Camera tricks, or am I missing something?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quick couple questions, and info and help is greatly appreciated.

How can/do I make my avi look like the ones modeling on clothing advertisements and displays? For technical info, I'm wearing the [BIG] Screamo Shape with a few tweaks of my own (usually the hands and feet are way off on shapes), and a Fruk Lennon Blonde Skin. It's all fine. I love it. But I'm wondering, how do I get my avi to be all smooth and such? I know there is a "smoother corners" slider bar in the graphics preferences menu. I do have it turned down so that SL can run smoother. But is that it? If I remember correctly, the slider really didn't change anything... But increased the lag. Or, is it something totally different? Like, is it just camera tricks and or filters? If it's the first one, then I'm not going to worry about it. SL lags enough as it is. But if there's something else I can do to get that smooth, realistic look... Please fill me in.

P.S. Just real quick, can someone explain to me the concept of deleting scripts? I seem to be running like 50 or something? But nothing's moving or animated. So... I don't know lol. But I read that people just delete the scripts after editing the object. And I'm just not sure how that works.

Thank you for reading! All input is appreciated!
Ciao!

A lot of people turn graphics way up when taking photos, then drop it back down for moving around. Get all the sliders up to max. Then go to the hardware settings on graphics prefs, and set the anti-aliasing high too. On the snapshot menu, use 'save to my computer' and save as lossless PNG. In the same menu, you can set the image size... the higher the better (I don't think going above your native screen resolution helps much, although it does give you more pixels to work with when editing).

Lighting can also make a lot of difference. A soft, diffuse Windlight setting can reduce a lot of the harshness, especially on avatar facial features. Careful use of a facelight can help too.

That said, a lot of photography is re-touched. Sometimes it's as little as cropping, maybe adjusting contrast to punch the image up a bit. A lot of people will use blur & smear to soften the harsher edges of an avatar.

Awesome, thank you for that! Ya, I was kind of thinking that people just raise everything to Max for photos, then return the settings back to low. It only makes sense. And I know ZERO about face lights and windlight. I know I HAVE a face light... But no idea what it does when I wear it lol. And windlight... I understand WHAT it is. But I know nothing about customizing it and such. If you don't mind, explain what exactly face light does. And, where do I find the setting for windlight?

World ---> Environment Editor ---> Sky Presets ---> Edit

In the Firestorm viewer, among others, there's a shortcut in the quickprefs menu and hundreds of presets. In the Official viewer, only a handful.

The short answer regarding facelights: if you can't tell the difference when you wear one, don't wear one. For the long answer, read the link Studio09 posted.

Studio09 wrote:

Here is a link to another thread on this form about facelights:

When I photograph myself (often to insert me into someone else's photo) I rez a cube and enable it as a light, then position it to match the lighting in the scene I'm vandalizing. Face lights (which I do not wear) don't offer that flexibility, unless you get one with a HUD, which is entirely too fiddly for me.

The beauty of using the sky and water editors is that you can, to a degree, steer the view where you want it. I get frustrated by the endless list of windlight settings in Firestorm. It's like trying to pick paint colors by braille. What exactly is "Funky Funky", and how is it different than "Funky Funky Funky"?

In the editor, I can drag sliders around and work out the "oooh" and the "ick" myself. And it's fun to move the sun/moon around the sky like Luxo lamps.

I tried out the box light idea, and it looks good. I can raise and lower the intensity, change the color filter, etc. So, I can see lots of lighting options coming from that. But I still haven't messed with the environment editor. The most I've done with that is change the sun position when I'm in a place that's at night. I just hate when places are dark and don't have a "moon" or ambient windlight set. So I just change it to day time. So I can see. Other than that, I haven't touched anything. I opened the menu and was amazed at the millions of options and buttons. So I just closed it.

Side note:

I went to a photography place earlier this morning, and was interested in getting photos done. Just to see if they're good and can do something really kool. The first questioned I asked was, "do you turn your graphics all the way up and take the photos"? She said, "no, my computer won't allow me to". So... I'm not sure about the quality I'm getting. She edits the photos, I'm assuming in Photoshop, then sends them to the client. She also asks for half the money up front, before you get the pics. Kool thing is, the studio was a giant green screen room. So I'm sure she can add some really nice photos and backgrounds. The examples and photos she had on display were... Nice. But not the high high quality I wanted. The highest quality I saw were actually "morphs", not straight photos. And I just don't like the look of morphs. So, I'm going to see how my photos came out. If I'm not happy, then I'll need to find a better place. Any suggestions on photo studios? There has to be people out there with great computers, who can keep their graphics on high and take photos for people. As I said, I'm trying it myself. I guess all I need is a photo booth. But I need a big one. All the photo booths I've seen and used have been small. So when you zoom out, even a little, you can see everything outside of the background. Which sucks. So that's why the green screen room really intrigued me. I would do that, but I don't have the proper programs for green screens. Unless there's a free program I could get?

hazeonelove wrote:

Quick couple questions, and info and help is greatly appreciated.

How can/do I make my avi look like the ones modeling on clothing advertisements and displays?

Photoshop, lots and lots of photoshop.  I refuse to photoshop my pictures any more than adding text. That way you know what you are getting.

You can try Strawberry Singh if you will look for a photographer. She photoshops yes, but her raw images is very good quality and she uses sl light and backgrounds - shoots on location - a lot. And no morphs! http://strawberrysingh.com/photography/

The same Ms. Singh has also posted a lot of useful tutorials for those who will take their own images. I learned a lot from her! http://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/ 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.