if i see another profile with a stupid marylin monroe quote......

Trip30

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seriously this is the best you can come up with?

"“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

You do realize that she was a drug addict that ended up having affairs with people.  and died due to an overdoese some role model. 

Trip30 wrote:

"“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

You do realize that she was a drug addict that ended up having affairs with people.  and died due to an overdose some role model. 

...and John F. Kennedy was only an ex-navy PT boat commander with a lifetime drug habit because of his injuries from battle in the Pacific Theatre of WW II.

Really Trip, you have all the depth of a ludite. Marylyn Monroe was many things to many people and lost her way and her life after leaving an indelible mark on the nation through her on screen persona.

Life does not fit into the little box you have created for yourself.

Trip30 wrote:

You do realize that she was a drug addict that ended up having affairs with people.  and died due to an overdoese some role model. 

She was also hotter than the surface of the Sun.

There have been a lot of incredibly desirable people who have gotten into movies or television. Someone new every day, it seems. Not many have the sheer whatever-it-was of Marilyn Monroe. You see her on the screen, you stop and watch.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not some kind of Monroe fanatic (they're out there, though). I haven't seen more than about half her movies, but that was enough to show me why she was such an object of desire. Everywhere she went she had to deal with that. She couldn't move without bumping into someone who wanted her. So when she sought solace and help from doctors and psychiatrists she wound up with prescriptions for drugs. She mixed in alcohol just to make things more interesting.

Calling her a drug addict is way over the top. It implies she sought drugs on her own when in fact all the history suggests the drugs were a product of the doctors she was seeing. Yes, she did die of a drug overdose: barbituates (prescribed by one or more of the doctors and psychiatrists she was seeing). She emptied a bottle of pills. The death was logged as a suicide, although of course conspiracy theories abound. I liked your 'affairs' comment the best, though: You pointed out she "..ended up having affairs with people." Oh, the shame, the shame!

You don't like seeing her quotes in profiles (I have never seen any, but that's neither here nor there). Okay fine. Anybody who quotes Monroe thinking they'll be like Monroe is almost certainly going to miss the mark. Let me leave you with a quote from Lee Strasberg's eulogy at her funeral (I did have to go to Wikipedia to find out about the drug/cause of death):

In her eyes, and in mine, her career was just beginning.... She had a luminous quality. A combination of wistfulness, radiance, and yearning that set her apart and made everyone wish to be part of it – to share in the childish naivete which was at once so shy and yet so vibrant.

Trip30 wrote: [...] 
You do realize that she was a drug addict that ended up having affairs with people [...]

Which proves that good things can come from such people or even worse.

Which, come to think of it, was the whole point of the quote.

Trip30 wrote:

I saw those ^^^ words all over Facebook yesterday.   Some people even had picture meme's with it. 

(like this one MM Meme

So, you quote a popular internet meme...about a popular quote.

> Insert smirky comment about irony<

Canoro Philipp wrote:

sounds like something Hitler would say to the jews.

For all anyone knows he may have said it.

Because there seems to be a problem with people being able to find a source where Marilyn Monroe ever said it!

hehehe

A lot of fake quotes and questionable quotes have been dropped on her, as her's..

Here are  some of the real deals, from an admirer that did their research..

Have to say,these sound more like her and less like a hitler.. lol

I also have to say, she was very witty person:smileyhappy:

STRAIGHT FROM THE BOMBSHELL'S MOUTH....

So how can you be certain that a Marilyn Monroe quote is authentic? Find the source and make sure it's really originating from her. Old footage of press conferences, interviews in vintage magazines, and books by trusted and reputable people. Be cautious- there are a lot of books authored by people who can't verify that they ever even met Marilyn, let alone quote her verbatim.

My Story: Many famous Marilyn quotes are found in this slim  autobiography. While there has been heated discourse on just how much Marilyncontributed to it and how much was ghostwriter Ben Hecht, Marilyn did sit for interviews for the book, and did approve the final writing before abandoning the project over printing issues. Also giving it some credibility is that the anecdotes presented in My Story are echoed in Marilyn's own voice in her 1960 interview with Georges Belmont.  These are some quotes found in My Story that we can safely attribute to Marilyn:

"I used to think as I looked out on the Hollywood night, 'There must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me dreaming of being a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest."

"In Hollywood a girl's virtue is much less important than her hairdo."

"Hollywood's a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the fifty cents."

"I knew how third rate I was. I could actually feel my lack of talent, as if it were cheap clothes I was wearing inside. But, my God, how I wanted to learn!To change, to improve! I didn't want anything else. Not men, not money, not love, but the ability to act."

"The real lover is the man who can thrill you just by touching your head or smiling into your eyes- or just by staring into space."

"The truth is, I've never fooled anyone. I've let men sometimes fool themselves."

"I knew I belonged to the Public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but beause I had never belonged to anyone or anything else."

Will Acting Spoil Marilyn Monroe?--This excellent little book by journalist Pete Martin is based on actual interviews with Marilyn and was printed in 1956. It spends  time examining "Monroeisms', those off-the-cuff but incredibly witty classic Monroe comebacks, as well as several of her well known

quotes:

(on being asked if she wore falsies) "Those who know me better....know better."

(on sex) "It's a part of nature. I go along with nature."

(on posing nude) "I did too have something on. I had the radio on."

(on being asked what she sleeps in) "I sleep in Chanel Number Five."

"I like to feel blonde all over."

"I don't care about money. I just want to be wonderful."

"The Johnston Office spends a lot of time worrying about whether a girl has cleavage or not. It seems to me they ought to worry if she doesn't have any."

"I've been asked, 'Do you mind living in a man's world?' I always answer, 'Not as long as I can be a woman in it."

"I learned to walk when I was ten months old and I've been walking this way ever since."

Marilyn, Her Life In Her Own Words: This oft-overlooked interview conducted by George Barris just a few weeks before Marilyn died was supposed to have been a book collaboration between the photographer and the actress. Quotes included here are:

"Respect is one of life's greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don't have that? If there is only one thing in my life that I am proud of,it's that I've never been a kept woman."

"It was my fans who made me a star."

"I'm thirty-six years old. I'm just getting started!"

Richard Merymen Life Interview---This last interview with Marilyn appeared in the August 3, 1962 edition of Life Magazine and can be found in audio form as well. In this candid and direct interview, Marilyn said such things as:

"The least I can give them is the best they can get from me. What's the good of drawing in the next breath if all you do is let it out and draw in another?"

“It's nice to be included in people's fantasies but you also like to be accepted for your own sake. I don't look at myself as a commodity, but I'm sure a lot of people have.”

“You can read about yourself but what’s important is how you feel about yourself.”

"That’s the trouble, a sex symbol becomes a thing. I just hate to be a thing. But if I’m going to be a symbol of something I’d rather have it sex than some other things they’ve got symbols of!”

"What I really want to say: That what the world really needs is a real feeling of kinship. Everybody: stars, laborers, Negroes, Jews, Arabs. We are all brothers."

"Who does she think she is, Marilyn Monroe?"

"Fame will go by and , so long, I've had you fame. If it goes by, I've always known it was fickle. So at least it's something I experience, but it's not where I live."

"“Please don't make me a joke. End the interview with what I believe. I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one ... I want to be an artist, an actress with integrity.”

Thanks for that, Ceka, I enjoyed reading those quotes. She was smart. And funny. and gorgeous. I'm sure there will be actresses with lots of smarts and gorgeousness who make it into the movies, but they won't be 'another Marilyn Monroe'. She was herself alone. There'll never be another Marilyn Monroe, any more than there'll be another James Dean, or Jimmy Stewart.

Well these people wouldn't be famous if we didn't make them that way that is all.  I don't care for the Kardashians but others obviously do.

I am not so much talking about the current ones, but the old school had certain image they were to live up to  and the press those days very much so help protect that image.  it's not what it use to be that is for sure!  In this and age everyone can be a celebrity for at least 5 minutes lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.