QAvimator position different on Grid

Myshel Neiro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been working on animations in QAvimator and keep running into a problem that's driving me up the wall.  Maybe someone here can help.

I'm making an animation that is primarily just a pose, but I'm trying to add in some suble swaying to keep the avatar more lifelike.  With this swaying, I'm adjusting the leg rotations, and then adjusting the avatar's position to keep it's feet planted in place.  In the simplest instance, all I'm doing is changing the avatar's Z-position to -1 half-way through the sway, and back to 0 later.

Across every one of these animations I attempt, in Second Life the first half of the animation is perfect.  However, about half-way through when it hits the position keyframe, it no longer gradually moves the avatar.  Rather, it rapidly jumps through the rest of the animation - position only.  The end result is an ugly lerch forward while the limbs return to the starting rotations at the proper pace.

Frame 1 is the unaltered T-pose and I've tried making the looped animation take up frames in the animation (ie 1-33%, 66-100%), but the problem persists, and is very consistent.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Ultimately, I have no idea what is going on. I'd actually have to have the bvh to know for sure. I can speculate tho. I'm guessing that the animation optimization is screwing your animation up. The reason I'm guessing this is because you mentioned subtle movements. Basically, the importer looks for changes in movements from frame to frame. If those movements are too small, the importer won't pick up the movement. 1 simple way to fix this is to lower your fps. By lowering your fps, each frames movement will be a bit greater.

I could be totally off the mark on this, but I really have no other advice without more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Great! Well, I find it to be a somewhat common problem that is asked to me, maybe not in the forums tho. Many people think they want the best animation, so they use as much fps as possible. I never looked at animation that way. I always thought, if the character is not moving like crazy, why would I use so much fps, and end up dealing with more frames than I needed. When people would complain about the uploader, I had no clue what they were talking about, as I never had a problem. Then, when I got my mocap system, and did some mocaps with little movement, I realize right away what others had experienced. It didn't take me long to figure out why, as I didn't like dealing with hundreds of frames, and reduced it shortly after. If we are talking about a dance animations with quick movements, then you need all the fps you can get. Even 30 fps can be challenging to get the movements of some quick dances.

• 3 weeks later...

it's been a while so I may be completely wrong on this but I believe you can lock the hips into a certain offset position when you adjust the x,y,z of the hips. So at the half-way point you are locking the hips. I  would try locking the hips at the beginning of the animation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.