Sign in to follow this  
Vegetasan

How do I pay with my Paypal balance?

Question

This question seems to be re occurring lately, If a bank debit card is linked to the paypal account it should be accepted, I my self am starting to wonder if LL have changed the criteria. I for one will not be using a credit card in SL ever.

ADDED: I can find no changes, I not sure myself on this now.

6 answers to this question

This question seems to be re occurring lately, If a bank debit card is linked to the paypal account it should be accepted, I my self am starting to wonder if LL have changed the criteria. I for one will not be using a credit card in SL ever.

ADDED: I can find no changes, I not sure myself on this now.

The money for the L's will come out of your cash account first and only be charged to your credit or debit card if you have insufficient funds.  LL will not take PayPal payments unless you have that backup because if you don't have sufficient funds they don't want to wait until you provide them.  Your PayPal has to be set up to provide instant payments of any amounts charged. Having only a bank account connected to the account is not sufficient as a bank draft would take several days to clear.

I have a Paypal account that's connected only to my bank account, with no CC backup. I generally transfer small amounts of money into the Paypal account, then use that to make Linden purchases. I haven't done so recently, but that's always worked.

When you say your PayPal is verified, do you mean that you have linked your PayPal account to a RL bank account, using the verification process on the PP web site?

Amethyst has it right, but let me restate to be sure that you see what the options are.  As far as Linden Lab is concerned, the payment method that you record with them has to meet two criteria:

1. It must be verified.  That is, the agency you are using to handle the money must have found some way to know who you are and where you can be reached.

2. It must be capable of instant transfers. That is, Linden Lab must be able to get their money as soon as you click a pay button, not a few minutes or a day later.

So, a prepaid credit card - like one that you buy at Wal-Mart or the grocery store or even at your bank -- does not work because it fails the first criterion.  One of the reasons you bought it was to remain anonymous, and anonymity fails the first test.

A credit card passes both tests, but many debit cards do not, because they cannot handle instant transfers reliably.  If the balance on your debit card drops to zero, the bank won't simply load more money into it from your credit line.  By the time Linden Lab finds out that the debit card has no money, it's too late.

A PayPal account satisfies criterion #1 if PayPal has verified your identity and address.  If they verified you by asking for a credit card as backup, the account also satisfies criterion #2 because credit cards transfer money immediately.  If PayPal verified your account by using your bank as a backup, though, it fails the second criterion.  That would leave you with a big problem, except that Linden Lab gives you a way out. They add the statement: "OR that you pay with your PayPal balance in USD." So, if your PayPal account is backed up by a bank account to verify your identity, you CAN use it, but you have to be responsible for being sure that it has enough cash in it to pay your Second Life bills instantly.  Linden Lab won't wait for PayPal to transfer money from your bank account.