Confusing second life with real life....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went shopping today to try and find some furniture - in one of my favourite shops I was walking through trying to find the right section when I passed a display of kitchen stools and my immediate reaction and thought was "Oh great, stools, I need one for the kitchen" - and actually stopped to go look and buy one,  for my real world kitchen!  I then remembered that wasn't possible....:matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

I haven't been even spending loads of time in SL recently - if I had I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe I've just been a resident of SL for  too long!

I think everyone that is a long term resident has those moments.  If not the kind you had, others such as wanting to click on a stranger to see their profile, thinking i'll just fly up rather than take the stairs, looking around for a tp etc.  Its not surprising as studies have shown that virtual stimulus and real stimulus register in the brain the same way.

As long as you don't forget your in RL and actually try to fly off something its all good.

It's real life. Out with the Oscar, the dog, the other morning we wandered past a large, five bar style, tubular metal farm gate. Familiar gate, part of our usual route. Some piece of farm machinery had obviously caught the gate and it had twisted slightly with a big kink in the middle. My initial thought (muttered out loud) was, "Oh, that gate hasn't rezzed properly!".

I didn't look but I could feel Oscar sigh and roll his eyes…

I poked a poster in Next and wondered where the Pay option had gone...

Figured the script must have glitched or something, poked again....

Realised how silly I must have looked when the store assistant asked if I needed any help, a freaked out look on her face......

I really wanted that Shape.....

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I think everyone that is a long term resident has those moments.  If not the kind you had, others such as wanting to click on a stranger to see their profile, thinking i'll just fly up rather than take the stairs, looking around for a tp etc.  Its not surprising as studies have shown that virtual stimulus and real stimulus register in the brain the same way.

As long as you don't forget your in RL and actually try to fly off something its all good.

I don't have experiences like those mentioned here so far, but I do have memories of things that happened in SL which are triggered by things that happen in RL. As I get older, I expect the distinctions between RL and SL memories to blur, as each recollection of an SL memory will cause a re-write with just a hint more RL added.

When I'm socializing in RL, I find myself recalling experiences I had in SL and must bite my tongue to avoid saying things like "Oh, Paris is lovely at night, I remember sitting on the light at the top of the Eiffel Tower." I did visit Paris and the tower in 1993, but my recollection of the SL Eiffel Tower is as vivid, I suspect because of my traveling companion.

I fully expect that, in my dotage, my recollection errors will leak out and those around me will wonder what the hell I'm talking about.

;-)

You´re not alone with the latter at least, and it´s slightly worrying in my case, cause I put my main char´s ao together carefully to visually depict his somewhat deranged mind, so I have to hope it´s only me catching myself and nobody else ;)

Yes. I think this is why real world stores may switch to using virtual world like showrooms that mimic a real world store. I mean, even the latest pop up store craze may work with this because if people notice the brand they might remember they want to see something and remember details about the product if the store matches the virtual one they saw.

Of course, all we need is a scientific study to prove it and consultants to take it up, then a guy writes a book about it because he is a "guru" and it all becomes part of a craze. Then some start to hate it, others modify or change the idea and repackage it and sell it. Experts, interior designers and all that jump on board and companies are bombarded with ads for V2R world stores.

Then again, maybe not lol.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I've wondered how many prims were in furnishings when I've been out shopping RL.  :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

I used to do that back when most things in SL were made of ordinary prims. Since the advent of mesh I don't do it any more I just look at the RL furniture and think "Oh, mesh".

Once I was walking past a high (about 9ft) brick wall when I heard an odd noise coming from the other side. I stopped and did that little "pre-jump" thing, intending to fly up so I could look over the wall and see what it was. Duh.

And I try to alt-cam Youtube videos all. the. time.

Casidy Craig wrote:

Once I was walking past a high (about 9ft) brick wall when I heard an odd noise coming from the other side. I stopped and did that little "pre-jump" thing, intending to fly up so I could look over the wall and see what it was. Duh.

*Wipes water off the monitor*

I had an experience in RL a tiny bit like that, without the pre-jumping though...*grins*.  I was walking through a parking lot and heard that high heel click-click sound behind me and thought, "I wish people would turn off that sound; it is annoying and especially silly when walking on sand or snow (I've actually seen that in SL)."  As I was thinking this, the woman with the clicking heels passed me and as I turned to look at her "avatar" it dawned on me..."Oh right!  This is RL; high heels DO make that sound on pavement."  I did a mental facepalm.

Edit: grammar

When I was playing second life intensively but still new, I had the tendency to want to right click on real persons to get their profile. I still look at buildings in real life and wonder how to reproduce them is SL but it is not confusing. Once when looking at two RL walls, one from a main building and one from an extension that was recently added, I thought "this creator did a really a sloppy job, those textures are not aligned".

On mondays, when I drag myself to work for another week, I really miss to be able to teleport  instead of using the subway.  Come to think of it, on mondays I would like to log into RL with an alt and play some pranks at the office.

I have used the word 'lol' in real conversation...

What does frustrate me more is attempts to mimic RL in SL....why have a kitchen and bathroom? why have a laundry? why search for the most realistic room furnishings?  This is a Second, aspirational Life.....sleep in fire, dance on water....Ban RL from SL and live in a true fantasy world.

Yes many of us look at things in RL and wonder how we can make it in SL.

Try selling anything 'off the wall' then realise players really want to reproduce RL.

'your world, your imagination' may be old hat now but seemingly imagination is narrow.

I bought a sailing boat.

• It has a bed to sleep on even though the avatar never really needs to sleep
• It has toilet even though the avatar never really needs the urge to use it
• It has tiny kitchen corner to prepare fake food what the avatar can never eat
• In the kitchen corner there is also a sink where to wash the dishes even though the dishes never get dirty
• There is a laptop on the side table even though the avatar does not know how to use it

shrug-1.gif

Something more:

Somebody made additional utensils for the boat. Like a frying pan and a spatula - using those the avatar can prepare fake food. Naturally there is proper cooking animation included. There is also a brush for washing the dishes. And naturally with proper dish washing animation.

Once I stopped on a small island. My RL dinner time was at hand. Then I remembered the boat kitchen things. Ok I thought 'lets do the whole act'. :matte-motes-big-grin:
I let my avatar fry some eggs (this raised some surprises and giggles from those who saw it). When the eggs were virtually ready, I placed the avatar on the deck, gave eggs, bread and drink. Then I went to have my RL dinner leaving the avatar to munch her own one on the boat deck. After I returned I let the avatar wash the dishes. Then back to sailing - real stomach and virtual stomach filled with delicious food.

:smileysurprised:  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileytongue:

I've wondered about that myself too, and even caught myself doing it the other day : I wanted to put another bench in my park and had previously bought real life style, then I thought why do I need to do that? It doesn't have to be exactly like real life.

I suppose people like what's familiar, and sometimes may use second life to recreate the real life, or parts of it,  they would like to have but can't for whatever reason.

Every now and then a music track will play while I'm out and about in real life and I have a memory triggered of when I did something in Second Life a few years ago and it will seem so 3D and real, like it happened in real life.

Then I remember I have never in real life danced erotically in a large champagne glass.

Back in about 2009 I saw a guy in RL who looked exactly like the freebie "Cory" skin that was doing the rounds at the time (the one that was available from Sarah Nerd's, with the round tattoo on the stomach). I totally wanted to tell him to buy a better skin, everyone could tell it was a freebie.

Coby Foden wrote:

• There is a laptop on the side table even though the avatar does not know how to use it

shrug-1.gif

In my SL house I have a laptop, for which I mocked up a texture; a screenshot of the SL viewer with a RL photograph in it, and the view of the back of a man's head.  My SL avatar plays RL in his spare time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.