Voting for SL to Implement a True DND or Stealth Mode For Creators.

Adumelial Rothstein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I VOTE YES!!!!!

SL PLEASE IMPLEMENT A TRUE DND OR STEALTH MODE FOR THOSE OF US THAT NEED SOME SILENCE FROM FRIENDS AND GROUPS WHEN CREATING BUILDING. I AM ABOUT TO HAVE TO GET REALLY RUDE WITH CERTAIN FRIENDS AND DELETE ALL GROUPS BECAUSE OF THIS. AND I DO NOT WANT TO DO EITHER. :womansad:

CHIME IN IF YOU AGREE. SL VIEWER NEEDS TO GIVE US THIS OPTION.

Anybody can learn how to use the interface but only a small percentage of residents build creatively.

It is possible that you are popular because you are creative and interesting.

You should be flattered, not upset. It's not their fault that they like your company. Compose yourself.

I like to build alone. I understand how any interruption can influence the final product. Everyone is not an artist.

My advice is that you cannot force creativity. Some interruptions are meant to be.

Breath deep, exhale, resume breathing normally.

I vote against.

First of all while I do have huge respect for many creators, why should they get a "class" privilege?

Secondly, the issues from both a practical and some technical ones were discussed at length in the JIRA Gadget mentioned.  I'll re-link in case you missed it.  There have been many other discussions of this topic but that is probably the most thorough.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-4823?

You do have a DND tool already....it's called the "away message." 

As far as Stealth Mode goes there is also a dark side to it.  Griefers, stalkers and other harrassers would love having that ability.  So lets just give them another tool in their arsenal.  Yeah.  Right. 

If you are really getting ready to get really rude with a few of your 'friends,' maybe they really need to be gotten really rude with. 

It's a social platform.

I played the newb doormat for a little while. Linden's just dump residents inworld and any decent resident is civilly obliged to help those new residents.  My point is something, I'm getting there.

Stealth for all would include griefers. Then there is money, who is going to pay for it. Most importantly is the fact that they cannot finish the work they already have.

I'm pretty sure that LL techs have the biggest pocket protectors. IMVU would tap out in under 100 lines of code.

Knowl Paine wrote:

It's a social platform.

Stealth for all would include griefers.

Well, there is a time to socialize and not to socialize. SL is also a building platform. I wonder why it is always thought by many that a stealth mode would be something like a "god mode" - totally invisible to all. As I understand it, it would not be like that. Just a mode where one can make things fairly undisturbed.

I posted here what is my view of the stealth mode:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Stealth-Mode/m-p/2350829#M21991

As I see it, the stealth mode would be something like this:

When you log in the system does not announce to anybody that you logged in.

You appear offline to all who might check your profile.

(there are already lots of people using this - only friends see you're online)

If somebody IMs you, there would be a message "User not available - your IM has been sent."

(it does not reveal are you online or offline)

You are not invisible god nor invisible griefer, anybody near you can see you and chat with you.

So what kind kind of amazing thing for griefers would this stealth mode be?

I cannot see any use for griefers in it.

[unquote]

So, as I see it, it would not be a griefer tool. People just get funny ideas about the word "stealth". :smileytongue:

OMG! Stealth!  ashamed.gif  freakout.gif :smileyvery-happy:

Adumelial Rothstein wrote:

I VOTE YES!!!!!

SL PLEASE IMPLEMENT A TRUE DND OR STEALTH MODE FOR THOSE OF US THAT NEED SOME SILENCE FROM FRIENDS AND GROUPS WHEN CREATING BUILDING. I AM ABOUT TO HAVE TO GET REALLY RUDE WITH CERTAIN FRIENDS AND DELETE ALL GROUPS BECAUSE OF THIS. AND I DO NOT WANT TO DO EITHER. :womansad:

Groups you can silence by going to "Preferences - Chat" and changing the notification option for group chat to "No action." As far as friends, you can turn on the Do Not Disturb "answering machine." And trust me, your "friends" will think it's a lot less rude for you to let them know you're busy than to hide from them when you're actually on-line because iti's all-too-easy to have someone run into you that way.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I VOTE YES!!!!!

Groups you can silence by going to "Preferences - Chat" and changing the notification option for group chat to "No action." As far as friends, you can turn on the Do Not Disturb "answering machine."
And trust me, your "friends" will think it's a lot less rude for you to let them know you're busy than to hide from them when you're actually on-line because iti's all-too-easy to have someone run into you that way.

^^^^^Isn't that the truth!^^^^

I really have gotten in the habit of using the tools we've been given and they work.  I do prefer Firestorm's "Autorespond" to LL's "Busy Mode" a hundred fold.

I think if people would just use the existing tools most of the perceived problems and drama would go away. 

If someone is going to get upset with me for not responding when I've set my busy message then it is their problem, not mine.  They don't like that when I'm busy bumping pixels that I don't respond?   Then unfriend me.  No skin off my Avatar.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I VOTE YES!!!!!

Groups you can silence by going to "Preferences - Chat" and changing the notification option for group chat to "No action." As far as friends, you can turn on the Do Not Disturb "answering machine."
And trust me, your "friends" will think it's a lot less rude for you to let them know you're busy than to hide from them when you're actually on-line because iti's all-too-easy to have someone run into you that way.

^^^^^Isn't that the truth!^^^^

I really have gotten in the habit of using the tools we've been given and they work.  I do prefer Firestorm's "Autorespond" to LL's "Busy Mode" a hundred fold.

I think if people would just use the existing tools most of the perceived problems and drama would go away. 

If someone is going to get upset with me for not responding when I've set my busy message then it is their problem, not mine.  They don't like that when I'm busy bumping pixels that I don't respond?   Then unfriend me.  No skin off my Avatar.

Are you always bumping pixels?  Never once have you responded to me when I've IMed you inworld nor have you ever even acknoweledged being my friend... damn you!

Oh wait... I've never IMed you inworld nor have you ever been on my friends list... never mind.

...Dres

Don't forget the test grid.  I myself have a long friends list, and no one on it has ever given me a hard time for being in "busy" or "autorespond" mode.   But I can see when someone tries to concact me, and that can be distracting.   But If I really want to concentrate and not be interupted, the test grid is always (well, usually) there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.