Second Life Download Size?

KazSakamoto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I Have Limted Internet Speed Normal speed 11kbs package BOOST SPEED  5gb 200kbs

I Downloaded The SL Viewer and the game was laging  like HELL so i lowered the Opions from mid To low
then the lag went away
but the area was still loading i loooked at the game and it was still downloading ? .. so i guess this game uses Cache

whats the size of this game ? i mean the game if you load every part of this game? what it comes up to 2gb? or 3gb? whats the Game size?? of cache ? cuz i  cant play this game if it keeps takeing my bandwidth  I only have 5gb    bandwidth

May i know the size of this game ?

Sorry my English is Bad.

Uuuum.

The last time I heard any measurement for the total size of Second Life, it weighed in at quite an impressive 4 Petabytes (4,000,000 Gigabytes). It has definitely grown since then.

The trouble is that Second Life is a constantly-downloading world, your computer only ever sees a small part. The average view of 128m might contain 15,000 prims, each with up to 8 faces. Each face can have a texture that weighs in at about 2-3Mb - making it potentially very expensive for your dataplan. Obviously, the more you teleport around, the more 'new' data needs downloading. Avatars are made up from 3 base textures, and any number of additional textures applied to their attachments - some can be very expensive to download.

I typically find that Second Life costs me (a heavy user) approximately 20Gb in download capacity per month.

awwww  So I Guess i cant play Second Life Cuz my max limt of bandwidth is 15gb even so i must pay a 1000.rs In sri lankan money  .. and im not very Rich to keep paying for more SPEED BANDWIDTH....

so i cant play this game...aww to bad

is there any other type of game Like Secound Life? which wont need 20gb ? but lower then 2gb?

KazSakamoto wrote:

is there any other type of game Like Secound Life? which wont need 20gb ? but lower then 2gb?

That's not really how it works I'm afraid.

Any world 'like' Second Life would probably operate in the same way.

You might find some alternatives in 'creative'-style games such as Minecraft or Starbound (they're nothing like Second Life, but you can get a similar 'feel'). Neither has dynamically user generated content like Second Life does, although users can get fairly creative wth the content already supplied.

You could also download your own Opengrid server through a project called 'Sim on a Stick', and run your own region on your local network. This would give you an experience somewhat similar to Second Life (except you'd be alone, and there would be no content - you'd have to build it all yourself) as it stood in 2008. The advantage to this would be that it would cost you no data whatsoever.

Unfortunately, to render a world with dynamic and entirely user generated content, filled with other people (who wear and create further dynamic content), the download costs will always be high.

i cant buy minecraft cuz my country is Regin blocked from   useing Credit card/Phone Etc so i cant use real money on games  i dont know why

so i downloadled mine shafter to play mine craft but after the 1.74 update the mine shafter stoped working  and i tryed finding some other one.. but now all the mutlitplayer servers aint working.. i gave that game up  cuz i cant play single player ALONE

Star Bound i      dont know about that game maybe i will check it out

I used to play Game Goble but that game shut down D: Do you know of any other games like that? without Minecraft?

( or if you can help me Fix my mine craft? server problem)

It totally depends how often you play it.  Your monthly bandwidth allocation is used up by time, not the size of the game. If you play SL for only a couple of hours a week you'll still be fine.  If you play for hours at a time, you'll use it up in a few days.

The more you teleport around to busy places, the more bandwidth you'll use because every time you go somewhere new, more data is streamed to your computer.

If you have voice, music or media turned on you'll use more because you're streaming that too.

Cache and program size uses up your hard-disk space and is nothing to do with bandwidth.

..?So it have nothing to do with my bandwidth? but how come i see my Bandwidth going away while the game is downloading cache of cuz it have something to do with bandwidth how fast my internet is how fast the cache downloads and the faster it downloads my bandwidth is used for the cache downloading after my 5gb is Over my Internet speed from 300kbs Gos down to 11kbs even still it takes bandwidth but then its ok cuz i have infine Gb For my 11kbs..but limted bandwidth of gb for my SPEED BOOST

so i can still play this game...just need to wait 9 hours...for 1 map to load.. @_@.............

and no really there are other games i play and can manage for a month but i guess second life needs faster net to play and more bandwidth

Sorry if i did not understand you correctly 

i

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.