SIM border crossings

Dora Gustafson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SIM border crossing has become a disaster:(
I tried my glider again for the first time in two years
The glider hasn't changed and back then the crossing was fair but not good
Now the pilot is reseated to default sit at the first crossing and velocity and rotation are badly interrupted

How many server updates have we seen that were supposed to improve SIM crossing?
Obviously things has just grown worse
Maybe its time that someone realize that SIM crossing is a bad idea and no longer allow vehicles to cross SIM borders

I just had to say it

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

Yes, they're worse. The new physic engine broke them. We stayed 2 or 3 months with no possibility to cross a few sims safely with vehicles. Finally they patched them, and things went back almost to normal, except, and it's not a detail, for thousands of old vehicles (that includes excelllent ones wich will never be updated), wich still can't cross more than a few ones before to become absolutely crazy, or to fall like a stone.

I think that it's almost impossible for LL to suppress the crossings, without coding again SL from a blank page.

However, I joined SL in 2007 ; Although the visual aspect of SL and other things were improved, one thing never changed : the size of a sim.
 For me, it's the way, the easiest one to provide a great improvement to all vehicles users, and they wouldn't be the only ones to get some benefit from that.

Meshes permit to build very larger vehicles, some of them are the size of an actual sim.

Sometimes they really are a piece of artwork, but I won't buy something wich will be hard to use, because of the lack of space.

As an aircrafts user, I take advantage of it to put the finger on the fact that a maximum 256 meters runway (without a bad crossing) has nothing realistic.

Keep in mind that bigger sims mean less crossings to travel the same distance.

Moreover, a  512m*512m sim for example, would provide a space large enough to have fun, whitout looking like a goldfish.

So, more SL users would be inclined to buy or to rent sims.

I speak probably in the desert, even if it is obvious that to survive, a virtual universe constantly has to offer a better experience of gaming.

P.S. : A preview window, to render an object wich is inside the inventory, without to be forced to rezz it, would be interesting.

Dora Gustafson wrote:

SIM border crossing has become a disaster:(

I tried my glider again for the first time in two years

The glider hasn't changed and back then the crossing was fair but not good

Now the pilot is reseated to default sit at the first crossing and velocity and rotation are badly interrupted

Now I can spread a little more light on where the problems lie

The problem that sets the animation to default on sim crossing, lies with LlSetAnimationOverride

Stopping an animation override using this function solves the problem with resetting to default sit

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

As a sailor and biker, who often does insanely long trips I find sim crossings have improved drastically over the last couple years. What was  a sure death in 2009 is nothing but a little hump in the road nowadays. Still one has to be careful to not cross borders in corners and also always always always take your hands off the keyboard during a crossing.

We are talking about a very different sport Dora.

Faster and older vehicles than most popular sailboats.

With a recently scripted boat, under 30 kts, crossings are most of the time pretty acceptable.

Aircrafts are really faster, and a lot of ones made 1-5 years ago are still in use.

Trust me, with some of them, crossings are another story.
The changes during the year 2013, made them almost unable to cross more than a few sims before to encounter heavy problems.

Some builders have been able to update their creations, unfortunately tons of others never will be...

• 6 months later...

As someone who attempts to use the extensive road network in SL and who is also an experieinced and enthusiastic user of the OpenSimulatior platform I have noticed a somewhat ironic paradox.  In SL there are sone truly wonderfully built vehicles that are often really well scripted (though often far too fast and that have steering that is either too sensitive, or not sensitve enough) and that will run smoothly for...256 metres at most before ebcountering a sim crossing where all sorts of nasty things start to happen. At best, it might be a slight glitch as the crossing is made, but all too often it's a complete fail and yuo have to wait whilst the server sorts itself out if you're lucky, or relog and start again if you'te not.

As I said, I am also an enthusiastic user of the OpenSimulator platform. as I have my oven server machine that hosts all of my various regions, some of which are configured as megaregions, (which will eventually be upgraded to varrregions) which is a viewrer hack/sever setting that magically does away with region crossings allowing vehicles/boats/planes to pass over without any bad effects - it's great! Sadly., there are not many decent vehicles available in OpenSimulator as yet, and the change to varregions (variable sized regions) has also meant a change of physics engine to BulltetSim from ODE which has in many cases rendered the older vehicle scripts unstable/inoperable, but this will change  as things progrress. (I believe that if is possble to tweak scripts to make then work better, but I am no scripter). Megaregons/Varregions are great for vehicle operation, as can be seen in this video made on a 25 region megaregion

Obviously things are different in SL in the way that regions are set up into 'continents' but surely it is not beyond the wit of the LL technicians to ensure that region crossings are smotth and uneventful?

I very much doubt there will be significant further improvements in SL sim crossings unless / until SL2 fails.

[Edit: Well... unless SL2 shards similarly to SL, with similar geo-crossing problems, in which case they may test out fixes in SL1 before deploying them to SL2. Maybe.]

Qie Niangao wrote:

I very much doubt there will be significant further improvements in SL sim crossings unless / until SL2 fails.

[Edit: Well... unless SL2 shards similarly to SL, with similar geo-crossing problems, in which case they may test out fixes in SL1 before deploying them to SL2. Maybe.]

Well doesn't it all come down to two things really?  The seamless hand off of data from one Simulator to another and the efficient communication of that data between the Server and the Client? 

The more Data involved the more likely it is that things will get boinked?

I see it regularly when sailing with friends.  When we cross SIMs their Ava's poof for a moment until the new SIM recognises their presence and sends that info to me and my client handles it all.

No matter what you do with the Server architecture you still need to move that data and communicate it.

ETA, Isn't the reason why crossing at SIM corners can be the roughest is because you have not just two but FOUR SIMs involved in the transaction?

Second ETA.  I bet we will see some things intended for the new platform tested on us.  Where else would LL be able to test on a large scale.  We can only hope that it improves the experience for us.  And while I am looking forward to seeing what LL does with the new platform, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of being used as a guinea pig for it.

Although we've expected them for years, the scripted Experiences now being beta-tested are, I suspect, really more intended for SL2 than SL1 at this point.

(I'm having fun with my paltry little Experiences project and all, but to do something really ambitious, frankly, I find difficult to drum up the enthusiasm, knowing the days of SL1 are more than abstractly numbered. Even though I'm pretty confident that some of the Experiences philosophy will survive into SL2, all the details of how scripters use them are surely soon to be obsolete. I mean, it would be kind of pointless to craft an interactive narrative engine in LSL -- as I'd had in the back of my mind originally -- now that we know LSL is doomed if SL2 succeeds.)

As to the specifics of SL2 and sim-crossing, those will most likely be quite similar to SL1 and OpenSim (yeah, there are some differences in the details between SL and OpenSim, but it's more stylistic than substantial, as is almost necessarily the case, given OpenSim's constrained objectives). "Most likely" but not quite necessarily. One can dream-up different ways to distribute processing, such as spatial interactions that regularly involve cross-shard communications, rather than the SL approach in which spatial simulation is mostly local processing until a heavy, disruptive hand-off between shards.

• 5 months later...

I think something's wrong lately, it usually real fine for me to do boating from my home to the Blake Sea. Now i can't cross more than 4 sims without ending in some void. I use the same well made low script boat, with with minimum attachments set for sailing, i test my internet connection and cant find anything wrong with it. So it's the same boat, same attachment, and relatively same internet connection with awful results in sim crossing. Until a few days ago me and most of my friends list experiencing a hard time to log in, and some weird happenstance with objects and attachments when we finally got inworld, and now this..

• 1 month later...

I and many others whom I know have been having massive issues with simcrossings in the past week. It's like something went haywire!

We can't cross with vehicles (except for rare circumstances) and crossing while on foot might put you against the far side of the sim you're walking into.

This is unacceptable . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.