Perrin Avindar

Why is there so much homophobia in Gorean role play sims and what can we do about it?

6 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

No of course not, and I would never tell anyone they shouldn't do anything they enjoy in SL, I would only ask why to help my understanding.

Could be a stress relief. Sometimes I have too much responsibility in RL, once in a while I could just sit down: "I am a little woman who has nothing to say, O wise and powerful man....Lead the way".

7 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

"I am a little woman who has nothing to say, O wise and powerful man....Lead the way".

I'm 5'2" in the morning, but never have nothing to say. For a wise and powerful man to lead, I'd have to... SQUIRREL!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm 5'2" in the morning, but never have nothing to say. For a wise and powerful man to lead, I'd have to... SQUIRREL!

In your case a wise & powerful man would stay well out of flamethrower range.

• Like 3

There are just as many issues with Women being with slave girls on Gorean sims.  It is kept very hush hush but if there are any outward signs it's a problem.  It's not just with silk males.

11 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

In your case a wise & powerful man would stay well out of flamethrower range.

...begins work on an intercontinental flamethrower.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

"Little" is my name, I am 5'5.... :D

To be (a little) serious, roleplay and that includes relationships, is too much drama than relief. Now owning land and decorating, that is much more relaxing....

Hell is other people.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

"I am a little woman who has nothing to say, O wise and powerful man....Lead the way".

That makes sense, though as a little woman who has plenty to say that the men seldom listen to, it isn't going to be my cup of tea.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:14 AM, Aztecaa said:

It's very simple, There is very little, if anything written in the books of John Norman about gor that even mentioned gay in gor, it was not even mentioned when speaking about panther tribes and panther tribes are all woman or female tribes.
Therefore assumed that there were no gay or lesbians in gor.
In a society such as gorean, gay and lesbian would be considered extremely undesirable, it would deeply offend the honor of many warriors and free woman, therefore, must be destroyed to remove this stain  on the honor on men and woman.
Also, you must remember, you cannot make anyone accept something they do not and will not accept, even in a virtual world.
In a male dominated society such as gor, gay and lesbians would find themselves very much unwelcome and unwanted,

59b00f0798aca_pinheadnecro2.jpg.c2eb73758dc93fd3c16f0c5d74403433.jpg

I was really confused when this popped in my email as i didnt recognize the title... Thanks for the necro.. Trollbot. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It's really not our business.

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I traveled the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something

SL is a safe place to test out things. Who would risk slave play in RL?

Whenever I hear this song these days I'm reminded of something I saw across the street. There's a very nice lady over there named Circle Widdershins, and something she said is being used as a signature line by another forumite (I forget who).

"Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to dis a brie?"

• Like 1

I don't want to think about the house that should be painted, the roof that should have an overhaul, the problems my kids have at school, how I worked full time since I was 18 and are afraid I will loose my job, so I play a pampered slave in a fantasy world where I only simper and pout and type adult content with a burly man that just fought for me?

Maybe a reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have been involved in SL Gor for a very long time, and IMO the role you wish to play is one of the hardest roles to play and find good RP. 

1 Its a common misconception that goreans are homophobic in the books, the truth is goreans were true to their sexuality whatever that may be. Too many people infuse "earth" thinking into their characters and this often bleeds into OOC drama.

2 People who have certain beliefs and are unable to express them in their real lives often come to SL gor to give expression to these hidden beliefs.

3 The role you wish to play is extremely limited in scope, likely scenarios and story arcs without a lot of co-operation from other RPers. This perhaps leaves some RPers feeling threatened OOC by a male silky slave dominating the narrative, thus building resentment to what may be perceived as one person seeking to dominate their story and time, leaving them feeling like the RPer playing the male silkie is excessively imposing the niche character's needs onto their own leisure time.

I have seen vanishingly few male silk slaves successfully integrate into a sim for any noteworthy time period, mostly they leave after a day or two having not received "instant gratification"

Most male slaves in the books wanted one thing ... Freedom. 

I will repeat it ... Gorean RPersin SL BTB RP should act gorean, not earth

Edited by Leia36

those Goreans.... always necroposting

PS: There is no "Gorean Non-Earth" thinking - that weido John Norman was from planet Earth, all the "gor" stuff is hence of terrestrial origin, duh...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leia36 said:

I will repeat it ... Gorean RPersin SL BTB RP should act gorean, not earth

Nice necro. - also... "More real than the law is the heart. Tahari Proverb" - ToG pp 146

I know this is an older post but honestly why do effiminate males want to be in Gor.  The theme of Gor is men dominated women and used them for their pleasure.  Thralls were used for manual labor.  So why do gay men want to be in Gor, someone please explain that to me.  I have nothing against gay or lesbians, my daughter is one...but the issue is, Are you just upset that Gor is about straight people?  There is a gay Gor sim or two but I was told they do not like having their own sim.

I was about to make a comment about "effeminate gay men", like, er, me for example...

rainbow_002.thumb.png.77cf0014fd5eeb0fae58cb9e0a49e274.png

Then I realised the thread was 5 years old. OP is probably long gone now.

Anyway, I deal with the OP's issue by avoiding Gor entirely, except for buying those aforementioned silks and wearing them at places like Chiaroscuro and Dust, where nobody discriminates.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jaime Spingflower said:

I know this is an older post but honestly why do effiminate males want to be in Gor.  The theme of Gor is men dominated women and used them for their pleasure.  Thralls were used for manual labor.  So why do gay men want to be in Gor, someone please explain that to me.  I have nothing against gay or lesbians, my daughter is one...but the issue is, Are you just upset that Gor is about straight people?  There is a gay Gor sim or two but I was told they do not like having their own sim.

Have you read any of the books? No? Then no worries, because "Gor" in SL is by name only; nothing else even comes close. Nothing wrong with man-princesses or even outright homosexuals there. 

8 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Oh My God .. Necro posts have value they say .... 

But, but... you DID have a good laugh, admit it! :)

Edited by Alyona Su

I have read 4 of the books.    Gor in SL was BTB originally and it did come close. 

There is something wrong when you are reversing the roles of male-dominated roleplay.  In RL gays should be treated with respect and allowed to do anything they want but we are talking roleplaying in a role.

I do know a gay guy in Gor who is owned by a woman, so at least he is playing BTB.  I have nothing against gay men as I said. 

If you went to a Dragon sim and said, oh no I want to be a puppy, they would tell you NO.

Gor and those like Gor are roleplay sims.  you are there basically pretending to be some else.  racial slurs and all kinds of rants might be used by someone who might not normally say those things....they are acting in a way

1 hour ago, Jaime Spingflower said:

Gor in SL was BTB originally and it did come close. 

eh.. I remember a BTB Pani sim where everyone looked like Inuyasha and had pet tigers. It's hard to avoid the immersion-breaking things. I just learned to close one eye and play with others who shared my style of RP.  

On 1/7/2014 at 12:43 PM, Senobia Xenga said:

I think it has to do with Gor putting so much emphasis on being "Manly Men". Sweaty, chest thumping, grunting piles of testosterone hellbent on raping and pillaging. Anything less is, well - unacceptable or female, which are pretty much synonymous in Gor.

While we're here, can we discuss how amazingly homoerotic the men of Gor's descriptions, their passionate brotherly friendships, and their color-coded attire are?

2 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

eh.. I remember a BTB Pani sim where everyone looked like Inuyasha and had pet tigers. It's hard to avoid the immersion-breaking things. I just learned to close one eye and play with others who shared my style of RP.  

It is not about looking for someone else to roleplay with...Men do not want to participate or watch two men having sex in a roleplay sim designated for "manly men", so then the slave girls have no one to roleplay with.   Like I said...if it were about being a Dragon, gay or not, you should dress like a dragon.

8 minutes ago, Jaime Spingflower said:

It is not about looking for someone else to roleplay with...Men do not want to participate or watch two men having sex in a roleplay sim designated for "manly men", so then the slave girls have no one to roleplay with.   Like I said...if it were about being a Dragon, gay or not, you should dress like a dragon.

Starting to sound a lot like plain ole homophobia and trying to find some way to make it acceptable.. 

Cunning plan. If you don't like teh gay, don't do teh gay.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jaime Spingflower said:

I know this is an older post but honestly why do effiminate males want to be in Gor.  

Personally I find Gor, at least what I know of it and have been exposed to in second Life- to be pretty insulting to my intelligence.  I'm by far not a bra burning feminist but I am for equality.  That being said if effiminate guys want to hang around and be dominated or ignored by other guys- more power to 'em.  Who are you to judge what floats their boat?