A sailable sim??

RazorEyed1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all.

Suppose one gained control of a sim and wanted it to be 'sailable/flyable'...can someone explain exacly how to do that? I've checked pricing for 'renting' a sim but, all of those are 'land-locked' so to speak. Would I need to contact LL's directly or is there a particular group that runs these 'sailable/flyable' seas that I see??

Thanks for any input,

RazorEyed1

It is easy enough to enable flying just by clicking an option on one of the tabs on Land once you own it.  There are mainland areas that have seas around them (look at Blake Sea on your map, for example).  You do not need an entire sim to sail or fly over your land. 

Explore a bit and you will see.

I'm not talking about flying my avi....I'm talking about being able to fly a plane/helo and sail a boat from my dock etc. For that I could rent a parcel but, I'm looking for a sim that is mine to terraform and rent out parcels on....and sailabel/flyable. I know there are sims on the Blake Sea etc....which is what I'm looking for. Acquiring a sim is simple enough really, it's that sailable/flyable part I'm looking for help with.

Not exactly sure if you're wording it where I can't understand exactly what you're looking for, but sounds like you're looking for a full region/estate of your own? You could easily rent those as well. I had an estate for the longest time with Animus Lusus. (would still have if rl health hadn't gotten in the way) 

People parasailed off my floating islands, I flew my GODship, and there were usable sailboats in the waters below. You don't have to have premium and own LL lands for stuff like that. Just find an estate(3750 prims (region size)) or a full on region that's for rent from a reputable company. They're both hefty price tags, Plan on spending around 140usD a month for an estate. I think the one I had from Animus Lusus was around 7k L$ a week? I dropped almost 30k a month on just the estate. So it was somewhere around there. And my sim was out in the middle of nowhere, no other sims in sight, I think the closest one was 2-3 plots away, (region size plots)

Nope, not affiliated with that rental comp. in any way, just a very, very long time customer. There's quite a few very good companies around, just compare prices and see how long they've owned that particular sim. I've seen lots of hiked prices out there and it gets rediculious. Heard lots of horror stories too about lands getting shut down because the sub-leasor just suddenly ups and disappears with all those hard earned Lindens. 

Of course you're going to have to teraform to get the sim to look the way you want it to, The land is usually terraformed for sale and asthetics, then once it's 'yours' you're free to do with it what you like.

RazorEyed1 wrote:

I'm not talking about flying my avi....I'm talking about being able to fly a plane/helo and sail a boat from my dock etc. For that I could rent a parcel but, I'm looking for a sim that is mine to terraform and rent out parcels on....and sailabel/flyable. I know there are sims on the Blake Sea etc....which is what I'm looking for. Acquiring a sim is simple enough really, it's that sailable/flyable part I'm looking for help with.

There is no group that runs the SIMs around Blake Sea or other waterways in SL.

If you can find a whole SIM for sale around Blake Sea it would be from a private owner or if LL should put an abandonned SIM up for sale or auction. 

On Mainland SIMs there is a limit to how much terra forming you can do:

Terraforming limits:

• Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).
  • Some mainland cannot be terraformed, including: Bay City regions, Boardman, Brown, De Haro, Kama City regions, Nautilus City regions, Nova Albion regions, and Shermerville regions.
  • Linden Homes do not allow terraforming.
  • A few, very old mainland Regions like Da Boom have a terraform range of 40 meters (+/-).

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

I hope this helps you some.

You may want to ask the Mods to move this thread to the "Regions Wanted" sub forum.

RazorEyed1 wrote:

Hi all.

Suppose one gained control of a sim and wanted it to be 'sailable/flyable'...can someone explain exacly how to do that? I've checked pricing for 'renting' a sim but, all of those are 'land-locked' so to speak. Would I need to contact LL's directly or is there a particular group that runs these 'sailable/flyable' seas that I see??

Thanks for any input,

RazorEyed1

In order to fly or sail past the borders of your region there needs to be an adjacent region or regions you can sail INTO. Most private "islands" have no regions adjacent to them - the "water" surrounding them is a graphical illusion. Looking at the world map is the best way I know of finding regions for sailing/flying around. Most are Mainland areas and places on the water can get expensive. To find land for sale, turn on the "Land Sales" check box on the map and available lots will show up in yellow

However, if you want an entire region you might look at the Yumix sims - they're a cluster of connected private sims with a flying/water theme and it looks like they have a few available for rent. I believe they're owned by a Japanese group but I've seen sims set up by people of various nationalities in the cluster. Search for "Yumix" - they're hard to miss.

Thank you Theresa Tennyson. I was indeed aware of the need for adjacent water to sail into, though it seems I wasn't quite as clear as I had thiought...lol However I wasn't aware of Yumix. I'll check them out and see what they have to offer. Thanks again to all for your time.

RazorEyed1

Finding a sim *or even parcel* for rent that is on sailable waters and flyable skys is not as tricky as one might think :) Just takes some leg work , urm finger work?

For example we found a small spot for our boat to berth that is on Linden ocean for a very reasonable price. Just enough to dock and sail adjacent waters to our hearts content , and fly the skys with our techno toys. d^_^
 We just wanted a small spot but did come across Many (More than we even imagined possible) Larger parcels that were "abandoned" and/or "set for sale". And all needed was to contact the owners *or Linden Labs* to ask for release rights/or to purchase.

When searching in world *or out* for a parcel make sure the ad and the land state "Protected sailable *or flyable etc* channel / waters / Linden Sea " to be sure it is protected against becoming land locked/water locked /unuseable. in the future.

If you need any help just drop me a message hun with dimensions , cost, and I will help you out hun.

XxX

Lex

It's been my experience that waterfront is cheaper in General.  (Which is why I also rent in Adult from a land baron).  For example, I have land in Poliahu facing a big LL protected lake (in Dedi) and I will launch a little boat from time to time.  I wish to repeat the advice that you want to be sure your land borders Linden owned protected land so you don't get cut off by a new neighbor who puts up banlines over their water.  (You can see examples of what I mean by protected water and banlines if you visit my place and start from the sailing ship.)  

Consider the prim size of your boat that you wish to launch, what's left over after that is what you have for your house, furniture and landscaping.  Buying cheaper inland land on the same sim will still add to your prims if the only piece of waterfront you can get is small.  

The Blake Sea community is very active and worth getting involved with.  

A good estate landlord will often try to have sailable water on their estate, but all not advertised "waterfront" is real waterfront as opposed to sim edge.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.