Rod Humble leaving Linden Lab

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140205006170/en/Ebbe-Altberg-Joins-Linden-Lab-CEO

Ebbe Altberg Joins Linden Lab as CEO

February 05, 2014 12:35 PM Eastern Standard Time

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Linden Lab®, the makers of Second Life®, BlocksworldTM, DesuraTM, and more, today announced that Ebbe Altberg will lead the company as its new Chief Executive Officer.

Most recently prior to joining Linden Lab, Altberg was COO of BranchOut. Prior to that, he was part of the executive team at Yahoo!, most recently as SVP of Media Products. His more than 25 years of experience managing teams that create world-class products and services also includes leadership roles at Ingenio (acquired by at&t Interactive) and Microsoft.

“We remain committed to world-changing innovation from Linden Lab,” said Jed Smith of the company’s Board of Directors. “We’re keenly focused on providing incredible experiences for all of our customers, and Ebbe is the perfect person to help lead our team as we continue to serve and grow our global audience of active users."

“Linden Lab has long been at the forefront of building experiences that entertain people while empowering them to express themselves and profit from their creations,” said Altberg. “Our customers' creativity is unparalleled, and I’m proud to join the talented team that serves them. Second Life is now in its eleventh year, and every day, users continue to create more and more amazing experiences to enjoy. Though much younger, Blocksworld has already seen hundreds of thousands of unique user-created worlds shared for everyone to play with. I'm absolutely committed to supporting our customers and helping them become even more successful. There are significant opportunities ahead, and I look forward to leading us into the next phase of growth.”

Never heard of him nor do I know what makes him qualified for the position... though I sure would like to, if anyone cares to enlighten me.

...Dres

ETA: Yep... I was too slow... lol.  A marketer, huh?

Jo Yardley wrote:

My blog on the matter, with some extra info I found on his linkedIn profile.

I do hope this line from the last person you quoted is accurate... "He is a natural leader and is able to rally everyone around him in working towards making the customer happy."

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

jujmental wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Is "Ebbe" his screen name or user name? 

His real name - he's Swedish.

Another ******* ESLer as my friends Rudi and Pep might combine to say.

© The Judge

Let's hope his communication skills are up to par.

...Dres

Maybe he's actually MrZVZ from this post . . .

© The Judge

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

jujmental wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Is "Ebbe" his screen name or user name? 

His real name - he's Swedish.

Another ******* ESLer as my friends Rudi and Pep might combine to say.

© The Judge

Let's hope his communication skills
are up to par

...Dres

That about sums up my expectation of a new CEO -- can he golf to par?  Foursome Ebbe? 

Jo Yardley wrote:

Let's hope his communication skills are up to par.

...Dres

So far, so good.

Jo, he hasn't said anything.

Press Releases are written by the Marketing Department.

Although I was interested to see that they fell into the trap of admitting that LL produces games.

Amateurs!

© The Judge

Jo Yardley wrote:

He is communicating with users on Twitter.

I know, should use the official website for communication and SL forum and such, but at least he is talking.

Next thing you know he'll be insisting we post on his wall.

You know, that social platform that doesn't allow avatar accounts.

Not communicating via an LL channel starts him off with a black mark in my book.

© The Judge

Jo Yardley wrote:

He is communicating with users on Twitter.

I know, should use the official website for communication and SL forum and such, but at least he is talking.

So did Rod - at first and look how that went.  It remains to be seen if he will be still talking a month from now.  And Twitter? really?  That's a bad sign in my book. 

(hung my reply off yours, Heart .. but this is a general response meant for all)

Second Life is a complex, deep, intricate, vast, amazing platform. It has literally thousands of nooks and crannies for people to explore, exploit, examine and enjoy. Even those of us with a few years on our Avi know that there is way more here than we could ever hope to comprehend or even encounter in a single human lifetime.

IMO: The new CEO should be communicating with us in a manner that exemplifies his/her understanding of that depth and complexity. Twitter is good for firing off 140 character or smaller brain-f*rts but is not in any way capable of demonstrating that one is aware of how deep and involved this Virtual World is .. and should be.

Too many people floating near the top of the Linden Lab Org Chart grant SL enough brain time to allow them grasp of one facet: Game play, role play, community, merchandising, etc. etc. But none of them ever seem willing or able to accept the truth that SL is a giant real-world example of Infinity.

Honest Ebbe, you don't need to count every atom in the Metaverse to comprehend its size or complexity. But you DO need to approach it with your eyes open, your arms open .. and embracing the larger audience from the very first day.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.