Default viewer issue: Chat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dunno why, not a technician, just a housewife. But I guess it's that terribly bloated and cumbersome new chat thingamajing of the LL viewer. Maybe it's time for you to join the dark side, we have candy for you. :matte-motes-evil: But, really, no **bleep**, check out Firestorm and Singularity, the two most widely used TPVs. You'll have a better framerate in all circumstances anyway.

It happens when you're using the CHUI - the bloated, nonsensical update to the Chat system that LL released late last year (as Orca noticed).

You can swap the Chat mode (in preferences) between Compact and... Expanded (I think).

Expanded will destroy your FPS. Compact is (comparatively) better. The names for these settings might vary but it should be in Preferences > Chat. Or if there's a 'Gear' button on the CHUI interface, or something. Switch to compact and this issue will be as resolved as it can possibly be.

*shrug*

I consider that a waste of time if the issue can be identified in a single post. I prefer to leave the bug-chasing hassle to the LL drones. A minority of users know how to find their viewer version information, and almost none know to post it in their OP. NMP.

Odds are the OP never comes back to look anyway - and anyone else suffering this issue can resolve it immediately using either a viewer change or a settings change.

Cincia Singh wrote:

Before recommending a viewer change it might be a good idea to ask what viewer and which version someone is using. I'm using the current LL viewer and Firestorm and neither suffers an fps drop when I open chat.

Then you're doing it wrong. Open the Statistics Bar and the Conversations window, then toggle between Compact and Expanded views, watching the framerate. Mine drops from 110 to 70 FPS instantly and completely reliably. The effect is even more dramatic with deeper chat history.

Granted, I'm using a Release Candidate viewer -- the interest list one -- but this problem has existed since at least 3.6.9, with no apparent progress toward a fix.

Yes, I know nobody can see that bug report. And as a result, there have been at least a half-dozen duplicates entered into the jira, wasting everybody's time. This one is "resolved" as having been imported to MAINT-3375 -- which even fewer people can see. Useless. Completely and shamefully useless.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Yes, I know nobody can see that bug report. And as a result, there have been at least a half-dozen duplicates entered into the jira, wasting everybody's time. This one is "resolved" as having been imported to
 -- which even fewer people can see. Useless. Completely and shamefully useless.

Yeah. I wonder what harm Linden Lab sees in it if everybody could just VIEW (without commenting rights) all the bug reports? Those were very good source of information back when we could see them all. Crazy secrecy policy!

SL-JIRA -permission violation.jpg

R o d v i k !  :smileyfrustrated:

Coby Foden wrote:

Yeah. I wonder what harm Linden Lab sees in it if everybody could just VIEW (without commenting rights) all the bug reports?

It encourages a kind of 'unionism' where LL is forced to act against the interests of residents. By seeing the JIRA reports, the JIRA became politicised and this was unworkable from a PR angle. Same deal with the voting/watching issue - LL do not (and never have) assign priority or resources based on the outcry or concern from residents, voting and watching disrupted this dynamic and encouraged it to become an 'us vs. them'.

It never mattered too much in any case of course, since LL's actual development JIRA was never made public - it's also possible that closing the pJIRA (Public JIRA) has made all that nonsensical mirroring redundant enough to have been removed from service.

In short, none of it made sense and making it seem like it made sense did more harm to LL's reputation than they could mitigate by resolving bugs.

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.