Sign in to follow this  
JaedenDelanaire

Poll: Genders in SL and RL

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Oh lawdy. You jumped on your alt account after deleting your last post? The spelling errors weren't that bad. I mean, goodness, there
is
an edit button.

Before saying anything further I should warn you that speculation about the identity of alts, whether accurate or miles wide of the mark as in this case, has been specifically identified as a disciplinary offence against the Forum Guidelines by previous Community Managers; you may wish to reconsider your attitude if you wish to retain your posting rights. You can tell Lindal I said that too.

On this charge I will withhold sentence, as it is not within my jurisdiction, but may your omnipotent and omnipresent fictional philosophical crutch have mercy upon your non-existent soul.

And surely you are not pretending you were not responsible for the removal of my padawan's last post? I asked him for a copy and there are no errors at all in it, which would be a reason for your denial strategy.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

jujmental wrote:

...to having one unverifiable
position statement
made by an anonymous person replaced by a contradictory, yet still unverifiable,
position statement

© The Judge

Your grasp on literary terms is lacking.

Literary terms? I would consider specifying my gender (or skin-colour, ore sexual orientation, or religion, or handedness preference inter alia) as position statements with regard to either my avatar or my real self. What has this got to do with literary terms? If I wanted to use a literary term I would indicate that The Farquhar's posts were didactic, but that your overt comprehension of them was less than convincing, making you an extremely unreliable narrator.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

This thread was never an
argument
; it's an open ended question free to be answered and remarked upon by anyone who has interest. The only person who started an
arguement
was you.

Not only are you inaccurate in your use of English, you are inaccurate in your use of the spell-checker it seems? Or are you going to claim that consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative?

On the charges of mendacity, of cowardice and worst of all, of becoming boringly repetitively inaccurate, I find you guilty.

© The Judge

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

I've played this game for some six years

Not under this name, you haven't.

Hiding some dirty secret, are you?

© The Judge

jujmental wrote:

Not under this name, you haven't.

Hiding some dirty secret, are you?

© The Judge

I have many dirty secrets, my dear Rudi. :matte-motes-evil: So, when am I going to get my sexy sentencing? 'Cause like, I gotta itch I need to scratch, and you're kinda' keeping me behind on schedule. As for the spelling error, I thought we already ascertained I'm unreliable. I can't be this beautiful AND attentive, it just doesn't work!

So, back to what I was saying:

images.jpg

P.S. How about an SL date sometime? I know this beach...

On the discussion topic, it occurred to me within the last five seconds that the question could be taken to a real world level. In my local community I've met several transgender indentified people, one or two women with all the feminine anatomy parts that indentified strictly as male, and to whom it was important to be indentified as a man--and many more men who wanted to be identified as young women. Sadly, I was always incapable of seeing them as the gender they desired to be taken as. Not that I wouldn't treat them and title them as such, but mentally I couldn't reconcile the visual impact of their person with what they were supposed to be.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

On the discussion topic, it occurred to me within the last five seconds that the question could be taken to a real world level.

Sir Ian McKellen (most readers here will probably only know of him from his guest appearance in The SImpsons) offers relevant views on the relevance of sexual orientation when playing a part, which is just as important as actual gender - would you refuse to have dinner with Sir Anthony Hopkins because you might be afraid you were on the menu?

© The Judge

Fascinating article! But I imagine most people involved in an MMORPG of any sort will know Mckellen as Magneto, or as the article mainly recognizes, Gandalf. It's a pity the subject was brushed over with a quote.

I'm not entirely sure I'd mind being on Hopkins's menu... I'd at least let him have my ring finger.

jujmental wrote:

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

On the discussion topic, it occurred to me within the last five seconds that the question could be taken to a real world level.

Sir Ian McKellen (most readers here will probably only know of him from his guest appearance in The SImpsons)
, which is just as important as actual gender - would you refuse to have dinner with Sir Anthony Hopkins because you might be afraid you were on the menu?

© The Judge

I am guessing that since I don't watch the Slmpsons and first saw him in the Shadow that leaves me out.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

On the discussion topic, it occurred to me within the last five seconds that the question could be taken to a real world level. In my local community I've met several transgender unidentified people, one or two women with all the feminine anatomy parts that unidentified strictly as male, and to whom it was important to be unidentified as a man--and many more men who wanted to be identified as young women. Sadly, I was always incapable of seeing them as the gender they desired to be taken as. Not that I wouldn't treat them and title them as such, but mentally I couldn't reconcile the visual impact of their person with what they were supposed to be.

In RL, once I know something consciously I can't unknow it.  Even in a completely asexual situation knowing the real gender of a person can effect how I think of them and relate to them.

Although I am a hetero female I was a tomboy growing up and have always felt more comfortable with males and typically male environments in work and recreation.  One of my vivid memories from childhood was when I was 3 or 4 and was playing with a truck in nursery school.  I little boy tried to take it away and when I wouldn't let him a teacher took it from me and gave it to him saying, "trucks are for little boys, why don't you go play dolls with the other little girls?"  When I went home that afternoon and complained how unfair it was and I didn't want to go back there my mother said after my birthday, which was coming up, I could decide whether I wanted to go back or not.  I chose not.  My Mom never forced any of us kids into gender specific roles.

My Mom and I, an adult, went to visit my sister when she lived in a commune.  She introduced us to a child of about 10 who had a non-gender specific name who we both thought was a boy.  When my sister went off to do something the child and I were having a conversation and getting along great.  When I referred to her as him and found out she was a girl from another person who had entered the room I just continued on as if it didn't matter what gender they were.  And it didn't. She watched very carefully to see how I reacted to finding out she was a girl especially when my mother remarked on it.  When I ignored my Mom's remark and also her second comment on it, a look of co-conspirators passed between the little girl and I.  Even though the rapport between us developed when I thought she was a boy there was just a little extra feeling of camaraderie between us because of my experiences as a little girl.