Where to meet people in-world?

Nancy Toocool

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is probably a question that has been asked on this forum before, but I spent an hour exploring the past threads and could not find anything. Aalso, since things can disappear in SL only in a matter of hours, a response posted 6 months ago might be obsolete by now.

Anyway, to my question... Where to meet people in-world? Any suggestions? Do you know any nice places to meet people between their, say 20s and 40s? It can be on the more romantic side, or just friendly chat with potential new pals.

I have been in SL for over 4 years and this still puzzles me. I have dusted off my best gowns and spent hours and hours in the major ballrooms (or jazz clubs as they refer to themselves), but can mostly meet... Well, just the certain type of people there (I don't want to come off as rude, and yes, out of the thousands I have met at those clubs, I have made a few good friends over the years). I've also hung around at the "societies" and "lounges" but it all seems to boil down to having sex (and just that) in one form or another in those places. I've gone clubbing, you know, dancing at those trendy clubs with al my bling and nothing else on, but it's so hard to meet anyone in those places, when the majority of people won't participate in local chat conversations, and the ones that do keep spamming the same 20 lines long "WOOHOO! TUNE!" gestures, which swallow any sign of intelligent life that may have been uttered between them.

So, all and any suggestions are welcome. Or am I just too picky? I hope not. I'm really a nice person and not the whiny or overly needy type and it shouldn't be this hard for me to meet new people, I mean, seriously, I once met a dude while shopping wigs, and I just want to be loved and.... [her voice fades out as she is being violently dragged out of this message box by her self-censoring part]

hello well not too picky:matte-motes-asleep-2:but i have the same problem i walk by myself around places im new in Sl but i was researching about places different of ballas and disco, there is a city i dont remember the name but i will find it, in that city everybody as a role play so in that place i think you can meet new ppl since i came her i went to a place calles helping haven there are excellent ppl helping each others having fun and many of them are online so is a good place.

So have fun and keep searching!!!

Sporting events are a good place to meet folks, and there are many

choices in SL. SLRDA Roller Derby has a fun skate every friday, and bouts almost

every Sunday. Other options might be GOHA hockey, or any of the wrestling events.

Racers Island has tracks you can race cars on, or race against others. just type "Sports"

into your SL search :)

Nancy Toocool wrote:

This is probably a question that has been asked on this forum before, but I spent an hour exploring the past threads and could not find anything. Aalso, since things can disappear in SL only in a matter of hours, a response posted 6 months ago might be obsolete by now.

Anyway, to my question... Where to meet people in-world? Any suggestions? Do you know any nice places to meet people between their, say 20s and 40s? It can be on the more romantic side, or just friendly chat with potential new pals.

Nancy!  Hello, it's me Celestiall!  (We've met at MJ's!)     Contact me inworld, or I'll send you an IM. 

Just today,

1) I met with an inworld science group to start a way-cool build project.

2) I joined up with someone else who's signed up for an MOOC (online course) and we're going to meet in SL for mutual discussion  and support.  We'll also probably have a book discussion that recommended for the course.

3) I hosted open hours at a club (not a sex type lounge)

4) Worked on rewriting group info an inworld group.

*On Sun I went on a RP sim tour with an inworld explorers club.

I'll send you an IM inworld, and we can exchange notes, info, and talk.  There's tons of people to meet and do things with!

Thank you for your kind replies :) I had never thought of sports events (unless you count dancing as such, ehehe), I'll have to check it out. It's wonderful to see that SL still has lots of surprises for me. I didn't even know there's wrestling events in SL!

Falejvi, is the city you mentioned called Dead End? That's a pretty popular urban rp (I'm a member there already).

Celestiall, I sent you an IM, talk to you later :) And yes I remember seeing you in our shows.

Sup!Sup!\(^ o ^)/

Well first of all, what are your hobbies/interests?

Hopefully, someone here may provide a nice landmark to a sim related to the hobby/interest with a nice community.

I could also suggest taking classes or getting job(only as a hobbie but a few extra lindens on the side doesn't hurt).

Hi there and thanks for your suggestions!

I have tons of hobbies and jobs in SL: creating and performing in burlesque dance numbers, photography, building (to an extent), and I've been working at various clubs as a dancer and a hostess, and at stores as a sales representative and photographer, I've rp'd on a few sims as a waitress in a restaurant. The problem is, I rarely actually meet-meet anyone like that. I don't know why that is. Maybe because it is a "job" or a hobby, so there's a certain level of professionality, or client - service provider feel to it.

What I really was after in this post was a place where people go to meet others per se - where meeting others is the main function. I know several places like that exist, but they're usually either too sex-oriented or those super formal ball rooms. I don't know what I'm looking for to be honest. There used to be a lovely philosophical discussion group in SL that I enjoyed a lot, but it withered away. I've also been to a few lovely cafés where people just sit and mingle (as opposed to dance on the floor without interacting), but the problem is that most of those places are empty.

You do have a point though: Many of the most interesting people I know now, I have found "by accident", via a hobby or when I've been doing something else than looking for new people to meet. But that's like one in a million...

i have had this exact same problem, but I've never heard the suggestion of hanging around at sporting events. I'm looking into the roller derby thing now, that sounds awesome.

can totally relate to that bit about the dance clubs... i love to go dancing in SL and there are so many options for clubs, but it's always really disappointing when everyone is talking in private, except the hosts/promoters who just spam local chat with mess >_<  I'm still looking for a good social/dancing club.

Mike Reaves wrote:

Sadly, most of those people are not talking in private, just alts trying to cheat the party's prize. It's very disappointed how hard nowadays is to meet nice people to talk o make just friends, seems people in SL are just looking for money or sex.

Yes, you do have a point there, but let's not give up :) I like to think there are still genuine people in SL (and not just on these forums), who truly enjoy meeting new people in-world and so on.

Nancy Toocool wrote:

So, all and any suggestions are welcome. 

Try this: a liitle guide so to speak.

http://www.second-life-adventures.com/friends-second-life/

Also go to hang outs were noobs learn their stuff like Kuula:

http://www.second-life-adventures.com/kuula-citizen-incorporated/

And my personal favorite are beaches! Check out Wildcoast or Turtle. Yes the later is an adult place, but a classy one and people go there to make friends also.

http://www.second-life-adventures.com/turtle-coast-adult-nude-beach-life/

There I met quite a lot of very open minded and friendly people. Clubs dont work for me that good - dont know why!

The sports suggestion is great. Every sport has their own comunities. 

I like surfing at SL, and there are lot of beaches to surf, and competitions, parties.

Also sailors have a good comunity. Box too also with competitions.

But sure making real friends is always tricky, you can meet lot of ppl but you wont always conect with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just come back to SL from a couple years away and it is sometimes really hard to just start talking , I feel like I am intruding on the regulars conversation in a lot of places. I wonder if a lot of people just stand about / dance and not join in for this reason ? Hard to find somewhere I feel it's appropriate to just jump in and chat

One of the friendliest places I've found to hang out and chat is Commune Utopia. There's nearly always someone around, just chilling on the beach or lounging by the pond. Its a fun little community.  There's a one-time fee to join the group but no obligation to do so; non-members are just as welcome.  It's in an Adult sim and clothing is optional but its nothing like the typical sex-beaches elsewhere.

And I will always reccommend The Shelter as a good chatty place, especially for new folk..

• 4 weeks later...

I recently returned to SL after a long hiatus and I am having the same problem making friends and feeling awkward about joining in the chat. When I try to chat sometimes people are so rude and ignore me...anyways. Feel free to add me. I love chatting and making new friends :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.