Jump to content

Welcome CEO Ebbe Altberg


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


Maelstrom Janus wrote:

So why cant he say whatever he has to say on the sl forum ?? I dont work for lindens I dont let it stop me posting here.... and the man cant begin to - at the very least - post some of his hopes, ideas and possible plans here ??

 

 

Maybe someone warned him about the whackadoodles?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, if not wackadoodles, there's still a perception of hostility here on these forums.  If you attract someone's attention negatively, get ready to get ripped to shreds cause that's how it is here.  Maybe he knows that.  Maybe he reads and doesn't post.   Maybe that kind of dialoguing isn't his thing.  And again, maybe SL isn't the main focus of LL these days.  Only have to look at lindenlab.com to see that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you couldn't quite get Storm's message earlier, he's appointed for and behalf of the stockholders.  He spoke to them first  (before Twitter) and will always talk to their appointed representatives and discuss issues with them in preference to you. Afterwards he will let you know what's been decided.  If you're not happy then leave or instead of spending Lindens inworld spend dollars in the real world and become a majority or a significant stakeholder instead of thinking you that you are something of imporantce in a virtual world.

In a nutshell leave or buy in to be listened to and not heard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a longtime paying premium customer I don't feel that I should have to depend on Twitter, Facebook, SLU or any other third party site as the primary communications venue for news from the Lab. Important information such as a change in leadership should be happening on official LL sites first and the social media and third party forums secondarily. What's the point in even having an official LL website otherwise?

While I'm happy to hear that the new CEO has already started to engage some of us via social media and third party forums, I hope that he'll also use the official LL properties to speak with us as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, my first interactions with Ebbe Altberg (he really should be Alt Linden) were very positive on Twitter. He took the time to engage many of us, responded knowledgably about the poor newbie experience and other issues, and above all, seemed much more interested in his "customers" than the previous not-so-humble CEO. I am cautiously optimistic but I've had my heart broken before. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Link to post
Share on other sites


Snickers Snook wrote:

FWIW, my first interactions with Ebbe Altberg (he really should be Alt Linden) were very positive on Twitter. He took the time to engage many of us, responded knowledgably about the poor newbie experience and other issues, and above all, seemed much more interested in his "customers" than the previous not-so-humble CEO. I am cautiously optimistic but I've had my heart broken before. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

My experience was the same: he responded to an ongoing Twitter conversation about SL between myself and another blogger, tweeting that he had enjoyed our conversation.

I don't really know how to read that, or what it means. But it's certainly not a negative thing.

As for Mr. Altberg or ebbe.resident or whatever posting here . . . maybe someone just needs to ask him to phone home?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article here... Could Second Life Go The Way of Cloud Party, by Apollo Manga

He bases his article on this thought:

"Two newsworthy events happened on January 24:

  1. Linden Lab announced that Rod Humble was leaving as CEO
  2. Yahoo! announced that it was buying the virtual world Cloud Party and that it was going to shut it down.

Is it a coincidence that both happened on the same day, and that less than two weeks later, a former Yahoo! senior vice president is taking over as CEO of Linden Lab? This writer was surprised at how quickly Linden Lab found a new CEO. Could this have been in the works before Rod Humble's departure was announced?"

Link to post
Share on other sites


Canoro Philipp wrote:

following that train of thought, is it possible that Yahoo is eliminating virtual worlds? or Yahoo wants to take over Second Life and prepare it to be the only virtual world by
eliminating the competition in order to guarantee success
before buying it?

But, but there is no competition.  But, but SL is a monetary success already.  

(the numbers don't lie)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

youre right, SL is very unique, is just so flexible that no other virtual world compares, it can be a monetary success, it has been strong enough to survive for 10 years and counting, and also so unknown by the mainstream.

the lack of knowledge by mainstream make it seem like its not succesful, so if Yahoo would want to go to the virtual world business and want to buy SL and sent one of the executives to prepare to sell it, it would make sure that its a good buy and eliminate other virtual worlds so people would have less choice of virtual worlds to go to.

Rod Humble came and tried to make Linden Lab another EA Games, its the way he was trained to manage a company, (make some NPCs like The Sims, make some other games like a game company would have), Ebbe comes from social connections and variety of different cultures managment, my guess is that we are gonna see Linden Lab be managed like another Yahoo, we are gonna see more SL culture connections tools, and hopefully some form of SL mainstream, that is very needed in SL. maybe in the welcome page of the viewer some SL news about celebrities, news, advertisement of SL companies, etc..

Link to post
Share on other sites


Canoro Philipp wrote:

youre right, SL is very unique, is just so flexible that no other virtual world compares, it can be a monetary success, it has been strong enough to survive for 10 years and counting, and also so unknown by the mainstream.

the lack of knowledge by mainstream make it seem like its not succesful, so if Yahoo would want to go to the virtual world business and want to buy SL and sent one of the executives to prepare to sell it, it would make sure that its a good buy and eliminate other virtual worlds so people would have less choice of virtual worlds to go to.

Rod Humble came and tried to make Linden Lab another EA Games, its the way he was trained to manage a company, (make some NPCs like The Sims, make some other games like a game company would have), Ebbe comes from social connections and variety of different cultures managment, my guess is that we are gonna see Linden Lab be managed like another Yahoo, we are gonna see more SL culture connections tools, and hopefully some form of SL mainstream, that is very needed in SL. maybe in the welcome page of the viewer some SL news about celebrities, news, advertisement of SL companies, etc..

Ummmmm, what Celebrities?

RL?

Drew Carey is the only one I know of who said a few years ago he was in SL and that is because he loves Steampunk.  But I doubt if any one knows who is Ava is.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Treasure Ballinger wrote:

Didn't we have Yoko Ono for awhile and 'Sheldon' from Big Bang Theory (Jim Parsons)?  I'd heard rumors of Lady Gaga too........  

Now that you mention it, I do remember Yoko being in SL for a short time.  There was some sort of tower set up for her for some humanitarian reason, probably connected with John Lennon in some way.  I remember going there after she had left and being happy that I didn't actually get to see what her avatar looked like.  Judging from experience, her avatar would have probably been worse than her real life appearance... which, in itself, would have been quite enough for me to endure, without having to torture myself any further with a sub-par (meaning all the more hideous) representation.

...Dres

Link to post
Share on other sites


LaskyaClaren wrote:

I was never much for Duran Duran really, but that was pretty cool, even if only as a historical relic. About 2008 or so maybe?

Back in the early eighties, when I was still a blossoming teenager, I only ever listened to classical music (which I still love to this day), until a friend of my mother gave me Duran Duran's Rio album for my birthday.  It wasn't until I got to the very last song, The Chauffeur, that I realized that "modern" music really had something to offer me.  At which point, I started exploring what that offering could be and I will forever be grateful to Duran Duran for opening that avenue of exploration up to me.

I still think it's one of the greatest songs they've ever recorded...

...Dres

Link to post
Share on other sites


Dresden Ceriano wrote:


LaskyaClaren wrote:

I was never much for Duran Duran really, but that was pretty cool, even if only as a historical relic. About 2008 or so maybe?

Back in the early eighties, when I was still a blossoming teenager, I only ever listened to classical music (which I still love to this day), until a friend of my mother gave me Duran Duran's
Rio
album for my birthday.  It wasn't until I got to the very last song,
The Chauffeur
, that I realized that "modern" music really had something to offer me.  At which point, I started exploring what that offering could be and I will forever be grateful to Duran Duran for opening that avenue of exploration up to me.

I still think it's one of the greatest songs they've ever recorded...

...Dres

I think that anyone who really and truly loves and needs music -- and they are rarer, perhaps, than we think -- has had an epiphany like that.

Mostly I didn't pay a great deal of attention to music until the 90s. Probably the very first band that I ever listened to, I mean really listened to, was Joy Division, which I came to late and backwards, via New Order.

The closest thing to your experience I had was sort of in reverse. I didn't much listen to classical music until I was given a recording of Borodin, a sort of "greatest hits," and fell in love with The Polovtsian Dances. I don't listen to a lot of Borodin these days, but that was my gateway drug for classical music.

Link to post
Share on other sites

duran duran_001.jpg

ddu universe.JPG

 

I should have posted clearer and said Drew is the only one I am aware of who has stated an active presence in SL and even then that was a couple of years ago.

The Duran Duran SIMs (they own four) are still up and running but I haven't heard a squeak out of them in a few years.  When they joined SL they brought a lot of their fans in and I am still friends with a few of them.

So while a few names can be drummed up and while their presence may draw some interest to SL, It's not like there is a huge known presence.

 

eta:a hononym

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...