Celebrity regrets turning Second Life offer down

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the 'news' is her (probably mistaken) realisation that she turned down a fortune in bitcoins at one point, prompted by the recent media exposure of the currency. "Tens of thousands" of bitcoins would have been worth 3 to 30 million USD at their 2013 peak. As Jo suggests, it was probably L$ not bitcoins.

As for who she is... probably a lot more famous in the UK than anywhere else. Her last album sold best part of a million copies over here, and she has a famous father and little brother.

Cali Souther wrote:

Interestingly,  I have never heard of her.

Seems strange to me that someone who DJs in SL doesn't know who Lily Allen is, simply because

song used to be played at almost every club I went to in SL for a good long while... of course, this was a while back.

...Dres

ETA: And it's a great song.

I got slapped in the face by Lily Allen, before she was famous. I was working as a bouncer at a club called the Camden Palace in London. Must have been 2001 or  2002 Lily and a group of girls were trying to get into the club. I asked for ID on the door as she was clearly under age. She did not have ID and immediately started ranting at me. Shouting things like, "Do you know who I am", "Do you know who my dad is?" and generally threatening to get me fired / beaten up / shot in the face. She then told me that her dad was Keith Allen (which retrospectively is how I now know she was Lily Allen). so I said "oh you mean that bald little **bleep** from the Vindaloo video". and then she slapped me in the face and stormed off.

True story,

In actual fact I knew exactly who her dad was and love a lot of the movies he has appeared in, He is even cool in Vindaloo. 

Porky Gorky wrote:

In actual fact I knew exactly who her dad was and love a lot of the movies he has appeared in, He is even cool in Vindaloo.

Just to put the Vindaloo video into some kind of 'cultural' context, it was of course a homage to/parody of the Verve's 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' video:

Porky Gorky wrote:

I got slapped in the face by Lily Allen, before she was famous. I was working as a bouncer at a club called the Camden Palace in London. Must have been 2001 or  2002 Lily and a group of girls were trying to get into the club. I asked for ID on the door as she was clearly under age. She did not have ID and immediately started ranting at me. Shouting things like, "Do you know who I am", "Do you know who my dad is?" and generally threatening to get me fired / beaten up / shot in the face. She then told me that her dad was Keith Allen (which retrospectively is how I now know she was Lily Allen). so I said "oh you mean that bald little **bleep** from the Vindaloo video". and then she slapped me in the face and stormed off.

You'll enjoy this photo of the front cover of the Christmas/New Year edition of Hot Press then Porky:

Lily Allen.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.