How do I report a merchant on Marketplace for selling obviously copybotted items!?

Raven Darkheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Justine Kingmaker wrote:

How do I go about reporting a merchant on Marketplace that is boldly selling items that are obviously copybot'd from many other designers!? 

You can be a good neighbour and inform the person who you believe has fallen victim to a copybotter of what you have found and let them file a report against that person for copyright.

• Like 1

By U.S. Law, the only person who can file a DMCA complaint for infringement of intellectual property rights is the creator of the work that was copied or stolen.  If YOUR work was copied by the merchant, you may file a DMCA complaint.  Again, by law, Linden Lab is required to remove the offending item.  If you did not create the item, however, you have no legal standing to complain.  The most you can do is send the creator a friendly note.  It's his/her rights that are being infringed, not yours.

See http://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php

• Like 2

You can contact the deisgners you think have been ripped off. If they have been, it is up to them to pursue it or not.

However, there are creators who sell full permission templates and sculpts, meshes, and textures for just about anything anyone can make in S, skins, hair, eyes, and clothes included. Some designers use the same purchased templates and textures, etc. as others. You have no way of knowing whether these are stolen or not.

• Like 2

Disgusting. Go ahead and contact the merchants that sell the originals. I've done this before and they were very appreciative. Often times Merchants will have their IM's capped, or wont pay attention to them at all. So Send them an IM telling them the situation, and include a heads up that you'll be sending them a notecard with the information as well. Then create a notecard with the same info and send them that too. Make sure the title of the card stands out and lets them know their stuff is being sold fraufdulently. After that it's up to them to persue any legal action. Thank you for your concern. I for one, and I'm sure the SL community is greatly appreciative. We all have to watch out for one another. Have an awesome SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.