Sign in to follow this  
Magnet Homewood

Rod Humble to leave LL

Your thoughts?

Personally, while I don't know much about what the CEO does, I have a feeling he was kind of in the middle - not really doing much good, and not doing much bad. I could be wrong, but I reckon he may be remembered as being better for SL than Kapor was. Hopefully the next CEo can kick-start SL back into expansion.

Where did you get this information?

I was not aware of his departure; though to be honest if he does leave then am glad because Second Life is not an video game; it's not designed to be one it's an virtual simulation and that's it; there's no objective.

Yes, there is games within second life but it's not actually an video game.

His work on mesh was appreciated but really not entirely nessacary we had content before mesh.

And the only thing i'm glad about is the speeding rezzing otherwise that's really it.

If this is true then the next CEO should be an long time resident who is well aware of what SL needs. If all you do is sit on the desk then you will never know what SL truly needs.

Well, frankly, as I have posted numerous times in these forums, he has laughed all the way to the bank.   A better 'invisible' CEO there never was.

What now for the shills?

JustBecauseICanBeFriendly wrote:

Where did you get this information?

See this thread which was the first Forum Post (yesterday) about this and has an  already ongoing discussion and links to further information.:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Rod-Humble-leaving-Linden-Lab/td-p/2455201

Eh, he was the captain of a ship that's both had failures and successes. I'm not going to attribute any of either, to him and him alone.

Whether or not he was a stand up guy in some areas, or a jerk in others, makes no difference to me.

I do know that some of the things being attributed to his reign as CEO were in the works before he even came into play. Whether or not he was "the one" who got them actually into fruition, is beyond me(and as far as I know, beyond most other residents as well). I can't know with any certainty. But I have serious doubts that he was instrumental in any of that coming into play. The fact that it happens during someone's reign, doesn't make them responsible(people don't want folks holding him responsible for the crap that happens, but they sure are first in line to hold him responsible for the good..it's a two-way street, imo)

I can attribute the things he did, himself, right(or wrong) as it were. But I will never attribute this company's failings, or successes, to who is at the helm, entirely. At least not as long as there are folks actually laying the groundwork, doing the actual work, and likely taking way more criticism directly than any CEO ever will. Hell even the live help and phone techs get more crap on a daily basis. And it's very widely known they have little to no working knowledge of sl, beyond their scripts.

CEOs can be of importance for some companies, but I don't think LL is one of them. I think they need an actual board that is comprised of not only people who WANT to see sl success(not ll, but sl, there is a huge difference) but also have a good working knowledge of the platform, the people using it and the potential future audience. Until ll gets that into place for sl, they're going to keep failing more than succeeding.

I do give credit where due, but more often than not those in charge get way more credit than they're due(good, or bad). I suppose it's par for the course when you're a CEO.

I do doubt he ever had intentions of making, or seeing sl, in and of itself, get better, or even grow. He wanted ll to advance, sure. He wanted ll to succeed, sure. But sl, as a whole? I have my doubts.(truth be told I've had them since the beginning and, thus far, no one has done anything that gives me reason to get rid of those doubts). I think his motivation was entirely in the wrong place. Wanting a company to do better doesn't do this platform any amount of good, if you don't also want the platform to expand, grow, etc...

He may have done good, but as far as I am concerned most of the good he did do-that I'd actually attribute to him alone-isn't something most residents will ever see. So he posted on other forums, even allowed people to post to him on his feed. Those were good things. But did most of sl know about them? Nope-and they never will. Did he come into sl and chat on a regular basis with us peon residents? Nope. Did he have a working knowledge of sl, the trials and tribulations, what many of us residents do on a daily basis within sl? I'm not too sure he did. Did he make himself known to the grid as a whole? Nope. A platform like sl, if they are going to have "someone in charge" needs to have someone in place who does all of that...and more. Not just delegating-assuming he even did that since we can't possibly actually know.

All in all I wish him well. I won't say he was a terrible CEO, but I certainly wouldn't call him a good one, either.

Tari Landar wrote:

I do doubt he ever had intentions of making, or seeing sl, in and of itself, get better, or even grow. He wanted ll to advance, sure. He wanted ll to succeed, sure. But sl, as a whole? I have my doubts.(truth be told I've had them since the beginning and, thus far, no one has done anything that gives me reason to get rid of those doubts).
I think his motivation was entirely in the wrong place.
Wanting a company to do better doesn't do this platform any amount of good, if you don't also want the platform to expand, grow, etc...

(Bolding mine)

This was my initial thought when I first read this article (that I have linked to at various times in the forums) and his actions or non-actions only deepened that initial opinion.  This part of the interview with Rod always gave me a negative impression of Rod re: his interest in SL:

“When I was thinking about leaving EA,” said Humble during a recent meeting. “I was going to do my own company, and it was going to be around creative spaces--games that emphasize creativity tools more. When the opportunity came up and Linden Lab got in touch...first of all, Second Life? Is that still around? [laughs] I looked, and it was really, really healthy. Also, it was a company that was ready made to do a whole bunch of other products, which I wanted to do.”

Rod states that he wanted to have his own company around the type of products/"creative spaces" that LL has released since Rod became the CEO aka Patterns, etc.  When he was offered the CEO position at LL, (1) he didn't realize SL was still around (strike 1, especially for someone working within the genre of internet entertainment, to use an all-encompassing word for virtual worlds, MMORPGs, etc.), then he checked it out and saw that, imo, he could join LL and do the things he wanted without the risk/start up capital for a new company (strike 2 - using LL/SL for his own motives).

We should have known from day one where this was going in hindsight, and I know you mentioned that interview early on. The difference between Kingdon and Humble is that Kingdon approached LL for the job, while in Rods case, it was LL that recruited him.

LL must have agreed to his terms before he was hired that he wanted to develop other products. I can see why they would have agreed to the deal, it sounds good to expand. They should have looked at the tiny sample games he built on his own first ... they were indicators of well, not much. His position and work with EA were impressive enough to overshadow that.

Or perhaps they should have pressed him harder on exactly what types of products he'd build and then grill him on the viability of those the way a venture capital firm would have. Those products might have been worth something as Kickstarter funding but they weren't at all on the level of SL. Of course everyone was hot for mobile apps at the time, so you can still see the appeal to LL, I suppose.

Agree with you on the lack of respect he showed the job. I heard a rumor from somewhere that he had to focus on SL only for his first year, which he did by talking to the community and showing he was "one of us". That pretty much lines up with his starting to pull back from communications when the first other products started.

Hopefully LL has learned a valuable lesson. Hire someone and don't negotiate on the products or broad changes in direction. Must focus on the primary product like you really mean it.

Tari Landar wrote:

<snip>

CEOs can be of importance for some companies, but I don't think LL is one of them. I think they need an actual board that is comprised of not only people who WANT to see sl success(not ll, but sl, there is a huge difference) but also have a good working knowledge of the platform, the people using it and the potential future audience. Until ll gets that into place for sl, they're going to keep failing more than succeeding.

</snip>

You may be right that a CEO is not needed.  And CEO's can be quite exspensive to employ.  ;)

But there does need to be someone or someones steering the ship.

And in the case of SL, I don't see how they can really obtain a good working knowledge of th eplatform and especially th epeople who use it without being involved In World in some manner.

(Just tagging onto your post, Perrie; this post is a general one, not directed at anyone.)

I find it interesting that there are more people voicing how much they liked Rod as CEO of LL over on General and in "the other" SL forum vs the sentiments here in Merchants.  There are less responses here but even on General most of the people who were not happy with Rod are merchants.

Who better to offer the most accurate analysis of a CEO than the business folk of SL?

That would be Merchants and perhaps Land Barons who are like Merchants without so much ethics and the need to work so hard.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I find it interesting that there are more people voicing how much they liked Rod as CEO of LL over on General and in "the other" SL forum vs the sentiments here in Merchants.  There are less responses here but even on General most of the people who were not happy with Rod are merchants.

I choose to "like" someone by the way they make me feel. 

Has he been a great leader?  Are we making more money?  Is performance up?  Concurrency?  Project finished?

Direct Delivery phase 1 (nope), Direct Delivery phase 2 (seems abandoned to me), Corporate image improved (nope), Fitted mesh (probably the single most important issue for most residents) - ridiculously delayed.

Now I know these aren't all direct touch for a CEO but in terms of visibility and leading change and improvement, I can't say that i've seen it or Rod being the champion of any of it and that's my point, "Rod who?"

Rod has been invisible so in terms of how he makes me feel, my earlier response sums it up completely.

People who don't pay close attention to Marketplace developments -- or lack of them -- are going to have a more positive opinion of Rod.  I think some good things happened on his watch, whether he was responsible or not -- but the Marketplace has been a huge oozing sore for years now, and progress towards fixes and features has been glacially slow.  Even the simplest improvements we suggest just get ignored.

I also find it beyond apalling that LL turns a blind eye to the scammers and thieves in the MP. Even when LL does a few takedowns here and there, the accounts dont get cancelled, or alts just open a new store.  There are now widely known ripper and scam stores that are using the original creators' graphics and logos on their ads, with no attempt to conceal their origins. 

Does this mean that SL will become a direct Democracy or will they just replace him with someone with nothing more than a business degree who's even more conservative and less innovative then he was?:smileymad:

There's a rumour that Melinda Gates will be the next CEO. She does satisfy Spica's criteria expressed a couple of posts above, and what is more, she was the project manager for Microsoft's biggest ever fail, "Bob".

She was recently quoted as saying that she is particularly dedicated to empowering women and girls, which in turn benefits the health and prosperity of entire communities - with no explanation of the unsubstantiated emotional reasoning embodied in "which in turn".

So it will be made compulsory to dance in SL on 14 February.

And she will relocate LL from San Francisco to South Sudan, employing locals in key positions, thereby immediately improving the Big Three Ms of management, marketing and moderation.

I, for one, welcome our new overlord.

© The Judge

jujmental wrote:

There's a rumour that Melinda Gates will be the next CEO. She does satisfy Spica's criteria expressed a couple of posts above, and what is more, she was the project manager for Microsoft's biggest ever fail, "Bob".

© The Judge

I liked Microsoft Bob. He made me laugh!  It's that damned paper clip I hate.

jujmental wrote:

And she will relocate LL from San Francisco to South Sudan, employing locals in key positions, thereby immediately improving the Big Three Ms of management, marketing and moderation.

© The Judge

Did you mean to say Nigeria?  Marketing seems to be their huge expertise.