Patriot Act Letter from LL?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes. I am as lost about this as..I am.;)

But in second page of form there is: Purpose of this form.Foreign persons are subject to U.S. tax at 30% rate on income they receive...of:

and then list of things which are included to this. SO..not all incomes but only..what?

Anyway I have done first part..sending filled form but then I was again confused. I didnt get any other form to put those additional informations. So I suppose now they are meant to put in to ticket..or how?

Havent got any answers after yesterday to ticket so they maybe bit busy::;)

In instruction there was told:

We are using EchoSign to facilitate the collection of this information. Please use the relevant link below to provide the above-requested information.

Anyway..I can live with this;)

This was poorly executed.

If LL needs vital information like this it should be flagged in the red banner that goes across the dashboard of an account.

Waiting until residents call in looking for late process payments and then dropping this on them is ridiculous. This is the equivalent of having a late payroll check for some people. I have bills to pay and people depending on me. The callous nature of the phone support only adds insult to injury. 

HUGE FAIL on LL part. 

JamieLee Larnia wrote:

This was poorly executed.

If LL needs vital information like this it should be flagged in the red banner that goes across the dashboard of an account.

Waiting until residents call in looking for late process payments and then dropping this on them is ridiculous. This is the equivalent of having a late payroll check for some people. I have bills to pay and people depending on me. The callous nature of the phone support only adds insult to injury. 

HUGE FAIL on LL part. 

I know.. I have pleaded with them to release the credit I had filed with them on the 11th Jan as I got this demand the day that credit was due to be paid to me.

I have completed the forms but if they need photo ID scanning, it's going to take me 3 to 4 weeks because my passport needs my new address updating.

Like you, I have bills to pay and was depending my my payment to pay my bills.

A 30 day notice would and SHOULD have been issued which would not have caused anyone financial issues, bank charges, unpaid direct debits etc.

My credit is now a day late, they have not confirmed the receipt of my form and have not responded to my request to process what was due before they raised this demand.

Their email says they apologies for any inconvenience but its much more than an inconvenience its a potential financial disaster. What if people needed to pay their RL rent and LL are holding their funds due to this "out of the blue" demand?

I do agree and understand their need for the form but to put credits on hold AND give people zero notice is unbelievable.

I called numerous times since yesterday and justafewmomentsagotheyacceptedmyIDscanandutilitybill.

My address was different so I just scanned a utility bill. If you have any utility in your name with the current address they will accept that as well as the photo ID.

I just hope I don't have to wait another 5 business days now for the credit to be processed.  

I love working from home and working in Second Life but the stress of issues like this makes it difficult. 

I hope you are able to get your issue solved quickly.

Just a heads up.

I sent two photos of my utility bills showing my current address but they needed a photo ID too and said even if it's out of date they can then process the credit I have on hold and I can send in the new passport/driving license when I get it.

So at least my experience was they want the form completing, some form of address verification like a bill AND photo ID too!

I am an incorporated C-corp.  I have attached my scanned c-corp W9 and my driver's license to the case.  I got this reponse...

Thank you for responding to our request. We have received and reviewed the information you submitted. On the W9 form, you filled out the information for your company. Although the W9 is a tax form, the purpose of our request is to collect personal information, not tax information, Please fill out a new W9 with your personal information and SSN, and attach it to this support case. If you reach the thresholds set by the IRS for reporting transactions, we will ask you for applicable tax information and provide you with any required forms (like a 1099-K) at the end of the year or beginning of next year.

Well I dont want to send them my SSN number because they will mistakenly file a 1099K on it instead of my C-corp.  Not to mention all the normal concerns about one's SSN.

Specific questions: has anyone (who is an incorporated c-corp) resolved this without giving their personal SSN?    If yes... How?   Who do I call?   etc.

MANY thanks.

I recieved this same email today,wasnt sure if it was legit but it gave a link to secondife.com where it asked for the same info, my process credit is backing up and the longest has been pending for 11 days, I've replied to the email and will scan my ID tonight, ive also opened a ticket about the issue, Im from UK does that mean i will be taxed 30% ?? and is there a minimum have to earn? I expected to be taxed by UK and not USA..

Apparently we will not be taxed, this is only for americans or americans living in other countries not USA right now. If you a re form UK and you never lived in USA you wont be taxed t all. What does SUCK is that we have nothing to do but still they **bleep**ed our money. For me thye have my money since 13th and thye arent releasing it even when i said the info, ID scanned and form complete days ago, I am so angry! I wonder if anyone got their money released yet???? Please let me know

Pamela Galli,

From reading your posts on the forum you are (a) operating as an incorporated (c-corp)  (b) managed to get LL to release your payments.   Did you have to give your personal soc sec number?  or did you get them to accept something else.   Please let me know as I am in the exact same boat.

Many thanks.

hi

Yes I got my money released quite fast (1-2 days)after form sent and also additional info sent to them. And yes, I had understood from form text that we all pay to u.s. but seems that we are not but to our own countries.

Sorry for my poor english, thats why quite a mess to understand that "law"-form;)

Marina, did LL sent you any informations saying that your documents are ok? or your case is like mine,that have no answer after sent the tax form filled up and documente required? my husband sent in 01/21, and till now, his ticket was not aswered even to say if documents and tax form were ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Shiima wrote:

Question. If you didn't use a real (second) name to sign up to SL and cash out - and this happens - are you screwed?

There is no way to change RL second name in account settings (which appears on Account Statement) and I was wary of my privacy when signing up and had no thought about any of this.

I've heard of people claiming to be able to call LL and explain what they did, enabling them to provide the correct information, but I have no personal experience to back up these claims.

...Dres

• 4 months later...

wow this is all a bit confusing .... so im filling in this blasted form because LL have asked me to .. I live in the UK .... can any of you lovely people help me ...... what is an SSN ? i dont think we have those over here .. is there an equivilent does any body know .... any help would be much appreciated 

• 2 years later...

I just found one of these in my inbox.

It comes over very suspicious, and linked to what appears to be a legit forum page with residents praising how service quickly resumed after sending their ID.

I have taken the precaution of changing my password after that.

The Email seems to have arrived from LL via some stop offs on the way.

Any suggestions on who to approach at LL ?

Note that this original post was from 2014 when folks making over -- I think it was $600 in that year -- were required to verify who they were in real life in order to get money transferred out of Second Life.  If you fall into that area , this could be real. Some of us that needed to fill out the form never GOT that email and just got our funds frozen unexpectedly -- worse.    

Probably best to contact billing by phone and see. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2527 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.