how to modify an existing mesh object

CleoSertorii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, i was wondering how to import a basic mesh object (not clothes or anything complicated) FROM my SL inventory TO Blender. Basically i want to know how to take a moddifiable mesh item, move it to Blender, make the changes i want, and export it back into my inventory. I have looked all over and can't seem to find specific instructions on how to do this. I have Blender 2.69. Any help would really be appreciated

Thanks,

Cleo :)

If it is YOUR mesh item (one that you uploaded and hopefully made yourself :D) you can use the Singularity viewer  (and I hear the new Firetorm beta too perhaps - haven't updated). You can export from SL or another OS platform and get a dae or obj. From there you should be able to modify within Blender. I haven't tried modifying but the export and import works well.

My Op Ed blog post last week was on this and can give you more details should you want to venture over. http://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2014/01/faux-mesh-and-import-export.html

Scroll down below the stars for the techie stuff.

If this is a full perm mesh item you purchased, there is no legal way to export. It is unlikely you have the rights to modify the dae unless you purchased the dae  -- and in that case you wouldn't need to get it - LOL.

Anyway, that's the skinny. It does work well on your own stuff if you have misplaced (or lost amidst a myriad of files) the CORRECT dae. I am a messy modeler I guess. I have way too many files and usually sort by last date and that gets me what I want. Sometimes though it doesn't. In that case the exporter is a lifesaver.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Tip, Chic.  I completely missed this feature.

At first glance I thought this was a pretty useless feature since everything I make is filed on my hard-drive and backed up, but with more consideration I realize it's a nice way to collaborate with others on a project without having to go back and forth via email and/or dropbox if you prefer to keep things completely in SL.

Also it can be useful to build to the scale you want in SL.  A "template" of the general shape and height of the building can be quickly put together with prims and exported back into  one's modeling program without relying on (eeeek!) actual numerical measurements.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.