Predatory Professor or Scheming Student?

Wooja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wooja wrote:

The recent OBR event relating to the incidence of sexual violence against women
raised my awareness
of

Wooja . . . expecthertohavecalledthepolice

Apparently your awareness of what OBR events are actually about was not raised. While sexual violence is certainly a part of the issue, OBR protests violence against women, period. Not just sexual, Not even mostly about sexual, actually. A couple of passages from their main site:

"ONE BILLION RISING FOR JUSTICE is a global call to women survivors of violence and those who love them to gather safely in community outside places where they are entitled to justice – courthouses, police stations, government offices, school administration buildings, work places, sites of environmental injustice, military courts, embassies, places of worship, homes, or simply public gathering places where women deserve to feel safe but too often do not.  It is a call to survivors to break the silence and release their stories....

Our stories have been buried, denied, erased, altered, and minimized by patriarchal systems that allow impunity to reign. Justice begins when we speak, release, and acknowledge the truth in solidarity and community. ONE BILLION RISING FOR JUSTICE is an invitation to break free from confinement, obligation, shame, guilt, grief, pain, humiliation, rage, and bondage."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wooja wrote:

raised my awareness
of

Apparently your awareness of what OBR events are actually 
about
was not raised. While sexual violence is certainly a part of the issue, OBR protests violence against women, period. Not just sexual, Not even mostly about sexual, actually. A couple of passages from their main site:

"ONE BILLION RISING FOR JUSTICE is a global call to women survivors of violence and those who love them to gather safely in community outside places where they are entitled to justice – courthouses, police stations, government offices, school administration buildings, work places, sites of environmental injustice, military courts, embassies, places of worship, homes, or simply public gathering places where women deserve to feel safe but too often do not.  It is a call to survivors to break the silence and release their stories....

Our stories have been buried, denied, erased, altered, and minimized by patriarchal systems that allow impunity to reign. Justice begins when we speak, release, and acknowledge the truth in solidarity and community. ONE BILLION RISING FOR JUSTICE is an invitation to break free from confinement, obligation, shame, guilt, grief, pain, humiliation, rage, and bondage."

Thank you for this, Dillon. :-)

Pep and I have had just this very discussion on my blog.

It will surprise you to hear that I don't think he was persuaded.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wooja wrote:

raised my awareness
of

Apparently your awareness of what OBR events are actually 
about
was not raised. While sexual violence is certainly a part of the issue, OBR protests violence against women, period. Not just sexual, Not even mostly about sexual, actually. A couple of passages from their main site:

Very good point to clarify OBR.

Wooja wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I have no better an idea than you what happened. But if the university's Office for Sexual Harassment Prevention DID investigate, and found that a professor 
engaged in "
unwelcome
and inappropriate sexual advances," then they at least should have acted.

in the days after the incident, which the university might have been provided access to
and which might have indicated that advances might  not only be welcomed, but encouraged, might have had something to do with the university (not) acting as they did.

Wooja . . . putmoneyonwhoisgoingtowinthisone

Regardless of whether the student was making advances toward the professor or not, Northwestern University's policy is clear about no romantic or sexual relationships between faculty and undergraduates. It's a convoluted policy but the relevant passage is found on page 3 in big bold letters

"When undergraduate students are involved, the difference in institutional power and inherent risk of coercion are so great that no faculty member or coaching staff member shall enter into a romantic, dating, or sexual relationship with a Northwestern undergraduate student, regardless of whether there is a supervisory or evaluative relationship between them."

Whether she was throwing herself at him, had a crush on him or expressed her undying love and romantic/sexual desires (if she did) is immaterial.  Seeing that such feelings do not lead to romantic or sexual relations is the responsibility of the faculty member, not the student. It is the school's policy, and it seems they may not be very vigilent in enforcing it.

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

Wooja wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

I have no better an idea than you what happened. But if the university's Office for Sexual Harassment Prevention DID investigate, and found that a professor 
engaged in "
unwelcome
and inappropriate sexual advances," then they at least should have acted.

in the days after the incident, which the university might have been provided access to
and which might have indicated that advances might  not only be welcomed, but encouraged, might have had something to do with the university (not) acting as they did.

Wooja . . . putmoneyonwhoisgoingtowinthisone

Regardless of whether the student was making advances toward the professor or not, Northwestern University's policy is clear about no romantic or sexual relationships between faculty and undergraduates. It's a convoluted policy but the relevant passage is found on page 3 in big bold letters

"When undergraduate students are involved, the difference in institutional power and inherent risk of coercion are so great that no faculty member or coaching staff member shall enter into a romantic, dating, or sexual relationship with a Northwestern undergraduate student, regardless of whether there is a supervisory or evaluative relationship between them."

Whether she was throwing herself at him, had a crush on him or expressed her undying love and romantic/sexual desires (if she did) is immaterial.  Seeing that such feelings do not lead to romantic or sexual relations is the responsibility of the faculty member, not the student. It is the school's policy, and it seems they may not be very vigilent in enforcing it.

That particular policy was only added this past January.

Nonetheless, you are absolutely right: the principles that it articulates apply, or should apply, to any student/instructor relationship anywhere, whether it's been codified or not.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

That particular policy was only added this past January.

So there weren't even any official guidelines in place at the time.

The incident actually took place two years ago.

And also the student first went to the police over a year later.

I said in my OP "I suggest that you read the details very carefully".

Wooja...believethatireadeverythingicouldfindonthenetbeforeistartedthisthread

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perhaps he was as confused by the incoherent message of what OBR was about as these guys:

obr.jpg

Wooja...believeifoundthisonlaskyastwitteraccount

Wooja wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perhaps he was as confused by the incoherent message of what OBR was about as these guys:

obr.jpg

Wooja...believeifoundthisonlaskyastwitteraccount

Thank you for sharing the picture; it's gratifying to see some males in there supporting the cause, as a great many do. I'm not sure what it has to do with OBR, but I'm fairly confident the people behind OBR would welcome and encourage that effort and support it completely.

ETA a comma I thought needed to be there.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I'm not sure what it has to do with OBR

Thereby demonstrating that you are as confused about OBR's point as anyone, putting your previous criticisms into context.

Wooja...believeitsasouthafricachapterofobr

Wooja wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Thereby demonstrating that you are as confused about OBR's point as anyone, putting your previous criticisms into context.

Oh, I see. You mistook my attempt at pointing out your error (without sounding overly critical) for confusion. Let me rephrase by replacing "...not sure what it has to do with OBR" with what I was actually thinking.

"I'm not sure why you thought that particular image was connected in some way to OBR since there is no mention of same in the words. Also the message and apparent intent, while laudable, address only a part of the greater message of OBR...."

edited for rearranging

claremont.png

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Wooja wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Oh, I see. You mistook my attempt at pointing out your error (without sounding overly critical) for confusion. Let me rephrase by replacing "...not sure what it has to do with OBR" with what I was actually thinking.

"I'm not sure why you thought that particular image was connected in some way to OBR since there is no mention of same in the words. Also the message and apparent intent, while laudable, address only a part of the greater message of OBR...."

edited for rearranging

I searched for the image Wooja posted with tinyeye and google and got no results.  I did however find this.  I am wondering now if the image Wooja posted came from this seperate event.  Perhaps he can provide us with a link to his source.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I searched for the image Wooja posted with tinyeye and google and got no results.  I did however find this.  I am wondering now if the image Wooja posted came from this seperate event.  Perhaps he can provide us with a link to his source.

You can find the original here: https://twitter.com/OBRSA/status/434783246661193728

I found it on Laskya's Twitter account: https://twitter.com/LaskyaClaren as I pointed out on my original post of the image.

Wooja...expectdillontogetitrightnotreally

Wooja wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

You can find the original here:

I found it on Laskya's Twitter account:
as I pointed out on my original post of the image.

I was about to confirm this myself. The image is a retweet from One Billion Rising South Africa, and was in turn borrowed from another South African activist.

I'm rather failing to see the point of this. A picture of a single mosque group in South Africa holding a banner against sexual violence that may (or indeed may not) have been part of the global OBR event is meant to somehow show that the entire global event was actually only about rape and sexual violence? This is supposed to reveal the "secret hidden agenda" of the entire world-wide event? Really?

There are so many logical fallacies at work here that I can't begin to list them.

One Billion Rising is about sexual violence, but it is not only about sexual violence: it's also about domestic abuse, abuse in the workplace, sweatshop labour, the modern slave trade, the exploitation of immigrant women, codified and systemic religious-based discrimination and violence offered against women, etc., etc., etc.

And to repeat what I told a good "friend" of Wooja when he tried to make this same point on my blog posting about OBR in SL, any one visiting the in-world event, or even scanning the pics I posted on my blog, will recognize that the focus of the event was very broad indeed, and not limited to sexual violence. In fact, I don't think I saw a single exhibit or installation there that was solely about sexual violence, although Betty Tureaud's piece certainly alluded to it.

(Edited for clarity and precision)

Wooja wrote:

But isn't ALL "gender violence" "sexual violence" - according to OBR, that is?

Wooja...clarifythatplease

Um, no. "Sex," or "sexuality," and "gender" are two very different things.

In normal usage in this context, "gender" refers to socially-constructed roles "assigned" to particular classes of people, often on the basis of biological sex, but otherwise arbitrarily determined. For instance, the stereotype that women are more emotional than men is "gendered." The notion in, some parts of the world, that women must be covered up is gendered, not "sexual."

Sex can refer either to biological assignment, or, more obviously, to actions or objects that our culture has determined are somehow related to sexual intercourse and associated activities.

Wooja wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

You can find the original here:

I found it on Laskya's Twitter account:
as I pointed out on my original post of the image.

Next time I will pay closer attention.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The problem Perrie is of course that you aren't following me on Twitter.

As world-recognized authority on EVERYTHING TO DO WITH FEMINISM AND WiMMEN (you can just ask Wooja, he'll tell you), I am the central clearing house for all that kinda stuff, not to mention an endless lumberroom full of materials for trolling posts and provocative comments.

Get with the programme, please.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

The problem Perrie is of course that you aren't following me on Twitter.

As world-recognized authority on EVERYTHING TO DO WITH FEMINISM AND WiMMEN (you can just ask Wooja, he'll tell you), I am the central clearing house for all that kinda stuff, not to mention an endless lumberroom full of materials for trolling posts and provocative comments.

Get with the programme, please.

See, that's why I wasn't surprised when I saw in the original fluff line or whatever he calls it that the image was found on your Twitter. I mean, why would it not be there? You're the single authority on all things feminist, right? Thanks for the further clarification, too.

And I see what you meant about  not being persuaded back there ;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.