the forums can also be a great place to ask questions if you think the answer is likely to be very involved or complicated.

Hope to see you here again. :-)

Silvertrod wrote:

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Silvertrod

You have no need to feel at all silly, but the truth is you would have to abandon your Linden home before opting to purchase a parcel of land on the mainland. If it was 512m in size then you would not incur any tier fees, that would be part of your free entitlement as a premium resident.  Mainland parcels can be found at very low prices currently, although they do vary, depending on location, and current ownership.  Land that automatically was put up for resale after a resident abandoned it will cost 1L$ per sq m, but there are land dealers that sell for less than that. You would have to look around and get a feel for a sim.

Then there is the matter of a house, of course. It would be rather fab if you could have a home like the ones you can choose from on the Linden Homes sims, and just have it appear like magic from a rez box, but currently you have the options to either build your own home, up to the maximum 117 prim allowance on a 512m parcel, or you can look around inworld for stores, or on the Second Life Marketplace website for a house that will fit on your parcel.

Linden Home sims are great value, because you get 117 prims on top of what is already there on the land, but on mainland, 117 is all you have, and it can be quite a challenge to create a furnished home with such a small amount of prims.

More about land ownership can be found in the official Second Life Knowledge Base. See tab above - quick link here...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Buying-land/ta-p/700043

Ebbe Linden wrote:

Not sure it's Dunning-Kruger Effect as I have no illusion of being a good speller...

Sure seems like we have some D-K customers who think they know product management though
;)

Welcome back, Ebbe. 

I know absolutely nothing about product management. But I do know where the comfiest couch for sitting here is. It's right over there ------>

Lovely to see you here again. :-)

Marigold Devin wrote:

Silvertrod wrote:

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Silvertrod

You have no need to feel at all silly, but the truth is you would have to abandon your Linden home before opting to
purchase
a parcel of land on the mainland. If it was 512m in size then you would not incur any tier fees, that would be part of your free entitlement as a premium resident.  Mainland parcels can be found at very low prices currently, although they do vary, depending on location, and current ownership.  Land that automatically was put up for resale after a resident abandoned it will cost 1L$ per sq m, but there are land dealers that sell for less than that. You would have to look around and get a feel for a sim.

Then there is the matter of a house, of course. It would be rather fab if you could have a home like the ones you can choose from on the Linden Homes sims, and just have it appear like magic from a rez box, but currently you have the options to either build your own home, up to the maximum 117 prim allowance on a 512m parcel, or you can look around inworld for stores, or on the Second Life Marketplace website for a house that will fit on your parcel.

Linden Home sims are great value, because you get 117 prims on top of what is already there on the land, but on mainland, 117 is all you have, and it can be quite a challenge to create a furnished home with such a small amount of prims.

More about land ownership can be found in the official Second Life Knowledge Base. See tab above - quick link here...

Silver, this is what I mean. This kind of person, and this kind of answer. ^^^

Silvertrod wrote:

Allow me to elaborate in the information Storm has supplied you.  When you become a premium member, you are given 512 sq meters of land which you can either use by moving into a Linden Home or by purchasing a 512 sq m parcel on mainland.  So, if you have a Linden Home and would want to "transfer" that free tier to a mainland parcel, you'd first have to abandon for Linden Home then pay either another resident for a parcel or, in the case of an abandoned parcel, pay Linden Lab either through a land auction or by filing a ticket to request the purchase of a specific plot.  In other words, the transfer is free but the parcel itself is not.

For more information check out the following links:

Buying Land - for the basics.

Abandoned Land - for purchasing or requesting to purchase abandoned land specifically.

...Dres

ETA: Well, it seems I should've read this whole thread before posting this, since Marigold already provided you with this information and in a much more effective manner than I was able to achieve.

My appologise to Ebbe Linden for turning his welcome to SL  thread into a help the newbie on purchasing land in SL with my post.  Thank you  to everyone for the helpful information and links that were so quickly provided.  Welcome again to SL Ebbe and best of luck to you. 

Welcome to Second Life, Mr. Altberg, I wish you can find it as enjoyable and interesting as the regular users find it, I hope your ideas and research will give it a boost beyond what we imagine, and that your projects will come true as seamless as possible.

Welcome to the forums, is very good to see the new CEO getting in so close contact with the users, who have been loving SL and struggling to make it a better during many years, thru Jiras, helping users, providing places for newcomers to jump start, all of that for free, for the love of Second Life.

listen to them, to the old users, you have very knowledgable Lindens surrounding you as your employees, take into account also the ones who has seen Second Life grow and overcome obstacles, who have experienced first hand the problems that this platform have and have worked to bring solutions that the Lab could take into account.

one of those solutions is the comeback of Last Names (yes, that issue again), the users had a long talk with the previous CEO, collectibly we came to a very reasonable, flexible solution, we consider the reasons why Linden Lab decided to stop using them, and we provided a solution that would work without affecting the reason why it was stopped.

the answer of that CEO was simply: No.

in many decisions you make, please take the advice of the users, they could be as much as a big resource of information as the Lindens could be, they have a tremendous amount of experience beyond what the small number of Lindens could have accumulated over the years, these users that have been faithful to this virtual world for years have the same passion than your employees, we love Second Life and we really want it to be succesful.

thanks for your interest in Second Life, here's wishing the best for you, Linden Lab, and the user base under your managment.

Ebbe Linden wrote:

[...] Sure seems like we have some D-K customers who think they know product management though
;)

That's fair.

So of course I'll chime in. Kinda.

You know, those products that are getting shut down? That's good. Focus is good.

So I don't want to risk distraction, but some of the technology behind Versu and Dio might, just might be relevant to Second Life, to the extent that they can help SL creators generate more immersive user experiences, including narratives and interactive NPCs. That's certainly not how these products packaged their technology, and maybe the developers on those products just aren't interested in SL, or maybe other business arrangements have been made. Or maybe there's just nothing to be gained here for other reasons, but there is very definitely a need for tools to help create better SL experiences. This need is also being addressed in part by a project called "eXperience Permissions" that should be a step in that very important direction (although we users don't really know much about it yet).

With or without contributions derived from LL's investment in those products, SL's future is more interesting to the extent it offers users more interesting stuff to do in-world.

Ebbe Linden wrote:

Sure seems like we have some D-K customers who think they know product management though
;)

Boy did you got that one right.

And I like the way you have initiated the rationalisation process.

Now you need to kill multiple platforms, raise equipment specifications to eliminate resource-poor users, institute undocumented critical APIs into the viewer, and desupport antique operating systems.

Just like Microsoft.

Wooja...wanttoalienateseveralvocalminorities

ETA Have you persuaded Rick and your Board yet, to license the Talk.co technology to support intra-community communication in LL?

-The arrival of a new CEO always has some of us who create "Adult Content" in SL feeling a bit nervous, since some of your predecessors have given the impression they find us rather an embarrassment and that they'd rather pretend we weren't around.    Some of us still have rather bitter memories of how we were packed off to Zindra.

Your immediate predecessor always seemed to me, at least, reasonably supportive of SL's Adult Content market, in that he made us a lot more visible and seemed content for LL to work with projects like the Adult Hub, in which I'm involved, who provide an orientation and resource centre for new people who are particularly interested in Adult SL.

Do you have any particular views on Adult SL?  Are we, in your view, a welcome part of the economy who help attract new customers, or would you rather we had a lower profile?

I can only second Innula's worries and encourage Ebbe to reply to them.

After reading Ebbe's first pieces of nice prose, I can only worry about how "adult stuff" (yes, do read it as "virtual sex", "weird, exotic and twisted kinks" and "immoral role-play" between avatars pertaining to consenting adults) will be dealt with in the future.

I especially dread the day when teens would be allowed to interact with adults in SL. As an adult, I don't want to risk role-playing with a teen thinking they are an adult.

I also hated how LL segregated us, "adult roleplayers", into Zindra, while what would have been the right thing to do would have been to create a PG continent for educational and teen use instead and let the rest of the gird as it was (there was especially no need to create an "Adult" rating: "Mature" was explicit enough and appropriate).

I'd urge LL's new CEO not to make a mistake: "adult stuff" drives a very large part of the SL economy. It must be acknowledged and welcomed by LL, instead of being seen as a "dirty little secret" that should be hidden behind a pseudo Disney Land-like front window.

Dear Mr. Altberg:

Some time ago we merchants responded to a survey about marketplace search (http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Help-Improve-Marketplace-Search-with-Your-Opinions/...  

Some merchants posted their thoughts in more detail than the survey allowed in a forum thread here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Help-Improve-Market-Place-Search/m-p/2384197/highlight/...

We have heard nothing about the results of that survey, or any plans that may have been made based on it. There has been no communication on this or any other issue of very great concern to merchants.  We hope you will encourage the Commerce Team (if there is one, we no longer have any idea) to share their plans with us.

Wooja wrote:

Ebbe Linden wrote:

Not sure it's Dunning-Kruger Effect as I have no illusion of being a good speller...

So it's just laziness and disdain for your audience then.

Wooja...expectanythingless

And as you've noticed by now, we also have a troll. Ours doesn't make Saabs though - in fact he doesn't make much of anything.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:

I can only second Innula's worries and encourage Ebbe to reply to them.

After reading Ebbe's first pieces of nice prose, I can only worry about how "adult stuff" (yes, do read it as "virtual sex", "weird, exotic and twisted kinks" and "immoral role-play" between avatars pertaining to consenting adults) will be dealt with in the future.

I especially dread the day when teens would be allowed to interact with adults in SL. As an adult, I don't want to risk role-playing with a teen thinking they are an adult.

I also hated how LL segregated us, "adult roleplayers", into Zindra, while what would have been the right thing to do would have been to create a PG continent for educational and teen use instead and let the rest of the gird as it was (there was especially no need to create an "Adult" rating: "Mature" was explicit enough and appropriate).

I'd urge LL's new CEO not to make a mistake: "adult stuff" drives a very large part of the SL economy. It must be acknowledged and welcomed by LL, instead of being seen as a "dirty little secret" that should be hidden behind a pseudo Disney Land-like front window.

I respectfully disagree. I think we need younger people here, and more of them: they are the future. It is possible, using rating systems and, possibly, by putting back into force a more stringent age verification regime, to have both teens and adults here. 

I also disagree with the notion of getting rid of the "adult" classification. This is sort of what I meant in the comment above about a too narrow view of the experience of SL: there is, or certainly should be, a difference between an experience of SL that falls under the "Adult" rating, and one that is "Moderate."

There is an enormous difference between wandering around a sim and running across, for instance, a nude beach or artwork featuring nudity, and tripping over a Dolcet or Gor sim. And I'm pretty sure that I speak for a majority in that regard.

To be honest, I'd like to see the "violence" part of the Adult rating focussed upon more than the sex side: I'm much more personally offended and disturbed by animations involving snuff and dismemberment than I am ones that represent (please note my use of this word!) consensual sexuality.

There are times when i go to Adult sims. But I do so consciously, knowing what to expect there. That's what "empowering" the user is all about: giving us more choices.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I respectfully disagree. I think we need younger people here, and more of them: they are the future. It is possible, using rating systems and, possibly, by putting back into force a more stringent age verification regime, to have both teens and adults here.

The former adult checking system (with Aristotle) was making it *impossible* for most EU residents to get verified (because despite their claim, Aristotle had no access whatsoever to privacy sensitive databases in EU: unlike in the US, privacy DOES matter here !). Putting it back (or something similar) in force would be extremely dangerous since it means many, many, many adult residents would suddenly loose access to Adult sims (not to mention that any US teen could perfectly (and many probably did) give the details of their parents and get their avatar "verified" as a result) !!!

You simply have to accept that, while a company such as LL *must* try and restrict access to adults for adult stuff, there is no way to ensure that a teen will never get access to things they should never see (this is not only true in SL, but anywhere on Internet).

I simply don't want for LL to make it feel like teens are welcome to do what Ebbe's son did, because this is putting both the teens and the adults into danger !!!

I also disagree with the notion of getting rid of the "adult" classification. This is sort of what I meant in the comment above about a too narrow view of the experience of SL: there is, or certainly should be, a difference between an experience of SL that falls under the "Adult" rating, and one that is "Moderate." There is an enormous difference between wandering around a sim and running across, for instance, a nude beach or artwork featuring nudity, and tripping over a Dolcet or Gor sim. And I'm pretty sure that I speak for a majority in that regard.

That's what PG sims (now "General") are for !!! PG sims are like the streets in real-life: you normally (i.e. as long as no one violates the Law) don't see violent or sexual stuff in RL when you walk down a street... RL streets are "PG" (i.e. safe for teens and even children to roam in).

The former "Mature" (now "Moderate") rating did correspond to what is now flagged "Adult". There's no need at all for an "Adult" rating: that one was invented to segregate "adult stuff" into the newly created Zindra, but if you do roam SL enough in search for "adult stuff", you'll find it in "Moderate" sims as well, and since teens are limited to "PG" sims it's not a problem either.

To be honest, I'd like to see the "violence" part of the Adult rating focussed upon more than the sex side: I'm much more personally offended and disturbed by animations involving snuff and dismemberment than I am ones that represent (please note my use of this word!) consensual sexuality.

"Violence" is part of what I called "Immoral roleplay" in my post: I could have written "roleplay that is legal (even if disturbing to many) because it's pure fantasy in SL, but that would be illegal if the depicted actions were to be acted out in real life"...

Henri Beauchamp wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:
I respectfully disagree. I think we need younger people here, and more of them: they are the future. It is possible, using rating systems and, possibly, by putting back into force a more stringent age verification regime, to have both teens and adults here.

<p>The former adult checking system (with Aristotle) was making it *impossible* for most EU residents to get verified (because despite their claim, Aristotle had no access whatsoever to privacy sensitive databases in EU: unlike in the US, privacy DOES matter here !). Putting it back (or something similar) in force would be extremely dangerous since it means many, many, many adult residents would suddenly loose access to Adult sims (not to mention that any US teen could perfectly (and many probably did) give the details of their parents and get their avatar "verified" as a result) !!!</p>

<p>You simply have to accept that, while a company such as LL *must* try and restrict access to adults for adult stuff, there is no way to ensure that a teen will never get access to things they should not see on Internet (this is not only true in SL, but anywhere on Internet).</p>

<p>I simply don't want for LL to make it feel like teens are welcome to do what Ebbe's son did, because this is putting both the teens and the adults into danger !!!</p>

What we are really talking about here is what will make LL safe from legal action, right? As you note, if a teen can fake an age verification on a platform that permits teens but is segregated by content, he/she can do so just as easily in one that excludes them. So simply telling teens that they are unwelcome in SL isn't going to solve your problem either.

I remember the problems with Aristotle, and agree that this is an issue: there must, presumably, be a better system that will cover LL's legal behind, while still permitting teens here. Because, again, the ones who are going to break the rules can and will do so whatever is put into place.

I have no problems whatsoever with a segregated area like the teen grid. In fact, that was a pretty vibrant, if very small, community. Intelligently managed, it could serve as a way of nurturing future adult SLers by introducing them to the platform.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:

I also disagree with the notion of getting rid of the "adult" classification. This is sort of what I meant in the comment above about a too narrow view of the experience of SL: there is, or certainly should be, a difference between an experience of SL that falls under the "Adult" rating, and one that is "Moderate." There is an enormous difference between wandering around a sim and running across, for instance, a nude beach or artwork featuring nudity, and tripping over a Dolcet or Gor sim. And I'm pretty sure that I speak for a majority in that regard.

<p>That's what PG sims (now "General") are for !!! PG sims are like the streets in real-life: you (normally, i.e. as long as no one violates the Law) see violent or sexual stuff in RL when you walk down a street... RL streets are "PG" (i.e. safe for teens and even children to roam in).</p>

<p>The former "Mature" (now "Moderate") rating did correspond to what is now flagged "Adult". There's no need at all for an "Adult" rating: that one was invented to segregate "adult stuff" into the newly created Zindra, but if you do roam SL enough in search for "adult stuff", you'll find it in "Moderate" sims as well, and since teens are limited to "PG" sims it's not a problem either.</p>

A very large number of residents would like to experience a grown-up environment that also doesn't mean inadvertently happening upon really explicit or ultra-violent stuff. There is a reason why, despite the slow expansion of Adult areas, "Moderate" is still by far and away the most popular rating. And even ignoring the possible presence of teens, I've no doubt that there are adults who prefer "General" even to "Moderate." Why would we not also cater to their preferences?

Movies have a graduated ratings system so that I'm not forced to watch nothing but Disney films if I don't want to run the risk of inadvertently finding myself sitting through an ultra-violent or ultra-explicitly sexual movie. Again, ratings provide me with the tools I need to make intelligent choices for myself.

Given that you produce adult products, I entirely understand why you don't like to have access to your content restricted by a ratings system. Please understand, however, that there are a great many of us -- perhaps a majority -- who have no problems with, and may even seek out, nudity or mild violence (for instance, a basic combat or zombie sim) but don't want to be unwillingly exposed to Dolcet or "forced sex" toys.

Henri Beauchamp wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

<p>"Violence" is part of what I called "Immoral roleplay" in my post: I could have written "roleplay that is legal because it's pure fantasy in SL, but that would be illegal if the depicted actions were to be acted out in real life"...</p>

Well, this is a personal choice, and I expressed it as such. This has nothing to do with trying to enforce morality: catering to a diverse variety of different understandings of morals or ethics is the reason we have adult-rated sims. I'm not trying to stop you from engaging in rape play: I just don't want to be exposed to it myself -- unless I choose to be.

What it is about is personal choice. Ratings enable that: they allow me to customize my own experience, according to my own tastes and morals.

Edited because I misunderstood something Henri said. It happens. :-)

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Wooja wrote:

Ebbe Linden wrote:

So it's just laziness and disdain for your audience then.

Wooja...expectanythingless

And as you've noticed by now, we also have a troll. Ours doesn't make Saabs though - in fact he doesn't make much of anything.

Except sense.

Wooja...expectanythingelsefromsomeonewhorpsanabusedteenager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.