Sign in to follow this  
xeoneex

New to SL no idea what it is...

I mean I kinda get it's like a chat thing?  I haven't really done the chat thing in some 15+ years.  I don't frequent forums that much either.  I pretty much keep to myself for the most part but I came across this on youtube via vinesauce.  It looked....weird.  I downloaded it in an attempt to find this place, or places shown.  I am by nature a weird person.  I like weird things.  I wanted to make a weird avatar and project myself in a weird way.  Getting on Second Life, embarrassingly enough, I find I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.  I play video games hardcore.  I'm a hardcore gamer.  It's what I do.  Second Life perplexs me somethign aweful...  I will admit the prospect of meeting someone who is like myself has me a bit excited as I haven't done anything like this in years.  So any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Its a virtual world, not more and not less. Its not a game, like the ones you use to play, there are no archievements, no quests and in general no environment that is premade. Everyone uses SL in the way they want. You can do what you like and be who you want to be.

Some people like to socialize, some like to be creative, some like to find entertainment of any sort...its what you want to make out of it. Its like an interactive social sandbox with its own ecnonomy.

xeoneex wrote:

I mean I kinda get it's like a chat thing?  I haven't really done the chat thing in some 15+ years.  I don't frequent forums that much either.  I pretty much keep to myself for the most part but I came across this on youtube via vinesauce.  It looked....weird.  I downloaded it in an attempt to find this place, or places shown.  I am by nature a weird person.  I like weird things.  I wanted to make a weird avatar and project myself in a weird way.  Getting on Second Life, embarrassingly enough, I find I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.  I play video games hardcore.  I'm a hardcore gamer.  It's what I do.  Second Life perplexs me somethign aweful...  I will admit the prospect of meeting someone who is like myself has me a bit excited as I haven't done anything like this in years.  So any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Right now you're headed for trouble. Just trying to be "weird" in Second Life is futile. "Normal" in Second Life is "weird" in just about any other setting. I was shopping once for clothes and I was chatted up by a Sonic the Hedgehog avatar with a diaper-filling fetish.If you're already perplexed you're going to end up sitting in a corner, rocking back and forth and sucking your thumb.

Instead of trying to be "weird", think, "What HAVEN'T I done in fear of being thought weird - even weirder than I say I want to be seen as?" Then go ahead and do it.

First and foremost, I'm not used to this virtual world stuff.  I can't even properly manage the camera controls.  I would love to find people like myself to chat with to meet people.  I dont know how realy to explain this :/

To Theresa:

Ok, I dont mean weird to be trouble, if thats what you are refering to.  But the video I saw had weird avatar things though alot of what they were "saying" was just dumb.  I'm far from normal.  I do weird things, I say weird quirky things, thats what I mean.

Welcome to Second Life! As others have said, it is a virtual world. It is your second life and can be modeled after your first life, or be anything else you want it to be. it isn't a game, though some people call it that, but a way to meet people from all across the planet and socialize by chatting. There are numerous music venues you can visit to listen to music and dance, there are art galleries and museums, there is shopping, amusement parks; there are so many different kinds of sims, all waiting for you to explore. In fact, that is the best thing to do to learn what SL is all about, get out and explore! You may eventually even want to get a virtual home that you can use to hang out in with friends, change, etc. Don't be afraid to explore the viewer, but at the same time, be careful you don't change something that messes things up. As a gamer, perhaps it will be a little intuitive for you. You may even want to consider downloading a third party viewer such as Firestorm or Singularity. IMHO, Singularity is one of the easiest viewers to use. Above all, have fun and enjoy your second life!

I still have no idea where to go to meet people :/  I'm a bit shy when it comes to this type of thing which is partly why I stopped doing chat rooms and such.  all I see is adult oriented stuff which I'm sure alot of ppl are into apparently.  I have no idea where to even go to meet women not in this adult oriented stuff :/ or correct me if I'm wrong?

xeoneex wrote:

What exactly do you mean by viewer?

The program you use to connect to, view, and interact with the Second Life virtual world grid. There's an official viewer, provided for free by the same company who created the grid, Linden Labs, and many third-party viewers made by fellow users from the code base of the official one and usually focused on different aspects, such as viewer performance, interface, photography, combat, etc.

Ah ok.  Does that include better camera controls I'm hoping as the one for this program are very hard to get used to :/ 

So far chatting with anyone has proven...useless as no one seems to want tl talk?

xeoneex wrote:

What exactly do you mean by viewer?

Welcome to Second Life, Xeoneex.  A viewer is the program that you use to access the virtual world knows as Second Life.  I wouldn't worry about using any other viewer but the official one provided to you here when you sign up... for now.

It seems to me that you really need help understanding the very basics... how to function (walk, chat, use the interface... etc.), in which case you may wish to head over to Helping Haven (link) or New Citizens Inc. (link) and also check out some of the following blog posts:

http://strawberrysingh.com/2011/08/04/second-life-newbie-resource/

http://www.harlowheslop.com/newbie-resource-guide

http://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/sl-newbies/

Here's a video that might help you figure out how to move around...

Please come back here and let us know if you have any more questions or need any further assistance.  The learning curve can be a bit steep but, if you persevere, eventually you'll get the hang of things.  Good luck.

...Dres

Does that include better camera controls I'm hoping as the one for this program are very hard to get used to :/

Not really, no. Some have a few additional controls, but probably not as much as I suspect you'd want; all the viewers, despite whatever bells & whistles they might add, ultimately have to conform to what SL itself is capable of, or they'd feature things the grid just isn't prepared for, and therefore wouldn't work. Not to mention, any significant improvement from any of those third-party viewers still have to build upon the official code base... and most third-party developers just don't have the coding staff & resources for it.

So far chatting with anyone has proven...useless as no one seems to want tl talk?

That's a common first perception for newcomers; as you'll see in other discussions in this forum (and eventually experience firsthand), part of the population that you may see 'there' are actually either AFK, or engaged in private conversations, or busy building or editing something or sorting their inventories or whatever. That doesn' mean no one will talk to you... not by a long chance; SL still is pretty much a 'chat world', it's one of the main activities... it just has its rhythms and patterns and in-world customs, which you will get used to, just as we all did... meanwhile, just don't get discouraged, keep trying, explore different places and seek what you enjoy the most :smileywink:

xeoneex wrote:

Ah ok.  Does that include better camera controls I'm hoping as the one for this program are very hard to get used to
:/

The camera controls are pretty much the same for all viewers.  Here's another video that might prove helpful as well...

...Dres

Next dumb question, where are some decent rooms, or lands or whatever they are called :/ i dont know yet -_-, where I might start conversing with people of my type?  or how do I find people who are like me if that makes more sense?

xeoneex wrote:

Next dumb question, where are some decent rooms, or lands or whatever they are called
i dont know yet
-_-
, where I might start conversing with people of my type?  or how do I find people who are like me if that makes more sense?

I'm sure others will be along to offer you some specific suggestions, but until they do, take a look at this rather informative blog post...

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2012/01/kif-what-do-we-do-in-second-life-2012.html

...Dres

Well I think I'm out of my element here...  I'm a hardcore gamer.  I thought maybe I could find like minded people here but I'm learning more an dmore this isn't anything like I thought it was.  Well part of it is anyway.  So far 90% of what I've run into is adult oriented stuff and I just want to sit down and chat with people... all I see is people running around half naked or just doing nothing, music playing thats really REALLY loud, had to mute music.  Could be nice attempt to find online dating without the **bleep**ty dating website garbage I've used in the past.  Oh well guess I'll just stick to what I know best.

Well I give up this is too confusing, most places I seem to go has no one in it, other ones that DO, no one talks -_- this isn't for me.  Sorry to have wasted your guys' time.

xeoneex wrote:

Well I give up this is too confusing, most places I seem to go has no one in it, other ones that DO, no one talks
-_-
this isn't for me.  Sorry to have wasted your guys' time.

No problem, we are here to be helpful, if at all possible.  If SL is not for you, it's not for you... you're not the first person that didn't get it and you won't be the last by any means.  Good luck in whatever endeavor you choose next.

...Dres

Well it would be nice to find a spot to talk to people and maybe find a dating partner.  Seeing as my area blows for dating and online dating I figured to give this a try but as I stated this is proving way more complicated than I initially thought.  I'm not here for adult oriented stuff and EVERYTHING I've seen so far is adult oriented :/.  I really would love to try finding women on something like this though as I think its much funner than dating websites by far.  i might try this another time but for right now I'm too confused to try it any more today.

xeoneex wrote:

Well it would be nice to find a spot to talk to people and maybe find a dating partner.  Seeing as my area blows for dating and online dating I figured to give this a try but as I stated this is proving way more complicated than I initially thought.  I'm not here for adult oriented stuff and EVERYTHING I've seen so far is adult oriented
.  I really would love to try finding women on something like this though as I think its much funner than dating websites by far.  i might try this another time but for right now I'm too confused to try it any more today.

Though people have certainly met here and started dating in real life, I would imagine that it's a rather rare occurrence.  Most people are here to escape their real life rather than enhance it in such a way.  So, yeah, it is possible, but unless you just enjoy being here for the sake of being here, it's far too much trouble to go through on the off chance that it might happen to you.

There are definitely places where adult activity is not the main agenda.  There are also places where people actually do chat with each other.  If you stick around long enough, I'm sure you'd find a place you would enjoy, eventually... but as you've discovered, Second Life is a big place and finding that place can sometimes be daunting, especially if you're still just trying to figure out how to get around.

Do come back if you feel like giving it another shot, once you're recovered from the confusion of your first attempt, of course.

...Dres

Sorry you are having such  a hard time finding people to talk to and finding places to go. Not every place is adult in nature, and I too would rather not go to places like that, so I understand. You just have to be persistent in looking. The Destination Guide can be helpful in finding places to go. It is true the world can be lonely in some places as there seems to be no one about. One thing you can do is look for newbie friendly places to visit. You can use the key word in search and I think there is actually a tab in the Destination Guide for newbies. These places you will find new people like you as well as more experienced people willing to help and advise you. As pointed out, there is a learning curve you have to get through. We all did. Eventually moving about will become second nature and you will find the places you feel most comfortable and fit in. I said previously that SL isn't a game, but Role Play is pretty popular. Perhaps you will find that you fit in at one of those places. They range from ancient lands to western (like Tombstone) to space age RP and anything you can imagine. I even came across a RP place based on the movie Avatar. I hope you won't completely give up on SL and eventually come to love it as so many of us do and find your niche. Either way, I wish you well. 

xeoneex wrote: [...] 
Well I give up this is too confusing, most places I seem to go has no one in it, other ones that DO, no one talks
-_-
this isn't for me.

Another common initial reaction, and I think most people agree that SL's learning curve ain't the gentlest ever. Still, after only one day that you've been here, it's damn near impossible to get a fair sense of what SL is... not even the overall idea, much less the specifics and power-user knowledge; there are many, many residents who have been here for years and still they're far from knowing everything that can be done in SL and how to do it. If you deem yourself a very impatient person and are perfectly OK being so, then yes, SL isn't for you... not so much because it actually isn't, but because you won't invest the time to find out that it is, and how. But if you're not that impatient, then just don't give up. Go step by step... ask questions -specific questions, not 'how do I do everything that can be done?'- you will certainly not be below average if it takes you days, or even a couple weeks, to start finding things that interest you in SL and how they're done... because that's about as fast as most everyone else took. SL is far too big and complex a world (and it has to be, otherwise it just wouldn't be flexible enough) to 'master' it in a couple days.

xeoneex wrote:

First and foremost, I'm not used to this virtual world stuff.  
I can't even properly manage the camera controls.
 I would love to find people like myself to chat with to meet people.  I dont know how realy to explain this

I had zero expectations as a new resident seven years ago.  Camera controls?  That was the last thing on my mind.  In fact, it took me weeks before I realized that I could cam to a spot rather than walk there to see it.  Weeks!  I laugh at the memory.  There are many, many more non-adult places in SL than there are adult places (i.e., those places where the sim is rated A).  In fact, there is a whole continent for A-rated places.  You can avoid that easily enough.

In terms of meeting women, well, there *are* female avatars here that are operated by RL men so just keep that in mind.  Just as there are female game 'toons' operated by men.

My advice is to spend some time exploring.  The Destination Guide has been suggested.  It has plenty of hot spots you might try to get a feel of SL.  Some you may not care for but some you may like.  Just keep an open mind.

Ren Toxx wrote:

xeoneex wrote: [...] 
-_-
this isn't for me.

Another common initial reaction, and I think most people agree that SL's learning curve ain't the gentlest ever. Still, after only 
one
day that you've been here, it's damn near impossible to get a fair sense of what SL is... not even the overall idea, much less the specifics and power-user knowledge; there are many, many residents who have been here for 
years
and still they're far from knowing everything that can be done in SL and how to do it. If you deem yourself a very impatient person and are perfectly OK being so, then yes, SL isn't for you... not so much because it actually isn't, but because you won't invest the time to find out that it is, and how. But if you're not that impatient, then just don't give up. Go step by step... ask questions -specific questions, not 
'how do I do everything that can be done?'
- you will certainly 
not
be below average if it takes you days, or even a couple weeks, to start finding things that interest you in SL and how they're done... because that's about as fast as most everyone else took. SL is far too big and complex a world (and it has to be, otherwise it just wouldn't be flexible enough) to 'master' it in a couple days.

Well stated, Ren.  When I first joined SL I was fortunate to meet someone who gave some excellent advice to me - to give myself eight weeks to really start to feel comfortable in SL.  That included getting used to the viewer, learning to move in SL, personalizing my avatar, finding the type places and things to do that I enjoy, etc.  I kept that in mind during some of my more frustrating learning curve days in SL, reminding myself I had only been in SL 5 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.  Interestingly, it *was* at about the 8-week mark that I realized I was doing things in SL (ie. walking/flying, etc.) naturally.

The OP describes him/herself as a "hardcore gamer" and has been so for many years.  I have played two MMOs over the past 15 years as a very "lightweight gamer" but I have met hardcore gamers during that time.  Some in this category are so familiar with the general mechanics of MMOs/MMORPGs that the challenge for them is to join a new game and get to the highest level in the shortest amount of time.  I have known a few that have reached this level within 1-2 days.  This is the impression I get from the OP - he is thinking of SL as an MMO and even though there are not "levels" he is still seeking how to "master" the "game."  Having attempted to introduce some of my MMO friends to SL, and actually succeeding in one joining only to leave after two days, I don't get the impression the OP will ever "get" SL.

edit: punctuation

When I send students out to chat the men report far more challenges getting a conversation going than do the women.  My guess is that newbie men frequently show up looking for sex and little else and so end up being ignored. 

As for getting started--I agree with advice about focusing on basic movement and such first--you can do a lot without moving your camera a lot.

There are several wonderful newbie places--you can find some in the destinations tab and others by searching.  The busiest place seems to be NCI Kuula which is usually crowded--start with some friendly chit-chat in the public box.

Other places are less busy, but that will allow you to get basically personalized tutorials on some basic topics.  White Tiger, Helping haven, and hobo helpers are the ones that I am personally familiar with--there are more and someone will surely add some names to this list. 

Another option is to use the search function to find a music club that specializes in the type of music you like and then teleport around till you find one where there are some folks hanging out.  Again, monitor the public chat and contribute where you can.