Learning on Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I'm an undergraduate student of Education and I am also new to Second Life. For my research, I would like to look into the learning potential behind Second Life from people's experiences within the professional, academic, informal or formal learning contexts. 

I would be really grateful if people could share their experiences with me as well as future educational ideas and projects. What subjects or areas of study can Virtual Learning Environments effectively deliver? Should the environment be decorative or would that distract the learner from the educational material available? Your opinions on any matter concerning the creation and purpose of a learning environment will also be very much welcome.

Thank you for your time 

Mummy, there are a great many educators in SL, some of them doing, I think, really interesting things. But you actually won't find very many of them here.

There is a mailing list which you should be able to join, however, here:

https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators

You can connect with many SL teachers there and, I'm sure, ask questions.

Good luck!

One of my main motivation to sign up and became a premium member on day two (yesterday) is to connect with others who are also interested to use SL for educational purposes. To address your question about ideas and projects, I invite you to connect with me on SL and see if we can collaborate on the topic of communication. I happened to have extensive resources compiled on this topic but many of the exercise calls for a partner (or partners). IN RL I had no luck finding people to do drills with. Now I am looking for others in SL if that environment is more conducive.

Whatever educational outfit you are with, the chances are all you got is a pre-canned course on communication. It has its benefits but I’d be interested to see if you work with me and we apply the communication course topics in SL, how would that help our learning curve and topic retention?

So, if you are interested to get into action, find me on SL and see what we can do. At least I won’t be intimidating since I am very new here on SL also. I have no advanced look and my moves are clumsy … but I do have a great deal materials I collected over the years about many topics and communication is as good starting point as any.

Z

MrZVZ on SL.

PS: Don't be put off by my ESL. ;-) Learn to read the intent while I am learning my way through the massy business of US English Grammar.

MrZVZ wrote:

MrZVZ on SL.

PS: Don't be put off by my ESL. ;-) Learn to read the intent while I am learning my way through the massy [sic] business of US English Grammar.

I would suggest that you take your request to whatever foreign language subforum suits your actual mother tongue, as any initiative you might wish to instigate regarding "advanced" communication would be rendered risible by your inadequacies in English.

"Learn to read the intent" indeed. You need to learn to write cogent English!

© The Judge

• 5 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.