Android viewer

Alby Noel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Only one: Lumiya.  And it's the only mobile viewer of any kind that offers graphics.  All the others are text-only.  Lumiya is remarkably good, considering that SL is a graphics-heavy environment that needs a gaming quality computer to really run well.  I wouldn't want to spend much of my SL time on any mobile device, but at least Lumiya lets you see where you are going.

• Like 2

Lumiya really is very remarkable, considering it's designed to run off phones and tablets.   As Rolig says, it's not a substitute for the real viewer, but it's extremely powerful for what it is.    I've spent a lot of time in hospital over the last year, on and off, so I found myself using it quite frequently,  and I found it more than adequate for just looking into SL for an hour or so, to catch up with friends or to take care of business.

• Like 1

while luminya is the only one that provides sl graphics on andriod, it is not the only one and it costs money as well.  The one I used is LittleSight Release-completley free of charge to use for IM'ing your friends but requires money for the option to telelport or to send your avatar anywhere except their sim upon login (such as log in at the last location or at home).

There is also the MobileGrid client.  This one has more functions than LittleSight whcih doesnt support anything besides messaging, but doesnt offer graphics the way Luminya does either (honestly though, a cellphone's screen is too small to be able to do much with the graphics anyways).  This one allows for IM messaging as well as group messages, the ability to teleport and accept teleports, the ability to start at any location of your choosing, as well as the ability to view profiles, and use your inventory.  However, with this one there is a price after a 14 day free trial (which you can circumvent by using the program sporadically when you need it-it cant remember if you've used it before if you use it for 2 weeks, uninstall it, and  then not touch it for some time-ive used at least 3 free trials on this program on my phone by now.)

Yes, but the Lumiya viewer only costs $2.95 and is far more versatile than any of the other viewers. It even supports RLV! I've tried the others you mention, and in my view, at least on a tablet like my Nexus 7, Lumiya beats them hands down, despite the cost, if you want to do more than simply send and receive messages in SL. I certainly regard the £1.80 or whatever it was Google Play charged me for Lumiya as the best value I've received for a couple of £ in quite some time!

I have to dispute Caimartinjg's claim that the phone screen is too small. Lumiya works brilliantly on my Motorola Moto X Smart Phone. The developer is very experienced in SL development and has made very spot on decisions in terms of where to spend the available CPU & GPU cycles on the modern high-end Android Smart Phones. The cost of $2.99 to purchase the app is worth every penny + some.

I find I can not only get dressed using my phone, but I can accurately interact with objects in my immediate field of view. High end options such as cam are included so you can examine your field of view from a mobile cam in-world including yourself from the front POV.

The developer also doesn't limit the application to only high-end Android Smart Phones. She allows those functions that will work on lower-end SPs to operate as they are able.

The Bottom Line: If you can afford a Android Smart Phone, you can surely afford this app.

P.S. Here are sample Screen Shots from the website. My results were just as nice.

http://www.lumiyaviewer.com/index.php/screenshots

P.S.S. If you have the need to interact with Groups with more than Chat & Notices then you may also need one of the Text-Only clients for your Android Smart Phone as well. The current Lumiya feature list is as follows:

Lumiya feature matrix

While not yet a replacement for desktop viewer, Lumiya includes many features expected from a modern Second Life or OpenSim viewer, including mesh content support, RLV compatibility and server-side baking.

IM and chat

• Local chat
  • Private IMs
  • Sending and receiving teleport requests
  • Sending and accepting friend invitations
  • Sending and receiving L$s
  • Group conversations and notices

Inventory management

• Inventory browsing and search
  • Using and creating landmarks
  • Copy, remove and delete functions
  • Sharing items
  • Accepting inventory offers
  • Creating and editing notecards
  • Support for attachments in notecards
  • Viewing images from inventory

Interaction with objects

• Touching and sitting on objects
  • Paying L$ via objects
  • Rezzing objects and taking them back to inventory
  • Retrieving object contents

3D view

• Sculpted objects
  • Flexible objects
  • Mesh objects and clothing
  • Interacting with objects by touch
  • HUDs
  • Floating text

• Wearing and removing clothes and attachments
  • Using My Outfits
  • Ready for server-side baking
  • Multiple clothing layers and multiple attachments

Miscellaneous

• Region minimap
  • Region restart for land owners
  • Chat and IM logging
  • Playing parcel sound streams
  • RLV functions (RLV API 1.10)

Not yet supported

• Group management
  • Object and script editing
  • Uploading images
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3714 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.