A Plea to Mesh Clothing Designers

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A lot of mesh clothing comes with a HUD to change the color or texture.  Most of it is no-mode.

I like to make outfits so that I can change quickly and conveniently.  If I want to use different colors of an item with different outfits, it is most convenient for me to keep multiple copies set to different colors in inventory.  Since I can't change the names of no-mod items, the only way I can keep up with which copy is what color is top keep them in appropriately-labeled separate folders.  If they were modifiable, I could just append the color to the name and keep them all in one folder.

Designers, will you please stop making these items no-mod?

I think that a better option for the creators would be to provide two versions. One with HUD included and a variety pack with the appropriate names. Most of the time, creators like to keep their items No-mod but this preference varies depending on who you are talking to. 

a lot of them are in a bind with permissions. if they buy prefabs and texture those for sale, the license often says that the original creator should be obscured. they use a dummy root prim to do that, and if the item is mod then it could be removed. this doesn't totally hide the mesh creator, but maybe it cuts down on misdirected support messages to them.

In most cases, mesh items being mod or no mod is somewhat moot.  The commonly given reason for making prim work no mod is to prevent script injection which will replicate the prim build.  The second commonly given reason is to prevent texture change.

In the case of texture change, since a given mesh item will have a specific UV map, it's not like just dropping on any texture is going to work in many cases.  (Yes, I know some full perm template stuff has the faces set such that this is easy enough).  Either way, it's more unusual these days to encounter a colour set which can be merely tinted and still look good so this is a bit of a weak argument.

I do have very strong opinions about "no mod" but if someone is that super keen to do they, the object could also include a simple "chat command to rename" method but then that requires a bit more effort on the creators part for something which would suit an exceptionally small percentage of users but it could be done easily enough.

Designers that sell clothing and accessories, prim or mesh, and do it no mod, are bad designers that no one should buy from.

Sellign something no mod is almost universally bad. I've only ever heard one good reason for selling something no mod- so that script functionality won't break. Functions that use link numbers can go real bad if you change links, for example.

Clothes don't have to be scripted, so there isn't a single good reason to sell them no mod.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.