Jump to content

Suffering from "The Blurries"


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Greetings all :)

    I don't know if anyone else has noticed, or suffered, from this affliction but recently whenever logging inworld, I notice that part of my avi looks blurry, somewhat out-of-focus, while the rest of me looks absolutely fine.  Rebaking doesn't seem to do anything any more, so I'm stuck having to relog which may. or may not, solve the problem.  Even if I log in with my avi completely intact, all I need to do is change a part of my outfit (pants, socks, tattoo layer, jacket, etc.) and I end up with "The Blurries" again.  Sure, it goes away when I remove that layer, but does that mean I can no longer wear that outfit anymore?  I'm not a computer expert so I have no idea if the trouble is on LL's end, or Firestorm's.  I get so frustrated at having to constantly relog because my face, or torso, or legs are now completely blurry after changing one clothes layer on my outfit.  any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely,

Jeanette

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're on a mac, then its probably texture memory being limited to half of what it should be - bad default settings for SL on Macs.

If not, consider some combination of MeshMaxConcurrentRequests, TextureFetchConcurrency, HTTP Textures, Texture Thrashing, or texture compression settings.

I've covered this on my blog, and something in this article might be the issue:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/meshmaxconcurrentrequests-texturefetchconcurrency-http-textures-texture-thrashing-and-why-isnt-my-stuff-rezzing-yet/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If you're on a mac, then its probably texture memory being limited to half of what it should be - bad default settings for SL on Macs.

If not, consider some combination of MeshMaxConcurrentRequests, TextureFetchConcurrency, HTTP Textures, Texture Thrashing, or texture compression settings.

I've covered this on my blog, and something in this article might be the issue:

 

You need to read this thread, especially paying close attention to Monty's comments, and rework that article.

Edited to add link:  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/avi-dosn-t-load-correctly/td-p/2137193

Link to post
Share on other sites

How utterly helpful, Monty.

I had this happen the other day, and knowing SL I knew there was a 99.9% chance it wasn't my computer or my configuration.  I just waited it out and it was fine.  But I wonder what a new user will do?  Just now I clicked on the Knowledge Base tab, typed in "yellow pyramid" and got exactly zero help.

Something like this can affect anyone, anywhere.  Why aren't these lovely, helpful responses located someplace, with helpful, common sense search terms so the average newbie user can find it?  Better yet, why can't we get a no-nonsense, LL-approved question and answer and straight dope on each and every setting and checkbox in preferences?

Link to post
Share on other sites


Janelle Darkstone wrote:

How utterly
helpful
, Monty.

I had this happen the other day, and knowing SL I knew there was a 99.9% chance it wasn't my computer or my configuration.  I just waited it out and it was fine.  But I wonder what a new user will do?  Just now I clicked on the Knowledge Base tab, typed in "yellow pyramid" and got exactly zero help.

Something like this can affect anyone, anywhere.  Why aren't these lovely, helpful responses located someplace, with helpful, common sense search terms so the average newbie user can find it?  Better yet, why can't we get a no-nonsense, LL-approved question and answer and straight dope on each and every setting and checkbox in preferences?

Yes, it's a regular pain in the hootch and other places.  I also tried 'yellow triangle' in the KB and got nothing. 

My habit learned from experience is to select "all" when searching the SL website or I use teh evil google typing Second Life + what ever it is I am searching for in the search field.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Janelle Darkstone wrote:

I do that quite often, Googling "second life + issue du jour", read from the top five or so hits and choose the answer that seems the most reasonable ( OMG turn ur meshmaxconcurrent to
500
!!!11one! ).  Is there any wonder we're all lost?

I was already lost when I stumbled into SL so that is nothing new for me.  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If you're on a mac, then its probably texture memory being limited to half of what it should be - bad default settings for SL on Macs.

If not, consider some combination of MeshMaxConcurrentRequests, TextureFetchConcurrency, HTTP Textures, Texture Thrashing, or texture compression settings.

I've covered this on my blog, and something in this article might be the issue:

 

You need to read this thread, especially paying close attention to Monty's comments, and rework that article.

Edited to add link: 

Or you could try reading what I wrote before responding and noting it doesn't conflict Monty, but expands on other issues as well.

I think you're knee-jerk responding to an older blog I wrote. Which the one I linked corrects. We all know you have an attitude towards me - but try getting which of my link to snark right next time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Or you could try reading what I wrote before responding and noting it doesn't conflict Monty, but expands on other issues as well.

I think you're knee-jerk responding to an older blog I wrote. Which the one I linked corrects. We all know you have an attitude towards me - but try getting which of my link to snark right next time.

 

I think you're misinterpreting TextureFetchConcurrency though. Your basic advice is good but if you call up the texture console on a viewer with HTTP textures on and using the default value 0 you'll see that you're actually getting many concurrent requests and, for me at least, they generally all load cleanly. I believe the default "0" means not "How many pipelines should I use for HTTP textures? --- Don't use any" but "What's the limit on the number of HTTP texture pipelines I should use? --- There's no limit."

Changing the number will still have the effect in your post but the problem with the default 0 value is not that no threads are allowed but that too MANY are allowed and the connection is choking on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Janelle Darkstone wrote:

 Why aren't these lovely, helpful responses located someplace, with helpful, common sense search terms so the average newbie user can find it? 
Better yet, why can't we get a no-nonsense, LL-approved question and answer and straight dope on each and every setting and checkbox in preferences?

 Isn't that what we and the forums are for, Janelle.....to figure out problems that LL either isn't aware of or doesn't think it's that important to them?? Why pay your staff to figure out something that the residents who actually use the system are willing to work out for themselves??

Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If you're on a mac, then its probably texture memory being limited to half of what it should be - bad default settings for SL on Macs.

If not, consider some combination of MeshMaxConcurrentRequests, TextureFetchConcurrency, HTTP Textures, Texture Thrashing, or texture compression settings.

I've covered this on my blog, and something in this article might be the issue:

 

You need to read this thread, especially paying close attention to Monty's comments, and rework that article.

Edited to add link: 

Or you could try reading what I wrote before responding and noting it doesn't conflict Monty, but expands on other issues as well.

I think you're knee-jerk responding to an older blog I wrote. Which the one I linked corrects. We all know you have an attitude towards me - but try getting which of my link to snark right next time.

 

No I didn't knee jerk respond, I actually read what you wrote. As an example:

"The smart money is likely on leaving the mesh one at its default of 32, and setting the texture one, TextureFetchConcurrency, to 32 as well. Then see how each performs and adjust them in small steps up or down."

You do not want to adjust Mesh up from 32.

Now as far as "we all know," who is this "we all?"  Is the problem my attitude or is it actually yours?  There are other people in this Forum I disagree with from time to time and we still get along perfectly fine.

Oh, and I was following the Link you posted.  Not another one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Tex Monday wrote:


Janelle Darkstone wrote:

 Why aren't these lovely, helpful responses located someplace, with helpful, common sense search terms so the average newbie user can find it? 
Better yet, why can't we get a no-nonsense, LL-approved question and answer and straight dope on each and every setting and checkbox in preferences?

 Isn't that what we and the forums are for, Janelle.....to figure out problems that LL either isn't aware of or doesn't think it's that important to them?? Why pay your staff to figure out something that the residents who actually use the system are willing to work out for themselves??

I'm reminded of the old Klingon Programmer.  I know it's been posted a hundred times before but is still great.

 

Top 20 things likely to be overheard if you had a Klingon Programmer:

  1. Defensive programming? Never! Klingon programs are always on the offense. Yes, offensive programming is what we do best.
  2. Specifications are for the weak and timid!
  3. This machine is GAGH! I need dual Pentium processors if I am to do battle with this code!
  4. You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the original Klingon.
  5. Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!
  6. What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not make software 'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
  7. Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have 'arguments' -- and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
  8. Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak. Bugs are good for building character in the user.
  9. I have challenged the entire ISO-9000 quality assurance team to a Bat-Leth contest on the holodeck. They will not concern us again.
  10. A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment his code!
  11. By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family. Prepare to die!
  12. You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you stand!
  13. Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!
  14. Our competitors are without honor!
  15. Python? That is for children. A Klingon Warrior uses only machine code, keyed in on the front panel switches in raw binary.
  16. Klingon programs don't do accountancy. For that, you need a Ferengi.
  17. Klingon multitasking systems do not support "time-sharing". When a Klingon program wants to run, it challenges the scheduler in hand-to-hand combat and owns the machine.
  18. Perhaps it IS a good day to die! I say we ship it!
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...