Welcome CEO Ebbe Altberg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

jujmental wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Good grief.  He hasn't even started officially.  The announcement was made and he tweeted 'hello' and got alot of responses.  So, you would rather he say nothing until after he gets an account.  Right. Noted.

I can understand him being polite on the
that is Twitter.

I can understand him not wanting to get his entry lost amongst the five index pages of BollySpam.

I can understand him not wanting to look like he's checking on Torley's minimal attempts to justify his salary in the Feeds.

What I can't understand is him making an account on the oh-so-
passé
SLU forum and posting there.

Maybe Rod, as a leaving gift, gave him some advice on how to alienate the mainstream users.

© The Judge

Is he posting on SLU already?  Haha.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Funny Im pointing out the same thing about yours ......And my complaint is that he's not posting here not that he is ....

you are pointing out something that exists only in your imagination. i have no complaints at all that he is not posting here. rather, to repeat, i think that his use of twitter is entirely approriate for now, and that your copmlaint is and was unreasonable.

They actually invited him to come post on SLU.  Did we do that?  If I were him, reading these threads.......I wouldn't want to come here either.  We do not seem very welcoming here, outside of the OP on this thread, and a few others.  To be honest, we sound pissed off before he even gets his key to his office.  

I think my copmlaimt ...err complaint was entirely reasonable as no doubt do those others who do not access twitter but wish to see what big brother has to say.... However I may be judging harsly based on rod humbles record number of posts on this forum....

Im sure that Ebbe will rush over here to say hello as soon as he gets chance and shield 'useful' questions about tiers, the current state of sl technically and everything else we want to put to him...

In fact I'll take your word as a guarantee that as soon as he gets the proper access he'll come post haste and say hi....

Treasure Ballinger wrote:

They actually invited him to come post on SLU.  Did we do that?  If I were him, reading these threads.......I wouldn't want to come here either.  We do not seem very welcoming here, outside of the OP on this thread, and a few others.  To be honest, we sound pissed off before he even gets his key to his office.  

Actually, I pointed out to him the fact there was an OFFICIAL SL FORUM and I saw at least one other tweet pointing him in this direction.

Yesterday was my first time ever using twitter and twitter says he retweeted my post but I have no idea what that means. 

I think it means he shared your tweet, but why, rather than just come on over, lol.  I don't tweet so the procedures of Twitter are over my head.

I believe he did say that he didn't start officially till Monday so he may not have his Linden Account set up yet. 

I do wonder if Linden's are exempted from agreeing to the TOS when they log in.  :D

If I were he I would not post here or to SLU.

I can assure you of one thing if he does decide to post and that is I will troll him to no end: golf, vampires, pixel sex, Microsoft, Yahoo, Harvard, Lee (no not LeeHere,) inter alia.   There is no end to the words I will hurl his way.   Welcome Ebbs. 

PS And the fun part is, from reading this thread, I know I won't be alone. 

PPS He came to LL to do a job, not waste his time posting to the forum just to appease  your sorry asses. 

i really hope he improve the communication of Linden Lab with its users, having no announcement of Rod leaving was a basic fail of communication, it was a very important event for Linden Lab and its users.

i have personal wishes like many of us, like bringing back last names, improve the marketplace, perfectionate search, i hope he can comply with the most reasonable wishes the users have, and more importantly, to get second life at pair with modern virtual worlds, and even more important, to surpass them with innovative ideas that none has even thought yet.

i wish all the best for Ebbe Altberg, and the best to Second Life under his managment.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

i really hope he improve the communication of Linden Lab with its users, having no announcement of Rod leaving was a basic fail of communication, it was a very important event for Linden Lab and its users.

i have personal wishes like many of us, like bringing back last names, improve the marketplace, perfectionate search, i hope he can comply with the most reasonable wishes the users have, and more importantly, to get second life at pair with modern virtual worlds, and even more important, to surpass them with innovative ideas that none has even thought yet.

i wish all the best for Ebbe Altberg, and the best to Second Life under his managment.

Hi Canoro,

I have been following the thread, and appreciate everyone having something to say.  Yes, if the name servers could be reconfigured to pull in a last name server, rather than the default "Resident", it might return something lost--a sense of community, and quirky uniqueness. When I began in SL, the last names were not only revealing and memorable, but they created many opportunities for chat. To this day, I remember the first Avindar I ever met!

My advice to Ebbe Altberg on Twitter was "keep; the lights on and the doors open" because it's all good (as long as the worlds are humming away on the server farms. Ten years here has shown that avatars are world creators and path finders. As builders, we are problem solvers and critical thinkers, breaking down barriers of difficulty by learning, doing, collaborating. I'm not much of a builder, and have not kept pace since mesh and new techniques, but I enjoy spending time and a little bit of coin here now and then, and blending the old with the new when I do build a space, or put together a new look.

As for the lack of communication when RH left, I can hardly blame the Lab. It almost seemed as if he left without communicating directly himself. Kind of like breaking up via Twitter, except it was Facebook, and we heard about it second hand (so Second Life.)

However, we have a new CEO, and he will need awhile to get the feel of this machine so he can drive it. Second Life is the big wheel driving the cuter, more compelling little wheels, and I would think he has a team of game developers eager to make him into a new RH, but he has a wider background, not simply game development but a sense of media and market reach--so he may re-cast Second Life into a more mainstream tool, if he gives it much focus at all.

After all, LL has done a good job of managing our vast, shared resources along with issues of privacy and securiity, virtual economy, and a beautiful product to behold although it uses alot of computer resources. Ideally, this platform would run on a laptop without it heating up, and why not have at least an app that shows our avatars on a windows phone, like with X-box. 

Thanks again for your thoughts! I couldn't help sharing a few more of my own.

:)

I think it means he shared your tweet, but why, rather than just come on over, lol.  I don't tweet so the procedures of Twitter are over my head.

I only saw him retweet a couple of times, so if Perrie was "retweeted" he ought to be flattered! ;)

As to why a new CEO would choose to have an introductory, "get to know me" session on Twitter, rather than here in a closed house, on a members only forum?

Well, it seems to me that would be to introduce himself in a "public" way, and since the entire history of Second Life has been about alts and the masquerade, why would he parade in here first?

I understand we might have expected a dashboard announcement that we have a new CEO, but at least Strawberry Singh announced it on the my.secondlife.com feed.

The forum is somewhere between roman baths and a shark tank.  Twitter is global and public.

Thanks for your remarks, Treasure. :)

Storm Clarence wrote:

If I were he I would not post here or to SLU.

I can assure you of one thing if he does decide to post and that is I will troll him to no end: golf, vampires, pixel sex, Microsoft, Yahoo, Harvard, Lee (no not LeeHere,) inter alia.   There is no end to the words I will hurl his way.   Welcome Ebbs. 

PS And the fun part is, from reading this thread, I know I won't be alone. 

PPS He came to LL to do a job, not waste his time posting to the forum just to appease  your sorry asses. 

LOL, Storm.

Exactly!

emilia Avindar wrote:

I only saw him retweet a couple of times, so if Perrie was "retweeted" he ought to be flattered!
;)

As to why a new CEO would choose to have an introductory, "get to know me" session on Twitter, rather than here in a closed house, on a members only forum?

Well, it seems to me that would be to introduce himself in a "public" way, and since the entire history of Second Life has been about alts and the masquerade, why would he parade in here first?

I understand we might have expected a dashboard announcement that we have a new CEO, but at least Strawberry Singh announced it on the my.secondlife.com feed.

The forum is somewhere between roman baths and a shark tank.  Twitter is global and public.

Thanks for your remarks, Treasure.

Why the meet and greet occurred on Twitter is pretty simple to me.  He already had an account and people sought him out there.

As to why people sought him out there is also pretty simple.  People have different cares and concerns regarding Second Life.  How legitimate those cares and concerns are could be debated to no end. 

I do agree with Storm when he said,

"He came to LL to do a job, not waste his time posting to the forum just to appease  your sorry asses."

That is certainly not my expectation.

For me I tweeted because I care about Second Life.  It's a part of my life that I enjoy very much.  If it disapeared I'd miss it.  My life would not end if it did, but I would hate to see it go.  Simple enough to me.

So this I am going to just go ahead and say 'wont work'. asset storage in it's self is high, something like 370petabytes. then bandwidth, employee payroll <other business expenses> so to justify 20 bucks a month. god they'd have to be highly insane, it would be like cutting there right leg off.

I'm in this hosting business and trust me. "we want a cheaper prices" is what certain client of mine rave and **bleep** about.

They do not understand. we are breaking even on our accounts currently, our upstream provider has just actaully raised our per gb cost. which we have to pass to the consumer.

What the lab is doing is making sure all costs are covered and then making some what of a profit, they have too or sl drys up and we all move to opensim.

so tl;dr. it costs money to provide SL to us, so please think before you go 'LOWER OUR TIERS'

Some reason it replied to emilia, this was not directed at you. but another poster.

Welcome Ebbe!!

I think we should at least give him time to make his Linden bear,Which he is gonna send to me as his first act as CEO,before we start acting like he is officially here yet..

It's not started till the puffy wuffy fluffy  is in mah hands first..

Just sayin!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.