is it OK to post logs with out consent to a public forum? Such as a web site.

Vodou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was wondering if it was OK to post instant messages collected from sl to a public web site. Yes that is what I was asking because I have found a site that is posting logs. I would know how they would feel seeing as my logs are in there with out  consent. hence my  question.

Shold LL be made aware of such a site since it is using sl avatars and posting private messages?

I guess then as long as it is done some other way other then SL sharing  apparently seems to be ok. I guess there are loop holes in everything ;(

11 answers to this question

How would you feel if someone published something you had told them in a private conversation?

Private conversations are meant to be just that. As per Terms of Service: Community Standards, and you risk losing your ability to access Second Life if you breach any of the Terms of Service.

https://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

4.   Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed.  Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

• Like 1

To add to Marigold's answer...

All Second Life Community Standards apply to all areas of Second Life, the Second Life Forums, and the Second Life Website.

That means that such IMs cannot be posted on LL properties.

LL will not - indeed, they cannot - police the entire internet to make sure nobody leaks an IM from within SL.

Perhaps this is the answer you're seeking:

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

NOTE: This does not include posting of chat to social media sites or other websites. Posting such logs on web pages, emailing them, or printing them out and posting them on utility poles in the "real world" -- are all actions beyond the scope of the Second Life Terms of Service. ; while that might be illegal, but those laws must be enforced by the proper law enforcement agencies.

ETA: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Residents%27_privacy_rights#Disclosing_private_Second_Life_conversations

Some sites will have rules concerning dissemination of RL info. For instance, on Twitter one cannot "publish or post other people's private and confidential information, such as credit card numbers, street address or Social Security/National Identity numbers, without their express authorization and permission."

It's unlikely any will act on complaints about text recorded in a "game".

Sharing chat logs only applies to second life inworld or to any website they own or manage. So could you post an IM in group chat or a notice? NO and I have seen people get banned for doing this. Even Sharing them with another person and someone files a complaint you can get in trouble. Same goes for posting it the SL forums or blogs. Not sure if you would get banned for that or if they would just delete it though.

What you CAN do is share any conversations or logs anywhere else on the internet as long as that site does not forbid it. So if its  a forum not ran by LL, facebook or your own blog you can post anything you want. LL has no jurisdiction.

So if you are seeing chat logs on someones private site there really isn't much you can do other than ask them politely to remove it.

Oh, and those disclaimers people put in their profiles that say "warning, by contacting me you agree to having your chat logged and shared with others" means nothing. You can not violate the TOS by putting a message in your profile. You would have to tell someone that each and everytime you spoke to them and they would still have to give you consent.

Also the part about remote monitoring local chat. It is actually legal if its posted so everyone knows you are doing it. Its doing it without others knowing that is a violation. So if you remote monitor your store all you have to do is put up some signs that clearly state your doing it. LIke "warning, this store is remotely monitored and local chat will be logged and stored.".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.