Sudden Constant Disconnections

ShereeHoneyflower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I joined SL a few weeks and updated the software when I joined up using the links, etc provided by SL. Now all of a sudden, I am being disconnected constantly as quick only after a few minutes online. I tried the new computer and still the same problems.

There has been no changes to my internet connection at all so I cannot see that being the problem. 

Having a good internet connection is not the same thing as having a good connection to SL. The error message is telling you there is a communication problem. Read through Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection to find the specific problem and determine if it is you, your ISP, or the SL servers.

Having you max bandwidth set at 512 should not be a problem. That setting only tells the server what to shoot for. A higher setting may mean better performance. But, too high a setting can mean worse performance. Between 512 and 1,500 is considered the best for now. Test to see what works best for you.

The connection protocol for SL is changing as the Sunshine project moves to roll out. This is changing with each server update (mostly weekly) and each viewer update (targeted for bi-monthly). Expect changes in behavior with any viewer update and on Tuesday and Wednesday (server update days).

Also the Internet net is changing. The entire infrastructure is changing from IPv4 to IPv6. It is expected to take years. But, 2013 is when it shifted into cruising speed for changes. As various ISP's and services update their equipment your Internet connection will change. You'll never know when those changes are being made. So, never expect that yesterday's good or bad performance will be what you have today.

PS: That bad  installation thing could be your anti-virus ripping up the SL install. Try turning it off, reinstalling SL over the top of the existing install, try logging in. If things work with AV off, white list (make an exception) the SL install folder.

Thank you for that, Nalates. I will seek to give those suggestions a go. My inferior brain tends to implode trying to taking information like this but I'll give it a go.

What you wrote about the internet infrastructure being upgraded has me concerned as we here in Australia only just recently kicked out a Government that had started to upgrade our communications network that is still reliant on 19th Century copperwire networks, and elected a mob who regard the internet as only used for playing games making upgrades a waste of money. And those of them that do support upgrades, only want business to have them. They have already decided that Australia will be relying on the out dated copperwire technology for at least another 20 years. 

Australia is already behind developed nations. *Sigh!

*IPv4/6 I now understand is not about speed but addresses.

I did a speed test of my internet. An amazing 2.13Mbps

I cannot see how you can test the speed with SL. The speed test only lets me test my computer to where they send the ping from/to. I do use wireless modem/router so I connected the computer to the modem through the cable which did not make any difference.

While testing from SL's side, the first two crashes showed high ping levels but the third was in normal range.

ping on crash.JPGsl test ping test 2.JPG

time dilation n physic on crash.JPGtime dilation n physic on crash 2.JPG

Oy, Sheree, those stats are shocking! :smileysurprised:

fps 3.3?? Bandwith 21kbps??? Ping 1261msec??? My bandwith to SL is often low as that but I still get way better fps. Are your graphics set up correctly?

The ping is awful tho.

I know for a fact that many ozzies have very good interwebz konnekshuns. Are you living in the sticks maybe?

And copper is stil good, dontcha worry. I'm on stable 8MB down speed on my 30 years old copper telephone line. You can have ADSL2+ with up to 40 MB or so on old copper lines, depending on the infrastructure of the last mile.

So I guess it's your ISP or the phone company to blame. Contact them asap and ask them to recreate your port and increase your speed to the maximum possible. Best have a techie sent out to your home to check it first hand. If the infrastructure in Australia is anything like in South Africa your ISP and your last mile provider are 2 different entities. Here the last mile is always covered by the state-owned Telkom, so your ISP (bandwith reseller) is not to blame. Unload all your **bleep** onto the guys who are responsible for the wire from your house to the next streetbox/local DSLam.

Also ALWAYS plug your computer into the router. Wifi might be good for everyday surfing but can be killer for SL. 

I live in Sydney, not the sticks. I use to live in the country and the internet was much better as I normally got 8Mbps there but here in Sydney I average a little over 4Mpbs. Also, the copperwire is old. The techs say that it is outdated and falling apart, struggling to keep up making it expensive to retain. They cannot understand why Australians voted to not update to World standards but remains with a dying infrastructure. 

Business, health etc are crying out for an updated infrastructure. Very few people here actually believe our internet is up to standard. Tourists visiting commonly ridicule it for being over a decade behind in technology.

The other computer is a newly refurbished/rebuilt computer and it is having the same trouble as my two year old computer. 

I have been thinking of ringing up my provider to see what can be done for me.

WOW! And I always thought here in SA we're 100 years behind. Telkom just recently switched from tribal drums to real servers after homing pigeons weren't a good replacement for modern communication. :smileyindifferent:

Anyway, in your case it sounds like it's actually your individual wiring that's the major bottleneck. Now all you gotta do is finding out who's responsible for the upkeep of it. I guess the telephone company. So launch some complaints and ask them to replace it or else.

BTW, the age of your computers doesn't have anything to do with the quality of your connection.

Sheree, As much as it sucks, it would seem to me that its an issue between some australian servers and Second life, as I am experiencing the EXACT same issue that you are regarding the SL error message regarding the mangled data on the upstream.

If I can ask, what ISP are you  using, just out of curiosity?

I managed to get ahold of someone in the actual TECH suppor department of Dodo (though unsure how technical they are)

I would reccomend next time you contact them, mention you are not the only person experiencing this issue. Id suggest that you attempt using 6009895 (my reference number) when stating you are having the exact same problem. The more people experiencing the issue, the more likely they are to finally fix the problem.

So contacted LL support, and got the most helpful response ever... not.

I sent them an exact detail regarding the crashing issue, and traceroute copy of the path, with response as follows...

Those time outs are occuring somewhere between us. I'm happy to see that above.net is working for all again. You do eventually get to us, but the routing is messing you up and that's not something you can fix nor can we. We just have to wait for those bits of internet to come back online for you.

So hopefully the internet comes back online...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.