Jsut joined SL why does this game run so slow?

Eveningdust

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Doomed Ship isn't too bad, but it's an older sim. It existed before mesh import was an option so it uses a lot of sculpts, a prim type which is not easy to render. Still, go there with a draw distance set to under 100 and you should see better performance than you'd experience in most SL locations. I'll post the SLURL below:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gibson/117/23/754

A bit off topic, but I see the URL, Gibson. Thats where Nexus Prime used to be long ago. Is Doomed Ship by the same designers?

2 hours ago, Sap996 said:

i am getting aroudn 20 fps in consiton guess then its my cpu :(

But you said you'd be happy with 15! ;)

I may have bit unclear when I mentioned the Twisted Path at Coniston. I said it's about as light to render as a crowded SL scene can possibly be. Crowded is the keyword there. I don't actually know of any other place in SL with vegetation as dense and no matter how well it's optimized, that adds a a lot to the load. If you go to the southwestern corner of that same sky platform, you shold easily see 30 fps and more. That part is just as well optimizied but not nearly as crowded. Most places in SL aren't nearly as full of content and if they are reasonably optimized, they shouldn't be that much heavier. If you get 20 fps at the Twisted Path, there should be plenty of great places where your gpu can manage 15 or more, the trick is to find them.

I suppose I should have posted a long list of recommended locations but I'm feeling a bit grumpy at the moment so I'll give you some places to avoid instead. That's much more fun. ;)

• The Social Islands - they're not only griefer hangouts but also Lag Hells. Important tip to all newcomers: get out of there as fast as you possibly can!
  • High profiled sales events during the first days. Why not wait a few days? It's not as if the stores there sell out on anything and sometimes merchants even add a few extra goodies for the late visitors.
  • Crowded clubs. But who wants to party with a bunch of bots and afk friends of the DJ anyway?
  • The stereotypical trying-to-look-realistic-but-way-to-exaggerated-to-be-credible-rusticish-grunge-and-shabby-chic-crossover all mesh sim with all the most fashionable items uploaded - and often even created - by all the most fashionable merchants/brands. Yes, it's pretty as a picture but you can see it as a picture on the owner's Flickr page so there's no need to go there. Their visual appeal tend to fade fast anyway and if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

Of course, there are also several ways to reduce the render cost by reducing the graphics complexity. Open the preferences, click on the Graphics tab and then on "Advanced".  The SL viewer has more buttons, switches and controllers that Cheyenne Mountain and you find a lot of them here. Other are going to go into detail but some of the most important ones for lag control are (if I can remember the names right): Advanced Lightig Mode (ALM), Max. Avatar Render Complexity, Object Details (aka Mesh Details, aka RenderVolumeLODFactor) and Draw Distance.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

A bit off topic, but I see the URL, Gibson. Thats where Nexus Prime used to be long ago. Is Doomed Ship by the same designers?

Sort of. Some people from NP were involved in Doomed and the lead designer from Doomed was invited to help work on a rebuild of Nexus Prime but unfortunately plans for that didn't work out. Still, when Doomed Ship, which originally had its own sim, was going to close the Gibson sim was offered up as a new home.

Doomed Ship is remarkably prim efficient and only uses a fraction of the sim resources, so it's entirely possible for a new Nexus Prime to emerge on the ground even with DS overhead.

• Thanks 1

Alright, Doomed Ship.

So my specs are here:

3.png.f0cd920b8ae7c9129ec4ab37ccc18cb6.png

With near max settings (no x16 AA or anything) in ~1080p (windowed) i get a whopping 4fps in this place.

1.thumb.png.011b48629908061cdb84d81520d49fdf.png

With my usual settings for when im regularly playing i get ~25fps.

2.thumb.png.eae60bd826eba5cc1dd94b6fbee5a562.png

This is the absolute bare minimum performance @Sap996 should be seeing. As this is the Athlon 5350 on its own with no dedicated GPU. If you're seeing worse framerates than this on similar settings, something else is wrong with your computer besides hardware specs. Your A8 isnt fancy, but it should handle SL, especially when paired with the dgpu.

Now of course this isnt a 100% perfect test, there are no people here, and avatars tend to drastically change performance.

You should get better performance in the actual sim area, especially if you drop your draw distance. The entire ship area is completely enclosed so you can never see further than maybe 60-90m anyway. I typically get around 30FPS there even on my 6 year old PC. That's with deferred rendering, shadows and projectors all on.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Why did you revive this thread?

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Because they wanted to irritate us and read this thread:  https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/434061-stopping-necro-posting/

good throwback to when i still ran that toaster of a PC though

ive still got the 5350 on a board, its still kinda meh but good enough for everything but SL

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, EllieBrooke93 said:

My laptop meets all the recommended stuff yet its still slow. Sometimes it will load and then my avatar is a puff cloud and then it freezes when i try to move 

The System Requirements page is woefuly out of date - which should be fairly obvious to even those who blindly buy their computers pre-assembled from Dell, Walmart and such ...

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2015 at 9:55 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

The Radeon HD 4250 in your Compaq Presario scores 106 on the graphics benchmark used by this website...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

The Dell Inspiron 11 graphics system (Intel HD Graphics 4400) benchmarks at 545, more than five times faster.

I think this explains why you're getting poor performance from the Presario.

I have a i7 860 2.80 ghz 10 gb of ram and a nvidia gtx 1050 ti and I still runs life crap please tell me why I need to know I want to play but not like this

57 minutes ago, deamonkin said:

I have a i7 860 2.80 ghz 10 gb of ram and a nvidia gtx 1050 ti and I still runs life crap please tell me why I need to know I want to play but not like this

What are your graphics settings? Shadows are probably a bit beyond that CPU’s capability. If you’re comfortable working on your own computer (which I assume you are since your have a 3 year old graphics card in a ten year old computer) I’d look up upgrading that CPU to a faster Xeon if the motherboard can handle it.

12 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

What are your graphics settings? Shadows are probably a bit beyond that CPU’s capability. If you’re comfortable working on your own computer (which I assume you are since your have a 3 year old graphics card in a ten year old computer) I’d look up upgrading that CPU to a faster Xeon if the motherboard can handle it.

I run a 1050 OC at Ultra-High so shadows are on and the card is capable.

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

Edited by Selene Gregoire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.