Server Side Baking Doesn't Work. Period.

Verena Vuckovic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First off, I'm not the same people who always comment,  I was directed here by a friend to try and help, I saw the other replies and posted my own thoughts, which I can do and so I have.  

so now with that aside,  the user in question has some kind of issue,  has not been helpful that much with information that typically one would need to help diagnose the issue, but instead just blames the technology behind SL. 

which as we all know has it's up and downs, but there are not alot of us experecing issues anymore,  since we know if we want to play SL, we have to stay ahead with our machines and our connections. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that everyone has had a chance to rant, I was wondering why, when LL claimed Server Side Rendering was going to solve all the problems about others seeing your avatar as you yourself saw it, how come with the proliferation of Mesh and the Alphas that come with them, whenever I land in a SIM, almost everyone is partially invisible?

Is there a setting in Firestorm viewer that can help with this problem?

System specs:

Firestorm 4.5.1 (38838) Oct 28 2013 00:03:49 (Firestorm-Beta) with Havok support
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3510.34 MHz)
Memory: 8145 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3165
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

RestrainedLove API: RLV v2.7.0 / RLVa v1.4.8a
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1e zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.10.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.18
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (High Contrast)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 360
Bandwidth: 1500
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High (5/7)
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
Built with MSVC version 1600

Roxie Torok wrote:

Now that everyone has had a chance to rant, I was wondering why, when LL claimed Server Side Rendering was going to solve all the problems about others seeing your avatar as you yourself saw it, how come with the proliferation of Mesh and the Alphas that come with them, whenever I land in a SIM, almost everyone is partially invisible?

When you TP to a sim, things do take time to load. It will never be instant. The problem is however made much worse by content creators that don't know what they are doing.

It pains me to see alpha layers created with 1024x1024 textures for example - they should NEVER EVER be higher rez than 256x256!!! I also see dresses with insane numbers of verticies - looking at a wireframe view, the dress looks solid, probably 20,000 verticies. I've also seen insane things like a 1024x1024 texture on a button on a pair of jeans.

LL can't fix the stupidity of content creators sadly.

But that's not all.... A lot of people run around with their viewers set to insane draw distances. Why is this bad? Think about it... Your viewer has to load all the object and texture data for everything in view - this strains the asset servers and the sim server itself when your DD is excessive. It causes server side lag that affects everyone. We have silly script counters that do nothing but cause even more lag, and a lack of understanding that scripts don't cause server lag other than maybe some scripts will run a little bit slower - scripts only run in spare time. The sim will do what the sim will do no matter if there is 1 script running or 20,000. The calls to count script / memory usage are very heavy on sim resources and do more damage than good - and worse, they hammer on the sim constantly over and over and over. The damage caused by a script monitor is 100 times worse than the dormant resize scripts they are looking at.

Lastly, your consumer router probably sucks and can't handle the massive number of connections that SL uses.  Most handle it poorly causing texture loading to fail and retry, which appears to you as slow texture / scene loading / bake fail.

So really, it's not LL causing the lag, it's horrible content creators and people running crap tools that they don't understand, with viewer settings that are crazy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.