Full sub or rent?!?

hazeonelove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everybody. Pretty sure this is the right place to ask. If not, let me know where the proper forum is.

I've been thinking lately about land. More specifically, a home. My main reason is for the convenience of having a non-populated place to set as "home", for those times that SL glitches out and won't let you teleport out of an area. That's happened to me twice already, mostly at freebie malls. So going along with that idea, I've been trying to ask around and see what would be best. Fully subscribing to the $10 a month account and receiving the land, or, just finding a place to rent? I have not built or created anything in SL, at all. But I do know that all the things necessary do cost money. Such as textures, walls, furniture, all the way to fully built and furnished houses you can place (rez) on your land. So, I'm not sure if that's actually cheaper. I've found places to rent anywhere from $200 a week to $3,000 a week. But I haven't found anything worth it to me. I figured I would just rent a place in a "city sim", that's basically a mock town/city, with people living there and whatever. But I haven't found a sim like that yet. I've found some cities, some towns, and some really nice fantasy and scifi cities. But none of which have a living community. Just travelers and random visitors like myself. So, any information and or LM's are greatly appreciated.

Summary:

1. What is the better buy? Renting a place, or doing a full subscription for $10 a month?
2. Where are some populated areas to rent, with other residents in the area?

Thanks for the input!

I would strongly consider getting a premium membership and paying by the year, which costs $72, equivalent to $6 per month.  A L$300 per week stipend comes with it, which equals L$15,600 per year, worth about $62, making your net cost about $10 per year, about $0.20, or L$50 per week.  That's hard to breat.  I, personally, think that the support that comes with premium membership is valuable.  I don't need it often, but when I do, it can be a (second) lifesaver.

Because of the severe limitation on prims in Linden Homes, if you want to furnish it at all nicely, you will need to spend some money on very-low-prim furniture.

It's something you'll need to calculate the math on carefully.

I rented for several years from a Land Lord on Mainland who owned several SIMs and kept them residential only.

My total cost was cheaper than if I had been premium and owned the same sized parcel (2096sqm).  I saved about $2.00 a month.

Thats because he passed his per sqm saving on to me.  The more you own the less you pay per sqm.

But once I decided I wanted a larger plot it became cheaper for me to go premium and buy my own.

Sadly, Linden Homes contributed greatly to a huge loss in rentals for him and he got out of the rental business.

Awesome, thank you for that. And that's what I was thinking after doing the math and thinking about available prims per cost versus prims per home (to Rez or build). And from what I came up with... It would be cheaper to rent a place. But, if I want land and want to build and or expand, then a premium membership would be more beneficiary. From what I know, from friends, most (if not all) of all of their available prims are used up by one simple house, without furniture. So I think it would just be crappy if I go premium and NOT be able to build and furnish a house to my likings, without paying for more available prims.

But... Also, I've noticed that NOT ALL rental areas allow rezzing. Which is a part of why I'm looking for a home anyway. If I'm going to spend $L200-300 a week but can't rez... Then I just rather float around in virtual air space lol.

hazeonelove wrote:

Awesome, thank you for that. And that's what I was thinking after doing the math and thinking about available prims per cost versus prims per home (to Rez or build). And from what I came up with... It would be cheaper to rent a place. But, if I want land and want to build and or expand, then a premium membership would be more beneficiary. From what I know, from friends, most (if not all) of all of their available prims are used up by one simple house, without furniture. So I think it would just be crappy if I go premium and NOT be able to build and furnish a house to my likings, without paying for more available prims.

But... Also, I've noticed that NOT ALL rental areas allow rezzing. Which is a part of why I'm looking for a home anyway. If I'm going to spend $L200-300 a week but can't rez... Then I just rather float around in virtual air space lol.

You are not going to get much for that price.  Bottom line is the cost per sqm. 

It really depends on your taste I certainly can't tell you what works best only you know what works for you.

However, I will send you an link to Sky Manor Resort and see if that works for you.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Parcels-for-Rent-Mainland/Welcome-to-Sky-Manor-Resort-Your-All-Inclusive-Getaway/m-p/2477841#M1770

If you prefer doing everything on your own, security, building, the works then you can do an membership with LL but it will be difficult to find an nice place not blocked by giant buildings and walls.

Or, if you just want to rent without all the hassle and setup, look at the link i sent you.

However, it is populated and since you mentioned you wanted non-populated it might not be for you; there are people renting here plenty and it's not empty, and not quiet; but that's an good thing. :-)

Hope this helps.

That helps very much :)

I'm not really interested in going through the hassle of building and the works. Although it seems fun, I know myself and I wouldn't spend much time their anyway. I'm usually traveling around with my R2-D2 sidekick and exploring the map. I'm sure it's a good time, but I honestly just don't feel like going through that entire process. Not yet anyway. And as far as my comment about a sim being "non-populated"; I need to take that back. That was contradicting what I said also. I DO want a populated area. But that's as long as I can rez there and obviously set "home" to their. My comment was more intended towards the "somewhere to teleport to when SL glitches..." statement. But if it's populated, that's perfect. The idea of an actual community living in a neighborhood (sim suburbia) like an actual city or town is great. Because all I've found are empty sims with places to rent.

hazeonelove wrote:

Thank you for that break down. I'm a numbers guy, so that's exactly what I needed. If possible, could you tell me some if the benefits or "support" you were speaking of, that comes with the premium subscription?

You can politely request a sim restart via chat, and they'll usually do it.  If you are a basic member, you have no way to ask.  A few years ago, I had a self-replicating-object griefer attach on my house, and a Linden came there in world to help with it, though I doubt they would go to such lengths now.  Once I had some obscure setting set wrong, and chat support helped me figure out what was wrong when I was at my wits' end.  Worth $10 a year to me.  I've also submitted several tickets over the years, but I don't remember why.

hazeonelove wrote:

From what I know, from friends, most (if not all) of all of their available prims are used up by one simple house, without furniture.

An advantage of a Linden Home is that the prims for the building don't count against your allowance, as they would if you had a parcel somewhere else the same size, i.e., prim-wise, the hoiuse is free.

Oh sweet. Great info, thank you. I had no idea that Linden Land, or land received from a premium membership, has different privileges than privately owned land that you purchase and or rent. Definitely changes things. So essentially, even with a small plot of Linden Land, my house can be as extravagant as I'd like?

hazeonelove wrote:

Oh sweet. Great info, thank you. I had no idea that Linden Land, or land received from a premium membership, has different privileges than privately owned land that you purchase and or rent. Definitely changes things. So essentially, even with a small plot of Linden Land, my house can be as extravagant as I'd like?

No only the linden homes qualify for that part. The home itself isn't measured in your prim allowance. If you get your own linden land elsewhere, youll still have the same prim allowance, but your house will be part of the allowance.

There are a lot of places that rent parcels which already have furnished homes on them, plus a prim allowance for anything extra. That's what we have right now and it suits us well. I can give you the name of the place if youd like.

ETA: had to get the slurl, lol. We rent one of their slightly bigger places $599 a week, plus 250 prims i think(I had the prims wrong, lol), they have 90+ some odd houses available on the land for your use(you pick from a menu and it rezzes your house, it's quite nice), they have others that are $299 a week, with 100 prims-same houses(and the house isn't part of your prim allowance)

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Balanvi/173/16/29

Adding in their website, so you can view the places without needing to go inworld. http://www.balanvi.com/luxury/land.php#theme

Also, this isn't a sim I'm in any way affiliated with, or get credit for sharing, lol. I don't want people to think that's why I shared :)

ETA, again: there are other similar places, I know this isn't the cheapest around, I just like their service, the houses are really great too. We never have lag issues, but if anyone did, they fix it immediately(assuming they can). When we first got the place the previous tenant had rezzed some invisi prims, and must have just left the land or just stopped renting anyway. They removed those prims swiftly and we were good to go.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

hazeonelove wrote:

Thank you for that break down. I'm a numbers guy, so that's exactly what I needed. If possible, could you tell me some if the benefits or "support" you were speaking of, that comes with the premium subscription?

You can politely request a sim restart via chat, and they'll usually do it.  If you are a basic member, you have no way to ask.  A few years ago, I had a self-replicating-object griefer attach on my house, and a Linden came there in world to help with it, though I doubt they would go to such lengths now.  Once I had some obscure setting set wrong, and chat support helped me figure out what was wrong when I was at my wits' end.  Worth $10 a year to me.  I've also submitted several tickets over the years, but I don't remember why.

Before I had Premium I have requested SIM restarts as well reporting SIMs off line and had them taken care of.  Sometimes because the categories may not describe your exact situation you pick the best sounding one. 

https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

If your request requires a Premium account they will let you know.

Personally, I'm approaching seven years in SL and except for reporting an offline region or requesting a restart of a Mainland SIM, I have never needed Support. 

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

hazeonelove wrote:

Anyone can request a sim restart,  I do it all the time and am not premium and never have been.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.