Can you commit a crime in the SL world?

SemiAutomatic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Yes.  If you want to get an idea of what sorts of "crimes" happen in Secoind Life, come to my Avatar Safety class at Caledon Oxbridge University on Saturday, 1200 noon SL time.  It's free to attend.

I put "crimes" in quotes because while some actions really ARE crimes (theft, for example, of another person's creations or their money,) there are lots more things that are not crimes in Real Life terms but ARE violations of the Terms of Service.

HOWEVER:  And pay real close attention to this...if you violate the Terms of Service, you will get banned from SL.  Temporarily for minor violations, permanently for larger ones.  If you commit serious Real Life crimes using the Second Life platform, you could also be prosecuted in Real Life.

The biggest crime that I can remember was the Ginko Financial scandal of 2007, when an avatar set up a pyramid scheme that masqueraded as an investment company and made off with about a quarter of a million real life $$$.  No, you can't do a repeat of that, banks and investment companies are now not allowed in SL.

So I really, really, REALLY hope that you are asking this because you want to know what is out there and how you can protect yourself...not because you are looking to join the SL Underworld.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.