Loss of No Copy Items due to landlord repossessing land

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

Actually its not True, if a Land Lord, wants to be a Jerk, there is a way to delete items off a persons land legally I mean Destroy no Copy Items  for good.

Its called Admin > God Tools under this option the region owner, or anyone with Estate rights can perm delete anyone's objects from the region not retuning them to a persons inventory.

Even if a persons items is returned due to server issues items can be lost.

This is a reason in Second Life why when I played SL I would always avoid NO- Copy items from merchants, do this in the future incase you loose your items for this reason.

GothGirl is quite mistaken. The Admin > God Tools feature has not been around for at least 8+ years. I remember seeing it in the OSGrid when it 1st started but it's nowhere in the SL Grid anymore. The Request for Admin mode [Ctrl-Alt-G] has been disabled for ages. You get the useless message [Request for Special Powers failed! The request has been logged.]

As for no-copy item loss here are the basics. If you happen to rez a no-copy item in that time frame where a region [underlying server] is scheduled for a restart, and after the nominal backup of the region system state, then you will lose the no-copy item. It;s so not fair and I wish there was a better notification method than the SL Grid Status Report page. [ http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ ]

The other reason for this is when a Region is suffering transaction congestion [transactions like IM's, and other commands to the SL Asset servers]. These congested transactions may not get backed up in the Region State Backup [due to the congestion] and if you had a partial success in rezzing a no-copy item, the status that is rezzed successfully may fail to register.

The congested region issue causes all sorts of lost object issues. A Landlord/Estate Manager/Region Owner returning objects on a tenants past due parcel when the region is in this state can cause object loss as well..

[~~~ Learned the hard way when I managed a 9 region complex on the OS Grid.~~~]

i've seen many people get evicted over the years..real life evictions..

peoples stuff usually ends up on the street in garbage bags if someone isn't there to claim it..

they don't just evict the person..they get rid of everything so they can get back to business..

the same thing happens in here as well..only it's not as brutal and the bag is a big block of stuff..

once it leaves the land it's not the responsability of the land owner,even if it is sitting on the curb that is attached to the land..

in second life,the second it leaves the land,it's curbed pretty much..

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

Actually its not True, if a Land Lord, wants to be a Jerk, there is a way to delete items off a persons land legally I mean Destroy no Copy Items  for good.

Its called Admin > God Tools under this option the region owner, or anyone with Estate rights can perm delete anyones objects from the region not retuning them to a persons inventory.

Preposterous.

Conspiracy theories while all well and good, at times, not to mention occasionally informative and, usually, entertaining...won't do you a lick of good here. Sometimes your rants are informative, and, usually, they're entertaining, but I feel it's a bit unfair of you to feed into the paranoia some have surrounding this kind of issue. You simply serve to make the problem worse, when in reality the situation is a lot less complicated than that.

This "feature" does not exist, despite what this, person, might like to believe. It hasn't, for a very long time, and it never will again. Even those who have created some of the worst viewers sl has seen to date(and by worse I don't mean performance wise I mean those created with malintent in mind) cannot recreate this, despite years of trying. That should tell you something.

Tari Landar wrote:

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

Its called Admin > God Tools under this option the region owner, or anyone with Estate rights can perm delete anyones objects from the region not retuning them to a persons inventory.

Preposterous.

Conspiracy theories while all well and good, at times, not to mention occasionally informative and, usually, entertaining...won't do you a lick of good here. Sometimes your rants are informative, and, usually, they're entertaining, but I feel it's a bit unfair of you to feed into the paranoia some have surrounding this kind of issue. You simply serve to make the problem worse, when in reality the situation is a lot less complicated than that.

This "feature" does not exist, despite what this, person, might like to believe. It hasn't, for a very long time, and it never will again. Even those who have created some of the worst viewers sl has seen to date(and by worse I don't mean performance wise I mean those created with malintent in mind) cannot recreate this, despite years of trying. That should tell you something.

ya that option still returns the items if i remember right..me and a friend tested it out once a few years back..

she wanted me to delete her stuff from my sim and it sent it to her..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

ya that option still returns the items if i remember right..me and a friend tested it out once a few years back..

she wanted me to delete her stuff from my sim and it sent it to her..

Yeah, it returns the items, exactly as it should. Although LL has never eliminated the possibilityt hat no-copy items *could potentially disappear and not return to someone's inventory, no one else can "delete" using the feature as gothgirl describes, lol. People who create various viewers have been trying for years to create that specific scenario, and can't-it's one of the things that has them butthurt.

As a landlord (not the person specific to this issue) and also long time tenant once back in the day, I can honestly sympathize how you must feel.   My research based on personal experience dealing with thousands of tenants is that some can become highly emotionally attached to their virtual belongings.   When someone within my community is evicted and I have to go to remove their items, in most situations where they have hundreds of prims being used, it makes my chest feel almost like its caving in.  I've also made mistakes in my time that I have learned from, like when I accidently removed the wrong person’s prims (1000+).  I knew within seconds of making this mistake that this person would most like break down and cry in real life and it was my responsibility to be honest and deal with any consequences including emotional support required of me.  They did end up breaking down and even admitted they were crying, this in returned actually made me cry and forced me to be more mindful of the level of emotional that could be involved.  People work hard decorating their land, scripting etc., this situation could have been much worse for many unforeseen circumstances.

Now your situation is also very frustrating for landlords, not because you didn't pay your rent, but because landlords assume that when objects are returned in this routine situation that they are properly returned to your "lost and found folder" as linden labs designed its platform to do.  In my experience I’ve never seen a hiccup where a landlord ended up with objects that they weren't supposed to have had based on the current permission system.  Because landlords actual administration permissions can go no further in this type of situation to investigate and assuming your experienced to identify correct a factual error in linden labs coding, you should be contacting linden labs and opening a jira ticket as your situation appears to have escalated beyond anyone’s control.

From my experience your age in second life (less than a year) increases the odds greatly that you are making an honest technical mistake on your own identifying the object coalesced in your inventory. You’re also dealing with your situation incorrectly referring to laws and projecting metaphors that have no merit on second life.  With a full understanding of the bigger picture one could also see this situation easily being taken out of context.

At the end of the day no one is to blame.  I hope you apology your ex-landlord as I’m sure they would have no issues with welcoming you back as a tenant.   It sounds like they are doing things right which is a far cry to what I’ve seen and heard happening to some people in much more serious situations.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.