Breaking News! 2 Avatars in custody after using Display Names

LiveReport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

rotpaulette Carter wrote:

Jaen Albatros wrote:

<snip>

I am not sure if it is a good idea for saturday, i think we wanted send the picture to Torley

maybe another time or day?

i am just thinking loud,of course i want Keli free too

Thing is Rot, it's a good opportunity to get a pic of as many people as possible holding the placards.....then the pic could be sent to Torley?

I am just saying what i am thinking , no more ,  if it is good to derail the saturday picture?  i dont think so,    like i said if we make another date we will be sure to have people who really want Keli free

Just saying

See what you mean, but maybe the saturday pic could be taken, then the people who want Keli free could stay afterwards for another pic?

I dunno, what does everybody else think?

*appeals to the forum*

I do see your point...and one well made rotpaulette.  I have to agree...though I want that imp Keli to go free also...introducing the signs at the photo shoot would derail/deter from the original goal of the pic.  That said...I do also like the idea of a protest...however futile it may be (we all know LL never listens to the citizens of SL). I would be willing to stick around for both pics or perhaps we could all pose for the one and someone could PS a banner above us for the "Free Keli" campaign.

~X~

I mean is also showing respect to the organisators of the picture shooting,    and  also to the Sim Owner which represents its Sim with a demonstration however good it

Yes, i see your point too now Rot. Well, i am but a tiny cog in a big wheel, i will just go with the flow.

Please everyone reading this (especially the Lindens - with a capital 'L') understand very very clearly I am NOT suggesting this, just wondering....

I can't help but wonder what would happen if either on April Fools Day, or Halloween, everyone dressed up like Philip Linden's original avatar?  No name using any form of "linden" in it.  Just the look of the avatar.  Would any of the new residents even have a clue what it might be about?  Would the older (by signon date dear) see it as anything other than being intended to celebrate the day?

Just curious,

Jenny

JennAnn.Dubrovna wrote:

Please everyone reading this (especially the Lindens - with a capital 'L') understand very very clearly I am NOT suggesting this, just wondering....

I can't help but wonder what would happen if either on April Fools Day, or Halloween, everyone dressed up like Philip Linden's original avatar?  No name using any form of "linden" in it.  Just the look of the avatar.  Would any of the new residents even have a clue what it might be about?  Would the older (by signon date dear) see it as anything other than being intended to celebrate the day?

Just curious,

Jenny

I don't think the issue is the "appearance", Jenny. Issue is strictly connected to the use of Linden name. I even think Philip Linden would rather be amused at seeing an army of Philip(s) having a good time  

As far as i see things,if Keli was banned becouse her name,then LL is guilty in same percentage as Keli.LL protected their name so nobody could register as a "Linden".If they had the power to protect that name,they should have protected every name that could be missleading or made up to look like a "Linden" name.They didnt do that and now they wake up and realise that they left an open window to people to find similar names.I wonder how manny windows did they left open in whole sl?

LL please cut the crap,protect your names,change her name to a default one and let her play!My 2 cents.

Fery Ghost wrote:

As far as i see things,if Keli was banned becouse her name,then LL is guilty in same percentage as Keli.LL protected their name so nobody could register as a "Linden".If they had the power to protect that name,they should have protected every name that could be missleading or made up to look like a "Linden" name.They didnt do that and now they wake up and realise that they left an open window to people to find similar names.I wonder how manny windows did they left open in whole sl?

LL please cut the crap,protect your names,change her name to a default one and let her play!My 2 cents.

That was $10 worth of 2 cents.  Good post.

Kelinda  wrote:

Please don't make yourself feel responsible in any way. I know that Keli wound not want you to feel like that. What happened started on Jan 10: http://blogs.secondlife.com/message/565107#565107

Your story started on Jan 11: http://blogs.secondlife.com/thread/54715?start=0&tstart=0

So please don't feel bad. I feel bad for you that now you are missing parts to your story.

Gosh Kelinda, you remind me of someone, but I just can't think who...

Jaen Albatros wrote:

Jaen Albatros wrote:

<snip>

I am not sure if it is a good idea for saturday, i think we wanted send the picture to Torley

maybe another time or day?

i am just thinking loud,of course i want Keli free too

Thing is Rot, it's a good opportunity to get a pic of as many people as possible holding the placards.....then the pic could be sent to Torley?

I am just saying what i am thinking , no more ,  if it is good to derail the saturday picture?  i dont think so,    like i said if we make another date we will be sure to have people who really want Keli free

Just saying

See what you mean, but maybe the saturday pic could be taken, then the people who want Keli free could stay afterwards for another pic?

I dunno, what does everybody else think?

*appeals to the forum*

This is what I would suggest too... get a pic without the signs, then one with. I personally think a protest would give the photo shoot an authentic 60s-ish feel. And Dillon sent me these awesome signs to go along with Maddy's. They are copy/transfer so I can give to anyone at the shoot who wants one.

FreeKeli_001.png

To Sole Demina

Re: "I don't think the issue is the "appearance", Jenny. Issue is strictly  connected to the use of Linden name. I even think Philip Linden would  rather be amused at seeing an army of Philip(s) having a good time"

I know the issue is getting Kelly free.  But someone had commented about being unwise to give the appearance of being a linden. I just haven't figured out how to include what I'm responding to in my post yet.  Makes it frustrating when my "reply to" ends up so far from what I'm actually replying to when it isn't the original post.

Hugs,

Sole Demina wrote:

JennAnn.Dubrovna wrote:

Just curious,

Jenny

I don't think the issue is the "appearance", Jenny. Issue is strictly connected to the use of Linden name. I even think Philip Linden would rather be amused at seeing an army of Philip(s) having a good time  

Jenny

OOPS just figured it out.  OMG it works too.  YAY!!!

jenny does happy dance

LiveReport  wrote:

We interrupt your normal GD Postings to bring you this special update from a central coast  beach:

That is right dwellers I am standing right here on the very beach where the incidence occurred. It's all cleaned up now (sim restarted, parcels return to owners, environmental settings returned to normal) but this was not the case Sunday morning when two Avies where hit with all the Shock and Awe LL could dish out. IP bans, computer bans, account bans and the removal of forums post. The full arsenal of the LL attack team homing in on one location.

Details at this point are still come coming in but here is what we know:

Keli K's Avi is in custody and her account is on Administrative Hold as she waits for official communication from the Lab.

Keli I (That is a capital "i" not a small "L") is in critical condition in the detention center's medical facility. She is having a hard time remembering anything. Search now brings up nothing for her, it is like she never existed! She keeps mumbling the words "It's just like Katy Perry's hair, it is just like her hair!"

For more background on what caused this incidence we are talking live with her doctor.

It appears that Keli I (That is a capital "i" not a small "L") was born with an incredible love for Lindens. So much so that as she grew up she liked to think of herself as being a Trans-Linden. These Trans-Linden feelings overwhelmed her life. As these feelings grew she even went so far as to make her name appear more like a Linden by capitalizing one of "i"s. It is in my professional opinion that this is the worst case of lindenitis I have ever seen.  Iindenitis is a very rare and is usually a terminal disease that only people that live in San Francisco survive. We think this has something to do with the cheese out there. Since Keli I lives outside of the city her chances of survival and not very good.

Thank you doctor.

Now for more on this situation we have an interview live form Keli K's cell.

LiveReport: So Keli, is it okay if I call you KK and her KI just to make it easier?

(Putting her Paris Hilton bookmark in her (now) one and only possession "Cooking with Martha" cookbook and looking up to answer the question:

Keli K: Sure

LiveReport: So did you believe that KI was a Linden?

Keli K: No, not at all I use both usernames and display names so I could see that she was not really a Linden, but I loved her anyways because (looks around and whispers) I love Lindens too.

LiveReport: So did you know her long?

Keli K: No. She has only been around a week but I friended her on the very first day. We have so much in common.

LiveReport: She keep mumbling about Katy Perry's hair any idea what that is about?

Keli K: Oh ya, like I totally understand that! You know when you have a favorite star and you go to the hair dressers and you tell them you want your hair to look like them?

LiveReport: um....ya?

Keli K: Well she is saying her name is like that.

LiveReport: ...Okay..?

Keli K: When you get your hair done you are not trying to trick anyone into thinking you are Katy you just want to look like her. Same with KI she wasn't trying to trick anyone she was just trying to look like her favorite stars. She even wrote "I AM NOT A LINDEN" in her profile with a link to the official webpage just to make sure that no one got confused.

LiveReport: Do you think it confused people?

Keli K: No! We were at a party on saturday with over 65 different people showing up and not one asked "Are you a Linden" or "Can I have a bear?" She thought everyone knew it was for play not for harm.

LiveReport: So KK what are you going to do now?

Keli K: I am not really sure. The website gives is the option to start a ticket but I don't know what that is and if it will help. I am hoping the Lab gives me some idea where I stand. I mean I don't understand if I am getting a timeout or banned or what is going on.

Well there you have it. After creating a Display Name written Iiden (Captal "i" i-n-d-e-n) a team of Lab experts were called in to end this evil of Iindenitis. That is the latest for now, we will keep you updated as more breaking news happens. PLUS we will be following up on a lead we have from the rumorville that Keli I was turned over to the authorities from inside the FC Hangout.

I know most don't feel it's right regarding Keli which should have known better then to do what she did, but it happened and now the consequences have to be paid.  This is the rules from LL regarding this which isn't a whole lot:

You are free to express yourself as long as the name complies with the Second Life Terms of Service and Community Standards. When selecting a name do Not choose one that violates a celebrity's  right in their name, a trademarked brand name or any copy right or intellectual property rights, deceives others regarding your Identity or affliation, is vulgar, offensive, hateful or harrassing.

The above rules will also apply when registering a user name for a new Second Life account.In addition, we don't allow any resident to create a username which is an exsisting Resident's user name without the period.for example, if "jack.linden" is an exsisting user name then no resident can create 'jacklinden'.

This is at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Displaynames/FAQ#Are_there_any_rules_for_choosing_a_display_name.3F

Anyways, makes for some interesting reading , also the TOS which Keli should also read and hopefully these articles will help her case some. Good Luck Keli  

Jaen Albatros wrote:

Thank you for your support Foxy.

I fear it may be too late now though....there have been no posts from or news of Keli for over a day now.

All we can do is wait and hope.

Keli if you can read this, don't give up!! You have lots of supporters!

You're very welcome. Maybe she is just keeping a low profile right now till she gets things worked out. Sometimes that is the best thing to do.She'll be back

GDN interrupts your normally scheduled derailment with this Special Report

LiveReport: Hello Dwellers I am out here live at the Lagville Detention Facility where a small group of protesters have gathered to object to the hold that has been put on Keli K's avatar. Many others are also here to object to Ms. K's actions and to show support for the course of action the Lab has taken. But what actions have been taken and has Due Process been followed in this case? Here is where we stand:

LiveReport: 13 days ago an Avatar was created that used iinden as the last name spelled with a capital “i”.

LiveReport: 7 days ago Ms. K's account was put on Administrative hold we are assuming for the use of the last name iinden.

LiveReport: We can only assume because over the last 7 days the Lab has sent out no official communication of any kind to this user. She has not been told she is banned. She has not been told she is suspended she has been told of any charges held against her at all. But any computer Ms. K ever used to access any part of Second Life is denied access to the In-World features of SL no matter who the true owner is. All this is happening without any communications from the Lab. Her avatars are not able to log in to the support pages to file a ticket. It does not give her any reason like banned account, or on hold, it just won't let her. Concerned where all this was going she filed a guest ticket and followed it up with a phone call on Wednesday. Phone support told her “Oh it is nothing to worry about your account is just on Administrative Hold, it happens all the time, if you are having problems logging into the website you should try a alt.” Considering the circumstances around this Hold Keli thought it wise to ask some questions. “Does it say I am banned? Does it say anything at all in there?” The person on the phone told her “No all it says is it is on Hold. It is probably nothing to worry about and it should clear it self up in a few days.”

LiveReport: How would you feel it your entire SLife was taken away and no one sent an email to say goodbye. No reason, no way to appeal, no case number, no nothing?

LiveReport: I know how to find out how Keli feels, let's ask her:

JailKe.jpg

LiveReport: Keli you have been following this weekend's events how do you feel about all of this?

Keli K: I have read everything everyone has written, both good and bad, I am a humbled by it all. The fact that I have supporters just overwhelms me. (wipes her eye)

LiveReport: Are you okay?

Keli K: It's okay I just has little something in my eye, that is all. You know Live maybe people are right, maybe I should have known better, I just wasn't thinking. Just about two weeks ago they took the forums down for a hour to fix something and when they came back up everyone with one word (witch I think should be spelled “oneword” so not to confuse anyone), ...with one word names could post. It was awesome it looked like so much fun! I got the green check mark on that name and just kind of jumped right in without think about it very much. Later as I thought about what I had done on impulse I started putting the disclaimers and corrections in the profile... I still hope I have supporters after they see how silly and impulsive I can be. I love what they did. Did you see I hung up the picture?

LiveReport: Yes I see that. I also see that you hung up a picture of Katy Perry, what is that all about?

Keli K: OMG I didn't tell you what I did last night?!?

LiveReport: No.

Keli K: Well I was so bored because I can't get In-World so I was surfing around on the internet. Checking out how low the balance is on the credit card I use for SL and I see this notice...

LiveReport: ...and...

Keli K: ...“As a card member you are invited to buy prerelease tickets to Katy Perry before sales open to the public.” It said the day I could buy them was last night! So I checked the balance, which was low because I am not spending in SL, and I bought us tickets!

LiveReport: Us? You and me? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

(Jumping up and down singing)

LiveReport: We're going to Katy Perry, we're going to Katy Perry!

Keli K: We're going to Katy Perry, we're going to Katy Perry!

CameraMan: Cough, cough cough!

LiveReport: Sorry about that I just got a little excited. (getting more serious)

LiveReport: So how do you feel about being held without the opportunity to be informed of the charges against you?

Keli K: I think that is the one thing that has me on edge, the not knowing. But I am trying to understand. This is a complicated matter, usernames and display names and all that. This whole thing might require some rewriting of TOS and some reprogramming to iron it all out. I hope they did not just throw me on the back burner somewhere and forget about me. I hope that they are using this time to think things through carefully. If that is the case all I can do a wait.

LiveReport: Well there you have it. That is all for this Live Update now back to your discussion:

/me sniffles

This made me tear up but also laugh at the same time. I so admire Keli's ability to take the situation seriously, own up to her mistake, yet still maintain a sense of humor about it all.

I sincerely hope LL is done making an example of you soon, Keli. I think we're all learning an important lesson from this, but I'm sorry you had to be the one to take one for the team.

I think governor Humble should come out onto the balcony before the assembled masses and give the thumb up signal on this one. *crowd ROARZ!!!

Then we can go grab Keli and shoulder her down Ru.de Sl, under the Arc de 3oomph and on to the Yikes!full Tower and crowd surf her about for a whiles

Gawd I hate Katy ;P 

If your rrs was that big? you'd have skin tight jeans t00

Keli K, you *are* missed!  We will celebrate your return.  I just hope that these posts from LiveReport do not exacerbate your situation.  Of course, that assumes that someone from LL reads the GD (/me laughs).  I suggest that you continue to tread carefully and wait for the process to chug its way through whatever system they use.

GDN interrupts your normally scheduled derailment with this Special Report

LiveReport: Hello Dwellers I am out here live at the Lagville Detention Facility to answer some of the day's most pressing questions. To dig deep and to find the answer we are going Live into (Shhhh...) one of Keli K's dreams.

Dream1.JPG

LiveReport: Is Keli showing signs of addiction to SL, does she realize how much time she spent in the GDFs and more importantly is this her most embarrassing SL moment? For more on this story we now enter into the dream where her new attorney “ReallyBlonde,” fresh out of SLaw school, is questioning a witness.

ReallyBlonde: So the night before this incidence do you remember what you were doing?

(ProtectedName): That was over a week ago you can't expect me to...(interrupted)

ReallyBlonde: Is it possible Mr. um whatever... that the night before you were out roleplaying?

(ProtectedName): Well I do enjoy a good...(interrupted)

ReallyBlonde: Is possible, may I say highly likely that you turned off the usernames and just used display names to engage in the RP activity.

(ProtectedName): Well it does help to... (interrupted)

ReallyBlonde: So the next morning when you saw the two avatars standing a the beach all you saw was display names, is this true, IS IT?

(ProtectedName): Well I didn't look at...(interrupted)

ReallyBlonde: Is it also true that when you ordered that attack they were the only two avatars on the sim and they were deceiving no one?

(ProtectedName): It was just a very small, my we say tiny attack...(interrupted)

ReallyBlonde: Was it now? We just happen to have the tape of that morning, ROLL THE TAPE AL! (very, very short clip don't think about it just hit play already )

ReallyBlonde: Your Honor I have no further questions for this witness.

Judge WallopHer: You my step down. Who is your next witness Ms. Blonde?

ReallyBlonde: For my next witness I would like to call on Keli K.

Dream2.JPG

DudeWithBook: Do you swear to use your imagination to tell your dream in a funny yet informative mater without using any corny puns or intense sarcasm that might go over the heads of some people?

Keli K: I do.

ReallyBlonde: Ms. K were you trying to deceive anyone with the use of the name in question?

Keli K: No not at all. I didn't really even think anyone but noobs would think anything of it and I avoided noobs just in case.

ReallyBlonde: So you had no intention of running around SL fooling people.

Keli K: No I thought I would only use this Avi for special occasions like parties, snowball fights and hanging out at the FC Hangout.

ReallyBlonde: But don't you think the whole thing was a little deceptive?

Keli K: It was not meant to be. I was hoping people would see the difference between user names and display names and think it was funny, I also think what type font is displayed makes a very big difference. Both the top and the bottom are “i” “L” and the number one...

Type.jpg

Keli K: ...it's just like Katy Perry's hair, it's just like her hair...What?!?! Where am I?!? What is going on?!?

ReallyBlonde: I think Ms. K is waking up now. We better go!

That is all for this Live Update now back to your discussion:

Free Keli !!

In the past few monts since "Display Names" came out .. the amount of "Philip Lz" I have seen around looking for a good time etc is more than a few.

It's in some folks DNA to have a little fun .. no harm intended.

Hard luck Keli .. I hope it works out for ya girl.

Well, shoot. I had some time off yesterday so I took the bus out to Lagville to see if I could get in to visit Keli. Now I see she was in court so even if I'd gotten past the guardhouse I'd have missed her. They turned me away, I'm afraid. I maybe should not have had that file. Or the sawz-all. Wirecutters. The dynamite was probably a bad idea too.

Next time I'll be more careful. For now I'll just wait, like everyone else. And hope for good things, like everyone else.

ETA: Oh, I misread--it was only a dream. She wasn't really in court (of course she was probably asleep).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.