What the heck is wrong with SL?

Foxylove2012

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Foxylove2012 wrote:

Today has been an absolute rage fest for me in SL. Nothing is loading, voice keeps crashing, and teleports keep failing. I've cleared my cache and done a clean reinstall of my viewer (firestorm) but nothing works. Is there something going on I'm not aware of?

No problems here either, including two long-distance flights with over 20 sim crossings each. Try going to your "Avatar" menu and selecting "Avatar Health" and then "Recreate LSL Bridge."

It's entirely possible that the error is on your end, a connection debacle. That's not to say you're responsible, of course. When you have connection issues, just about anything in sl can screw up. But the things you described are things I know connection problems affect.

I've had times in the past when my ISP was, clearly, having issues. Although websites and the 'net in general seemed relatively fine, sl(or possibly other programs, depending on what I was doing at the time) would go all wonky. Voice relies on a different server/company-not LL. Teleports can go goofy when your connection isn't great too.

So it's very likely that despite the issues the grid may be having, it may not be sl at all, but rather your connection. Even if it "seems" fine everywhere but sl. I've had it happen before. There was one time period when it was happening quite frequently to me, despite my ISP saying they had no issues, it wasn't sl, and my pc was fine. Still no clue what exactly caused it, but it went away on it's own-which only proves to me it was the ISP, and they just weren't being very forthcoming(I don't have that ISP anymore, not that it matters, lol).

Foxylove2012 wrote:

Everything was working fine for me before these restarts happened. Once they did everything went to crap. It's not my end because I've done mutliple troubleshooting and contact my ISP to comfirm anything on their end. It's LL and something they did. 

I'd never rule out that it could, indeed, be sl. Especially lately, given all the problems that we were having. However I don't think you should discount that your connection to sl might not always be that great either. Regardless of what your ISP tells you, or how your pc performs on the rest of the 'net, it can still have connection issues with sl. Voice and teleports are often the very first things to start screwing up when there's some type of connection error going on. Voice has nothing to do with sl, it's a completely different server, provided by someone else-that just happens to work(rather well most of the time) with the sl servers and platform. So unless LL really boggles something up seriously, they don't usually have much control on how it works(or even if it works). That's one area they can, sometimes, help troubleshoot but cannot usually fix. A connection error, or a firewall issue, are usually the reason voice malfunctions.

If the problems are widespread among more people, with different machines/connections/errors it's always most likely something on sl's end. When a problem is less widespread, it's less likely to be sl itself that is the culprit.

Hopefully your problems resolve soon.

Foxylove2012 wrote:

Everything was working fine for me before these restarts happened. Once they did everything went to crap. It's not my end because I've done mutliple troubleshooting and contact my ISP to comfirm anything on their end. It's LL and something they did. 

Try turning off voice and see if it helps. Vivox, the company that runs the SL voice service, changed some things early Tuesday morning.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.