Mesh lag

GLaDOS9000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had just updated my second life viewer to the latest one and for some reason i am getting lag whenever i look at rigged mesh on avatars. I currently have the second life viewer version 3.7.1.286557. I don't know what it is or how to solve this. I am currently running on a mac and it seems no one else is having this trouble from what my friend has told me. I looked at the lag meter and the client says either images loading or too many complex objects in scene. I want to keep atmospheric shaders on and if i turn that off the mesh stretches across the screen.

When i have hardware skinning enabled with any rigged mesh i see to get a lot of lag.

EDIT: 

I finally managed to upgrade to OS X Mavericks and everything is working now.

Thanks for the help!

2 answers to this question

This sounds like a DNS problem that is more troublesome for Mac owners than for the rest of us.  This discussion from the Firestorm wiki may help.  If so, read more at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/dns_fail

This is a collection of symptoms, all or some of which you may be experiencing together. If you have them on Firestorm, then you will experience them on other V3 viewers (like the official LL viewer) but not on V1 viewers (like Phoenix). The fix is very easy but not especially intuitive.

Possible symptoms:

• Crashing or getting logged out on all or most teleports;
  • Friends list and groups list not loading;
  • Inability to view any mesh;
  • Inability to view “About Land”;
  • Inability to open notecards;
  • SLVoice does not connect.

How to fix this:

• On your Mac, open System Preferences and go to Network > Advanced > DNS
  • Hit the plus button (+) and type in the numbers 8.8.8.8.
  • Hit the plus button (+) and type in the numbers 8.8.4.4.
    • If you live in Asia or Australia, you will need to use the following numbers instead of those just listed: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Even those in other parts of the world might find this pair to work better, so if you complete the process and find no change, repeat it with this set.
  • Close the System Preferences and restart your viewer.

What this does:

• This process adds GoogleDNS and/or OpenDNS to the DNS servers your Mac attempts to use. There is no need to delete the numbers already there; if the system cannot work with them, then it will go down the list until it finds one it can.
  • The issue is related to Linden Lab JIRA VWR-26759. Any additional information we know about it is on that JIRA.
  • If you would like to read about either of these DNSes before adding them to your system, you can visit their pages here for Google or or here for OpenDNS. You may have another set you would prefer to try besides these two, but as you can see on the Linden Lab JIRA, the changes in DNS are the only known fixes for this set of problems.

GLaDOS9000 wrote:

I had just updated my second life viewer to the latest one and for some reason i am getting lag whenever i look at rigged mesh on avatars. I don't know what it is or how to solve this. I am currently running on a mac and it seems no one else is having this trouble from what my friend has told me. I looked at the lag meter and the client says either images loading or too many complex objects in scene.

There's a known problem with older Mac ATI video drivers and the new release. Updating to Mavericks will definately fix this; if you can't/don't want to, you could try:

A) Turning off hardware skinning

OR

B) Turning off atmospheric shaders

OR

C) Turning ON "Advanced Lighting Model."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.