Can a sim owner (or anyone) find out who your alts are?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Bessie,

Not easily.

From the point of view as a DJ - I lease a Relay Service to be able to stream my music to up to 200 people listening at a club. I scripted my own Song Announcer script that also display;s the stats from the Relay Service Server. One of us interesting statistic is the Total Number of Listeners versus the Number of Unique Listeners. I guess this tells me when a group of listeners is all from the same IP address. Now I know my crowd pretty well and some of those non-unique listeners are couples on separate PCs at their home. But I'm sure that a lot are ALTs to help the venue's numbers look a bit better.

So indirectly I guess I could try to guess the relationship between all those in attendance of my sets but I have too much other things to do that are more fun like DJ & chat up the crowd.

This all said, I also own a few regions and none of the tools I have available to me allow me to determine which tenants have alts and which don't. Many of my tenants stay with me because they trust me and I don't share any Landlady/Tenant confidentiality's

Still, anyone smart enough to watch the comings and goings on their region surely knows/understands who the tenants friends are.

There was an old [now outlawed and deleted from the LL Asset Servers] scripted system that stored avatar information in an external database including the origin IP address when discovered. Wrongly [mostly] or rightly it associated avatars that were related in some way [by IP address] and caused TOS violations galore as many times the assumptions where just wrong. [e.g. Whole college networks with several SLers found that were welcome at some places [regions & stores] in SL using this junk system because of an IP address association].

In defending against groups of griefers I've easily found whole groups of them to ban when one acts out on my regions by looking up their group memberships. Seems some griefers are dumb enough to join or create griefing groups and include their own ALTs as members. I just ban the whole lot and breath easy.

The bottom line is, generally you're safe.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Bessie,

Not easily.

From the point of view as a DJ - I lease a Relay Service to be able to stream my music to up to 200 people listening at a club. I scripted my own Song Announcer script that also display;s the stats from the Relay Service Server. One of us interesting statistic is the Total Number of Listeners versus the Number of Unique Listeners. I guess this tells me when a group of listeners is all from the same IP address. Now I know my crowd pretty well and some of those non-unique listeners are couples on separate PCs at their home. But I'm sure that a lot are ALTs to help the venue's numbers look a bit better.

So indirectly I guess I could try to guess the relationship between all those in attendance of my sets but I have too much other things to do that are more fun like DJ & chat up the crowd.

This all said, I also own a few regions and none of the tools I have available to me allow me to determine which tenants have alts and which don't. Many of my tenants stay with me because they trust me and I don't share any Landlady/Tenant confidentiality's

Still, anyone smart enough to watch the comings and goings on their region surely knows/understands who the tenants friends are.

There was an old [now outlawed and deleted from the LL Asset Servers] scripted system that stored avatar information in an external database including the origin IP address when discovered. Wrongly [mostly] or rightly it associated avatars that were related in some way [by IP address] and caused TOS violations galore as many times the assumptions where just wrong. [e.g. Whole college networks with several SLers found that were welcome at some places [regions & stores] in SL using this junk system because of an IP address association].

In defending against groups of griefers I've easily found whole groups of them to ban when one acts out on my regions by looking up their group memberships. Seems some griefers are dumb enough to join or create griefing groups and include their own ALTs as members. I just ban the whole lot and breath easy.

The bottom line is, generally you're safe.

• Like 1

Only private region owners may be able to see your ip. The Mainland is managed by Linden Lab.

The majority of region owners are not concerned with who a resident's alts might be. It is unlikely that they would share ip addresses with other residents. Most region owners are verified users, names addresses, billing info, etc. They're not going to violate the terms of service to help some stalker discover who a resident's alt(s) might be.

Some residents may claim that you have an alt or that they know your alt. Of course they won't be able to produce a name because they don't know and they are baiting you.

A good use for an alternate account, is to pursue an alternate second life. If you visit all the same places, it's not technically an alt.

Popular stores and clubs in any type of region employ security measures to maintain a peaceful welcoming destination for residents. It's a business, they do not involve themselves in drama. Asking for private information about one of the guest is a quick way to get banned from the region.

If you want to throw them for a loop, just make up a name and say it is your alt. Add photo to your profile of your fake alt.

It is possible under certain circumstances for someone to find out your IP address.  For example any provider of a media stream on the internet (including within Second Life) has the ability to know your IP address.  Someone who has this information can then check the IP address of two SL avatars.  If they are the same, they MAY be alts of the same user...but this is not guaranteed.  They might be simply two people using the same Internet Service Provider.

This ability to find your IP address is not something that's peculiar to SL.  It's simply part of the way the Internet works.  Someone who knows your IP address can also find out (using WhoIs, for example) your physical location, but unless you use a fixed IP address, not more exactly than simply knowing the address of your internet service provider.

There used to be a couple of products that used this fact to "identify alts".  They were, of course, frequently wrong.  In addition, while finding out someone's IP address is not illegal or against the LL Terms of Service, passing that information on to anyone else IS against the TOS.

As far as sim owners...if you are renting land, or leasing it on an estate, and you have to be a member of a land group in order to rez objects there, then you will have to ask your landlord if your close friends and/or alts may also join the group.  By doing this, you give a strong clue to your landlord that Person A is probably your alt.  But most landlords are good about keeping this information confidential.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.