Sign in to follow this  
JaedenDelanaire

Poll: Genders in SL and RL

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

@Syo Emerald
- Huehuehue! Well, I wouldn't necesarily make a blanket statement and call them bad. Sexual preferences are a pretty valid thing to maintain from OOC into IC. But yes, it is rather indicative in neutral settings if a person avoids interactions with another on the basis of their real life gender and for that alone. As if it matters over the internet. :matte-motes-not-entertained:

When I'm roleplaying (and by that I mean real roleplay, with a fictional setting, a backgroundstory and a full-developed character with their own thoughts, feelings, motives and story) I want the interaction to be happening between my character and other characters, not between the real persons behind them. I do not want that others chose to flirt with my character, because they want to satisfy a very real need for sexual satisfaction. I want to play with people who understand, that (for example) my character smiles at them and blushes not because I want to hit on them, but because this reaction makes sense for my character.

If someone can't play out erotic scenes within the RP, because he/she notices an uncomfortable feeling...thats ok. Its not always necessary to act it out. But what I truely doesn't want is someone who wants to play erotic scenes within a roleplaysetting but can't accept the fact, that its characterbased. Then, I also have to question their motivation to get into the roleplay in the first place....

For everything outside of roleplay, I can at least somewhat understand that gender plays a role for some. But then again, I wouldn't advise those people to hop on sex-poseballs with strangers in a virtual world.

Syo Emerald wrote:

I want to play with people who understand, that (for example) my character smiles at them and blushes not because I want to hit on them, but because this reaction makes sense for my character.

This.

A million times this. 

This is the reason why IC and OOC separation is so thoroughly important to me, but that is an idealism. I would say the majority of people who RP intimate things do so because those individuals are not keeping those needs met in their real life. Personally, if I could get all the abuse, man-handling, and plain ol' sadism that I thrive off of in a safe environment in the real world, I wouldn't need to log into SL at all save for the occasional desire to play dress up. 

Otherwise, why would you want to? You alone directly determine the sexuality that goes into your character. If a person isn't into kinky sex, chances are they're not going to make a character who desires those things. In fact, characters they create will have motivations and goals that allow them to avoid it altogether.

So when I play, I don't particularly care why people choose to interact with my character. If it's because they're horny in real life, m-kay, so long as it's believable when their character starts hitting on me. Yet... nothing squicks me faster when people get it into their head that because I'm involved with them in a story setting, that it's okay to start forming expectations.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Rudi.
Sweetheart. My little pumpkin muffin. Why are you justifying your statement with anecdote? This is the internet, silly boy. How am I ever to belieeeeb you?

As I repeatedly advise people, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

That doesn't mean it isn't true of course.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

I fully support those who can't help but to seek and partake in confrontation, but to devote yourself to antagonizing others is not the behavior of a healthy individual. As for your
, there are several traits I could list outright, but the biggest is your desire to stick around in a thread when your only contribution was to nit pick at the chosen wording of a question, one which you haven't bothered to answer for yourself. Your continued presence is undesirable, yet here you are. The gnat  on the fruit of my labors.

Ah, more internet psychology. Or balderdash, as it is known to we experts.

I have answered the nonsensical question several times, but you seem disinclined to acknowledge my analysis.

In particular you might consider taking your own medicine and ask - as I pointed out in a previous post - how you can determine the actual real life gender and orientation of the person at the end of the keyboard. Which rather destroys the whole point of the question.

And who are YOU to decide unilaterally whether my presence is undesirable or not? You may have a personal feeling, perhaps one of incipient humiliation since my logic has rather destroyed the point of the thread, but others are likely to be entertained by the exposure of your pointless posturing.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Perhaps we should skype and watch the Grinch Christmas special today. Your wife never needs know, unless your heart should grow a size bigger. My private inbox is open to you.

Is the Grinch some kind of American cultural artefact attempting to compensate for an inability of the population to concentrate long enough to read a Dickens novel? Scrooge was a wuss.

Skype or IM you? Why on earth would I want to deprive the unpaying public from getting their jollies by restricting my deconstruction of your nonsensical thesis?

**********Rudi**********

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Q: If an RPer plays a gender other than his/her own in real life, does it affect their desirability as an RP candidate, and if so, why?

If the word gender fails to apply to your avatar in SL and you'd still like to answer the question, simply substitute gender for whatever you feel is appropriate. Yes, furries, its and trans, it's your night to shine.

A friend of mine noted that there was a distinct difficulty in getting people to play with their heterosexual RP characters of the opposite gender
when they were upfront about their RL gender
. I cannot comment, since my first foray into online RPing consisted of using all male characters as a RL chick--and I've met the majority of all my bestest SL friends while they were in an avatar
of a gender not the same as their RL gender
--regardless of knowing that up front or much later in confidence.

On second thought, I can comment: I'm baffled there seems to be a difficulty at all. But for those of you for who it does matter, come one come all.

In case you have missed the point, rather than pretending not to, to avoid further embarrassment, I have highlighted the ridiculous element of your question.

I ask again: "What is the point of this discussion when you can not be assured of their RL gender, whatever apparent disclosure they might make?"

**********Rudi**********

Did I just get rejected on the skype idea?

What if I opted to read you All Things Great and Small with my gloriously froggy voice? We can cry over the little wounded kittens together.

No?

Christmas has most assuredly been ruined, then.

You're assuming that most people need assurance beyond basic disclosure and occasionally voice verification (which is laughably easy to fake) to begin making their first impressions. They don't. Decisions on whether or not they're going to interact with a person are made on these first impressions without need for verification, especially for us snobby RPers. The argument is that discrimination begins when there is a disclosure made that the avatar's gender is not the same as the real life gender, not whether or not they're being truthful.  The question is specifically directed at the thought processes and reasonings that take place. You apparently have enough of a brain to string all those pompous sentences together, why couldn't you figure that out for yourself?

As for the humiliation, I think I'm getting off on it. Just a little. My pruriency knows no bounds!!

@Klisties SeMio - Totally missed what you said!! Just found it with my sleepy eyes. Oh my!! You're very strongly worded! But I think it's harsh to point blankly say that people incapable of separating OOC preferences with how they interact in a virtual world have no business enjoying SL the way they choose to. More often than not, when people make characters they make them with their own limits in mind. If a person is truly and inflexibly heterosexual, I doubt they'll make a character with bisexual tendencies regardless how capable they are at separating IC and OOC. Tari pointed out earlier that when you're faced, mentally, with the realization that the person you're interacting with are not the same gender they are in real life, then mentally things occur that cannot be overcome with rationalization. Whether it's deep seated misandry, misogyny, or a belief that said person won't be able to play the role as a different gender as well as they should--take your pick. Not saying it happens to all, but it seems to happen to some.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

@Amethyst Jetaime
- Each reason you've brought up echo my own fathoming for why it occurs. Specifically,
the fear that your Rp partner may not be capable of playing the gender they desire to well
.  I mostly RP with women, so I've come to find that women who are inclined to do so can RP men just as convincingly as any man can lay claim their own gender. In fact, more oft' than not, I actually prefer it when women will play male characters for me as opposed to finding male players.

I am not surprised that your experience is that women inclined to RP can play men well.  While I never want to to convey a gross generalization as there are always exceptions, many women are more empathetic then men are and this empathy would certainly allow them to be more successful.  One thing I have experienced myself is that when a man drives a woman avatar, I usually can spot them regardless of whether they admit it or not, although I don't claim infallibility in this as there are always exceptions.  Usually it is because they present their avatars or they react in ways differently than RL women generally do.  Men are wired differently than women are (and I am sure even Rudy would agree here LOL.)  Its not a bad thing or an inequality thing, as it would be dull indeed if both sexes were wired the same way and probably it has a lot to do with why we are a successful as a species.  The sexes generally compliment each other and together they are greater than the sum of their parts.  

I'm not entirely sure about the homophobia based ideas, though. My friend noted that when they played their RL gender, they often found heterosexual members of their same sex willing to play with them with better ease than with the gender bender twist in there. This lead my friend into pondering the whole, "Maybe 'normal' people just think it's odd or something" idea. I remember we were preparing to do a scene together with a person we'd just met, and the friend stated their gender to ensure there would be no surprises later down the road, the first question was sort of an incredulous, "Why don't you play your own gender?" And, perhaps for reasons other than that, the scene never got on its way.

It very well could be that "Maybe [
sic some
] 'normal' people just think it's odd or something".  But I wouldn't discount homophobia and prejudice as a cause in some cases either.  These things do exist in RL people and SL has a broad representation of RL people here.  I also have talked to and heard SL RP's discussing this and expressing ideas that could only be categorized as homophobic and prejudice.  Its a shame such negative things have to be carried in with them to SL, but it does happen.  

I do agree that when sexual intimacy is involved, a great deal of RL preferences are carried over. I'm mostly heterosexual IRL but I swear, as soon as I get to RPing I'm at least 90% batting for the other team, though that may just be my predisposition to gravitate toward well written individuals. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Not everyone can separate OCC from IC to that degree when it comes to sexual intimacy.  Its probably a good thing that if they can't, they don't RP with you as your experience would bound to be effected by this and not as satisfying as it could be with someone who can.

KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga wrote:

If people cannot separate IN CHARACTER INTERACTIONS with OUT OF CHARACTER INTERACTIONS they have no business in an RP SIM and need to either read the welcome notecards on the explanations or seek help from someone familiar with rp or at some place that will help teach them to separate things.

Maybe one of my characters likes stalking people in dark alleys and gutting them. Does that mean I do? NO. BLOOD ACTUALLY MAKES ME SQUEAMISH. But I'm not ROLE PLAYING myself, am I? NOPE. It's a CHARACTER.

It's all very simple and you people's confusion is cause for some concern.

I am a professional specializing in sim design and other custom content. I hold related RL credentials and experience and am paid well.  Should I demand any build that doesn't meet my standards be destroyed?  No.   I encourage everyone to try it out.  If their builds are mediocre or terrible so what?  If it gives them personal satisfaction then its all good.  If they choose to sell their builds, the market decides if their builds are worth buying.

Not everyone is a great actor.  Does that mean that unless you are one of the greats you shouldn't participate in community theater?  Of course not.  SL is entertainment.  You have a choice to RP or not with someone who doesn't live up to your expectations.  That doesn't mean that unless they are perfect RP'ers they should be denied participating in RP with people that don't mind they aren't awards material any more than its fair to say that only professional builders should be able to build in SL.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

You're assuming that most people need assurance beyond basic disclosure and occasionally voice verification (which is laughably easy to fake) to begin making their first impressions. They don't.

I'm not assuming it. I agree that people are that naively stupid. I am saying that revising your OP, to acknowledge the idiocy of believing everything that you are told online, would render the question you pose as redundantly nonsensical.

**********Rudi**********

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

The argument is that discrimination begins when there is a disclosure made that the avatar's gender is not the same as the real life gender, not whether or not they're being truthful.

Which merely puts into more severe focus, and exacerbates the idiocy of believing what you are told online. You should be asking, are you stupid enough to believe something when you were stupid enough to believe the reverse in the first place?

**********Rudi**********

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Q: If an RPer plays a gender other than his/her own in real life, does it affect their desirability as an RP candidate, and if so, why?

If the word gender fails to apply to your avatar in SL and you'd still like to answer the question, simply substitute gender for whatever you feel is appropriate.
Yes, furries, its and trans, it's your night to shine.

This is probably the most condescending thing I have read recently.  Furries, transgenders and ITS?!?!? Its?!? WTF?? Talk about demeaning. So, in your tiny world Furries and Transgender people can only "shine" when others don't know their RL gender? And as for ITS... I believe the term you are looking for and failed so miserably to find is androgynous. ITS.. You need help.

Aside from all that, who gives a tinkers damn what gender anyone is in RL? I don't plan on running away with anyone I meet in SL no matter how much we "click." As has been stated many times.. SL is all RP, no matter how much you think your av is you. You can always log off and decompress.

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

You're assuming that most people need assurance beyond basic disclosure and occasionally voice verification (which is laughably easy to fake) to begin making their first impressions. They don't.

I'm not assuming it. I agree that people are that naively stupid. I am saying that revising your OP, to acknowledge the idiocy of believing everything that you are told online, would render the question you pose as redundantly nonsensical.

**********Rudi**********

This is possibly the only thing you've stated in this thread that I can agree with, now that I understand which field you're coming from. It's a non-issue to begin with and almost pointless to talk about, but I've never claimed that this question or any conversation that spawns because of it would or should have impact. Psychology may be your profression, Mr. Southampton, but to an illiterate cashier who gets by on her 9 to 5, silly conversations like this are merely an amusing point to ponder over.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

This is probably the most condescending thing I have read recently.  Furries, transgenders and ITS?!?!? Its?!? WTF??
Talk about demeaning. So, in your tiny world Furries and Transgender people can only "shine" when others don't know their RL gender? And as for ITS... I believe the term you are looking for and failed so miserably to find is androgynous. ITS..
You need help

Oh my gosh, this is by far one of the more amusing points of my week. Where were you before, Drake1? I was waiting for you to come over. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Why do you think I meant androgynous? What if I was referring to robots?

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Aside from all that, who gives a tinkers damn what gender anyone is in RL? I don't plan on running away with anyone I meet in SL no matter how much we "click."

Your sentimenst echo my own in this regard, which is why I'm baffled when it occurs. RL gender doesn't matter over the internet. If you've seen the Dr. Phil segment on Catfish, it's appallingly easy to trick other people into thinking you're whatever gender you want to portray yourself as.

That's why I'm interested in knowing why people make the conscious decision to avoid others based on their claimed RL gender.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

This is probably the most condescending thing I have read recently.  Furries, transgenders and ITS?!?!? Its?!? WTF??
Talk about demeaning. So, in your tiny world Furries and Transgender people can only "shine" when others don't know their RL gender? And as for ITS... I believe the term you are looking for and failed so miserably to find is androgynous. ITS..
You need help

Oh my gosh, this is by far one of the more amusing points of my week. Where were you before, Drake1? I was waiting for you to come over. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Why do you think I meant androgynous? What if I was referring to robots?

Wow, I must have made an impression on you.. One post, five months ago and you have been waiting for me ever since. I am honored. 

If you meant robots you would have said robots. You were being condescending.

I've lurked on forums far more than I've posted. I've always been quite gleeful to spot your responses to any topic.

I think you're being overtly sensitive (though in turn, perhaps I'm being insensitive), and unless you relate to not having a gender at all, I'm not entirely sure why. You seem to quite happily own a male identity. The usage of the word 'its' had no more thought to it than being used as a filler for all the names of species and unknowns that could be substituted.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

RudolphFarquhar wrote:

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

**********Rudi**********

This is possibly the only thing you've stated in this thread that I can agree with, now that I understand which field you're coming from.

You mean you have EVENTUALLY realised the logic of objection which I have repeatedly posted? Are you slow or what?

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

Psychology may be your profression, Mr. Southampton

Psychology is not my profression, nor even my profession - although when I was younger I used to tell interested girlies at parties, just after explaining that my star sign was Arachnid, the forgotten thirteenth sign, that I was a lay psychologist . . .

And where did you get Southampton from? Because Spurs beat them the other day?

**********Rudi**********

A: I'm really a bloke in RL and I'm a bloke in SL too. Wanna have sex?

B: I'm really a girl in RL and I'm a girl in SL. Yes please.

A: Actually I'm a girl in RL just playing a bloke in SL. Do you still wanna have sex?

B: Yes please, because I'm actually a lesbian in RL but I was trying out being hetero in SL.

A: Erm, well, to be honest, I am a bloke in RL, and I have always wanted to have sex with a lesbian, so is it still on?

B: Well, to tell the truth, I am a homosexual man in RL, so you being a bloke is quite good really.

A:Ewww, I could never have sex with another man . . .

Is that how you see it being played out?

**********Rudi**********

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

to an illiterate cashier who gets by on her 9 to 5, silly conversations like this are merely an amusing point to ponder over.

I'm glad it's you not me who is superciliously demeaning the great unwashed mass of forumites.

**********Rudi**********

I'm not entirely sure how a personal statement somehow applies to the masses, but mmm-kay, I'll let you think that, Daddy-O.

And yes, I'm quite slow. You should see my record times on getting out a pose when I'm aroused. It trickles out like molasses, I tell ya'. But let's be clear; that is the first time within this thread that you've clearly explained your objection to the question's existence while providing helpful feedback in the same breath. Until this point you've been nitpicking and wandering off topic with your own personal life history and direct insults. Now that you're at least on topic I find conversing with you rather enjoyable.

In your picture album you have the picture of a Greg James Neil who is a current staff member in the Psychology department of South Hampton. For what reason you've used this picture, I cannot care to fathom.

I'm quite honored at your dabble in RP on this thread. Not too many people favor me with such a sample. Unfortunately (unfortunately because to experience the full exchange would be amusing), I imagine in most cases the conversation would stop at the third sentence. The way it plays out most times is Character A spots Character B, Character A finds an appreciation for Character B's shape and/or recently written pose, Character A browses Character B's profile and finds a writen disclosure in the Picks or 1st tab, "OH, by the way, I'm actually a _____" and Character A decides to not to engage based on that alone.

That's not what I said? I said if people can't seperate OOC from IC then they don't need to be going to a designated RP Sim and sitting there not in character and getting pissed when things happen they aren't comfortable with.

There's a reason for limits. Most people in RP Sims respect those limits (ie: no perma death, fade to black intimate scenes, no perm damage, etc). A lot of people have their character's sexuality in their profiles just to let others know 'hey, not interested'.

I'm saying if you don't understand OOC and IC interactions then you can go enjoy SL away from the rp sims. What I said only goes along with actual role play sims.

If someone is inherently unable to play a bisexual character - then they don't need to?? If someone wants to play a chick and they are a guy irl and they play that woman awefully, then who cares? There are so many rpers who just don't do so well with the writing, but if their character has an interesting enough story what does it matter? Not everyone's first language is English and not everyone is great at writing.

Their character is who I have my character interact with. If they are a 45 year old white dude role playing a 20 year old black girl then I'm going to treat his character like the 20 year old black girl. Because that's who he's showing me as his character and that's who I see him as.

It's really no different than a transman saying "Hey, my name is now Jacob. Please use male pronouns." They are presenting themselves as male and so they are male.

Think of it this way when it comes to gender - you go to a friend's house. You see a dog and go up to the dog and ask it "Aww, who's a good boy? How old is he?" And your friend laughs and goes. "Oh no, she's a girl. She's five this year." What do you do? Keep insisting the dog is a boy? No, you apologize and change your pronouns to female.

In sl if I'm rping with someone or even just talking to them in a club, and they are in a girl avi, they are a girl to me. If they later tell me they are a boy rl, then so be it, but as long as their avi is female and they present as a female in sl, they are female to me.

For me, it would depend on the RP. There are an infinite number of types/genres of RP in SL and for the non-sexual ones, no - I wouldn't care who or what was behind the pixels.

If it was sexual RP of any kind, yes - it would matter to me who or what was behind the pixels. Not that I can guarantee with any degree of certainty that I'm being told the truth when a SL man says he's a RL male, too, right? However, a SL man that revealed to me (or that I somehow otherwise knew for sure or suspected) that 'he' is a RL female would not be a sexual RP candidate for me - ever.

(I'm a straight female in both lives, if that matters.)

I see your writing has deteriorated, dear Rudi / Mr. Hampton / whoever it is you are, and I feel hurt by your laziness and lack of spell check. Is this what our relationship means to you!?

And no, you haven't explained it until a few posts previously. You've just been dedicating an inordinate amount of time to keeping up with a forum thread that you apparently deem silly, and to keeping up an assault on a poor widdle creature like me. I'm curious, which of your needs is being fulfilled by this conversation?

For the record, I'm one of the dumbest chicks you'll come across, and my ability to logic correctly--yes, I'm using that word as a verb, for shame!--has always been severely compromised without the inclusion of alcohol.

@Senobia - Thanks your for your input, sweetheart. :matte-motes-big-grin: Are you aware of why it matters to you in sexual based RP if there is a female playing a male avatar, beyond discomfort with the idea? Or is it something else, such as feeling inable to connect with the scene as emotionally as you'd be able to with a RL male dude?

@ Klisties - I didn't mean to insinuate that's what you were stating; that was merely rambling on my part. Somehow I'd connected it in my head that people who are inflexibly hetero would avoid playing with members of their same sex (regardless of the avatar's gender used) in an erotic context (ERP, anybody? no?). I guess I failed to make that connection in text. Totally my bad. I was rattling off several thoughts that I had in tangent to what you'd stated, so for that confusion I apologize. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: And as for what I'd mentioned about it being rather harsh to tell people that they shouldn't participate in their hobbies, I can't claim that I was strictly referring to RP sims (perhaps RP in general), but the clarification is nice.

However, further on clarification, this thread isn't dealing with the inability to separate IC and OOC. It's more for people who intrinsically feel different playing with other characters based on their RL gender, regardless of how capable they are at separating the information cognitively.

This is not a slam, more of an observation....

If the prospective RP partner has illusions/hopes about finding the perfect mate in SL and taking the relationship to RL, then people's RL gender is an issue to them.

Nothing wrong with that of itself, but it does underscore why its nice for people to put certain things in their Personal Profile like;" I never mix RL and SL". My experience has been that having that in my public profile goes a long way towards "filtering" the folks with somewhat unrealistic expectations out of the "hit on Cait" que :-)

Now, I have seen people get very indignant when someone states that a certain element that believes "guys playing girls is icky" exists in SL...... but groups devoted to "Voice verified female" still thrive and people still feel it necessary to put that in their profiles..... So on some level, that does seem to exist.

If someone wants to play cross-gender then two groups; Switchers and The Acceptance Project will help you network with folks - many in the RP community - who will be very acceptimg.

Overall, SL is a very tolerant place. However, as "adult" roleplay often verges on intimate situations, you have to be considerate of peoples real-life "limits" and if they have issues RPing with people playing cross-genders, then move along and find someone who doesn't care.

Its a big virtual world...no reason to fight over the small things.....

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

I see your writing has deteriorated, dear Rudi / Mr. Hampton / whoever it is you are, and I feel hurt by your laziness and lack of spell check.

I have been fascinatedly following the progress, or rather the lack of it, on this thread, and have yet to see a post by my padawan, The Farquahar, which has failed to follow scrupulously the rules of English (not American) spelling and grammar, with no little evidence of style, and even elan. A review of his remaining posts in this thread will confirm that, assuming the readers have the capability to concentrate long enough to reach the end of each sentence, or in some cases, until the final syllable of his more extended vocabulary.

Perhaps you are referring to a recent post which has subsequently disappeared? I recall it was sufficiently simple in its explanation for even the less blessed mentally to be able to comprehend the concepts expressed, although it did make it clear that there was a certain deficiency of cognitive abilities (as you have more colloquially expressed above: "I'm one of the dumbest chicks you'll come across") and presumably the post (which had no errors that I could ascertain) merely caused your also self-avowed sensitivity to demand its removal by those automata who presumably would be annoyed at having to work on a public holiday and would readily grasp at the chance to express their angst in a concrete manner.

The Farquhar also clarified the reference to Southampton, and by wilfully ignoring it you are potentially raising speculation that you are also involved in academic (or worse, commercial) research, possibly funded by an American Government Agency (or again, even worse, a retail consultancy, perhaps working for WalMart who may be considering a line of clothing for those unsure of their gender on an hourly basis).

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

However, further on clarification, this thread isn't dealing with the inability to separate IC and OOC. It's more for people who intrinsically feel different playing with other characters based on their RL gender, regardless of how capable they are at separating the information cognitively.

I will take up The Farquhar's cudgel at this point, and reiterate the accuracy of his viewpoint, that this thread is actually dealing with the kneejerk reactions of people to having one unverifiable position statement made by an anonymous person replaced by a contradictory, yet still unverifiable, position statement.

On sample charges of obfuscation, miscomprehension, and self-accused oversensitivity and "dumbness", I find you guilty.

© The Judge

KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga wrote:

That's not what I said? I said if people can't seperate OOC from IC then they don't need to be going to a designated RP Sim and sitting there not in character and getting pissed when things happen they aren't comfortable with.

There's a reason for limits. Most people in RP Sims respect those limits (ie: no perma death, fade to black intimate scenes, no perm damage, etc). A lot of people have their character's sexuality in their profiles just to let others know 'hey, not interested'.

I'm saying if you don't understand OOC and IC interactions then you can go enjoy SL
away from the rp sims.
What I said only goes along with actual
role play sims

If someone is inherently unable to play a bisexual character - then they don't need to?? If someone wants to play a chick and they are a guy irl and they play that woman awefully, then who cares? There are so many rpers who just don't do so well with the writing, but if their character has an interesting enough story what does it matter? Not everyone's first language is English and not everyone is great at writing.

Their character is who I have my character interact with. If they are a 45 year old white dude role playing a 20 year old black girl then I'm going to treat his character like the 20 year old black girl. Because that's who he's showing me as his character and that's who I see him as.

It's really no different than a transman saying "Hey, my name is now Jacob. Please use male pronouns." They are presenting themselves as male and so they are male.

Think of it this way when it comes to gender - you go to a friend's house. You see a dog and go up to the dog and ask it "Aww, who's a good boy? How old is he?" And your friend laughs and goes. "Oh no, she's a girl. She's five this year." What do you do? Keep insisting the dog is a boy? No, you apologize and change your pronouns to female.

In sl if I'm rping with someone or even just talking to them in a club, and they are in a girl avi, they are a girl to me. If they later tell me they are a boy rl, then so be it, but as long as their avi is female and they present as a female in sl, they are female to me.

Thank you for clarifying your meaning because you didn't' say that in your first post, you actually said

"If people cannot separate IN CHARACTER INTERACTIONS with OUT OF CHARACTER INTERACTIONS they have no business in an RP SIM and need to either read the welcome notecards on the explanations or seek help from someone familiar with rp or at some place that will help teach them to separate things.."

The latter part of your statement meant to me that if they can't separate OCC / IC they should learn to before RPing.  Some one could try to learn but still not be able to separate the two in certain situations due to how they are wired.  If this is the case then they should still be able to RP if they can choose who to RP with and thus not waste the time of another RPer in certain situations.

You suggestion that for people it matters to what the RL gender is of someone they RP with , then posting their limits is sensible.

Oh lawdy. You jumped on your alt account after deleting your last post? The spelling errors weren't that bad. I mean, goodness, there is an edit button. :matte-motes-big-grin:

bth_RossShameOnYou_zpsbf55035a.gif

jujmental wrote:

I will take up The Farquhar's cudgel at this point, and reiterate the accuracy of his viewpoint, that this thread is
actually dealing with the kneejerk reactions of people ...

© The Judge

I've never claimed differently, so why are we using the word actually? Go back to being Rudi, this persona of yours isn't as good with words. Plus... I think Rudi and I kinda' had something.

jujmental wrote:

...to having one unverifiable
position statement
made by an anonymous person replaced by a contradictory, yet still unverifiable,
position statement

© The Judge

Your grasp on literary terms is lacking. Go look up what a position statement is and reread the original post. This thread was never an arguement; it's an open ended question free to be answered and remarked upon by anyone who has interest. The only person who started an arguement was you, because of an asinine disagreement you held over the question's wording.

... And Drake1, he brought up an arguement as well, but I like him so he gets a free pass.

Am I at least going to be sentenced to a sexy punishment?

@ CJ Farina - I've reread your post twice and I can't find a single statement made that could be considered a slam. It was politely worded with observations I can testify toward. You know, I've played this game for some six years, and I've never once had an individual ask me to voice verify! I've always wondered if it's because I carry an effluvia of girlishness, or if it's because I haven't fished in the right sea (so to speak).