abandon land

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I been looking SL to find some LL abandon land and there is so much available but LL have made so difficult to buy, I am aware there is a cooling off period from the person that has abandoned to reclaim, but why can not just simpley just buy instead of filling out a request and what not,

this is so silly

I would imagine LL wants to avoid flooding the market with land and driving mainland prices down. 

If you fill out a request you don't get necessarily get priority on buying the land.  LL will put it up for auction it if it is a prime parcel so they get the best price they can for it and you'll have to bid.  If it isn't prime, they may just set it for sale to anyone.

This is only fair to all, including other mainland owners who are trying to sell their property and other avatars wishing to buy mainland, especially those that already own land in the same sim and who may wish to increase their holdings to get more prims.  This way everyone has equal opportunity. I think the only time you may get priority and have them set it for sale only to you is if you own land surrounding it.  I am sure someone who actually owns mainland and has had a different experience will correct me if I am wrong about that.

After investigation further searches of land I think what LL are doing is completely wrong, holding back abandon land if keeping the price up, this in a world ression is stupid, as I look around for land to by for my personal use, I find two things, either the land is cheap and crap or the land is so expensive I walk away, like most in all  corners of the globe we are in a resssion, make the land cheaper maybe more people will buy and then you have more membership right now I not going to buy a 4096 land but settle for a much small bit, as I not going to spend good money for crap or over the top price,

LL need to re-think this

In another thread here, I have expressed my opinion that although the abandoned land recovery process is an excellent addition, it has not opened up significant amounts of previously enjoyed lands which have been empty for years.

We are just recycling the same plots. I realize that on the grand scale, every plot in SL is technically being recycled.

Every plot needs to be reviewed independently to be certain that it is in the best interest of SL to sell it. The last Resident to own the land has expressed the most interest in owning it because they already bought it once.

Many of the mainland plots from the Zindra migration may be available by contacting support. I forget how I was identifying those plots, I think some stated in the land description that they moved to zindra. It's about looking at profiles and seeing who owned it last. Case by Case :smileywink:

I agree that good mainland is too expensive. To find anything good you need to scan the map everyday for a month and hope you beat the bots.

I have had positive results with Support. I have had offers excepted by owners of land that wasn't being offered. A kind beetle once gave me list of all the plots they were selling to make it easier for me to pick one.

My experience is that you can list what you want, and what you will pay, someone will try to make that deal.

An informal list of my land likes:

• West facing
  • Waterfront
  • Sailable adjacent regions
  • 75% Flat land with Northwest coastal green lawn
  • + / - 40 M terrain
  • 2x's protected, water in the west, linden road in the east.
  • Regional significance - intersection, peninsula, bay, cove, island, mount
  • Neighbors with an equal or greater land investment in the Region
  • Linden owned open spaces, adjacent or contained.
  • Mature or General rated

That's about all I can think of atm.

It may be silly, but its up to Linden Lab how they choose to deal with abandoned land. I quite liked it when newly abandoned land was automatically put up for sale, although now there is a ton of it, and of course, the parcels in the least desirable landlocked areas remain for sale, and a lot more mainland sims are looking like barren wastelands now as a result.

But I still believe that its worth requesting a specific parcel of abandoned land, via the support ticket process, whether it meets the general criteria of bordering land already owned by the person requesting it. After all, Linden Lab would surely be receiving the tier fees that would be due on any and all land that becomes owned rather than remains abandoned indefinitely.

Don't ask, don't get.

I agree with you that prime mainland is set for sale at ridiculed prices.  Saw an ad recently for a 4096 on the Blake Sea for rent so I went to look at it.  It was also for sale for the equivalent of more the $800US.  Who in their right mind would pay that even for the best 4096 on the Blake Sea?  And this was far from the best.  It was long and narrow and was boxed in on two sides and had a weird cutout on the back side of it.  The rent wasn't bad for a 4096 but it didn't interest me because it would be hard to build anything decent on it due to the shape.

I see a lot of land around the Blake Sea set at outrageous prices even worse than the above example,   particularly rental land.  Some for many thousands of dollars in RL money.    I think some people do it to get a free rental listing in Land Search because so many have rental info in the land description.  If someone comes along and actually buys the land they make a fortune on it.  A win win for the landlord. 

Yes I did that I put a request for some land on the 15 dec case num 01823 bah bah

have I heard anything   noooo, if this land had right to buy there and then i would a happy owner of some land right now

so what do I do , sit and wait and hope LL let me buy this land or do I look  keep looking

It does need loking into

greek Wingtips wrote:

Yes I did that I put a request for some land on the 15 dec case num 01823 bah bah

have I heard anything   noooo, if this land had right to buy there and then i would a happy owner of some land right now

so what do I do , sit and wait and hope LL let me buy this land or do I look  keep looking

It does need loking into

Yes you wait. A request made only a couple of days ago, on 15th December will sit in a queue with all the other requests for whatever everyone else has on their own personal agenda.

But also keep your eye on the land auctions - just in case Linden Lab decide your interest in the land makes it worthy of adding to the auctions. 

Well As that is LL rules, I might as well just sit on my 512 ands not bother, as all the good land if held back, why in a rp game,

were I pay tiers I have to be offered land by LL that really is the the worst , whiles they sit on prime abandon land that can be sold to customers, if they feel this will be exploirted by bulk land buyer  then limit the amount they can buy,

I dont see why I should be offered the rubbish that on offer by LL or go private and pay crazy pricies , I just sit on my 512sq

greek Wingtips wrote:

After investigation further searches of land I think what LL are doing is completely wrong, holding back abandon land if keeping the price up, this in a world ression is stupid, as I look around for land to by for my personal use, I find two things, either the land is cheap and crap or the land is so expensive I walk away, like most in all  corners of the globe we are in a resssion, make the land cheaper maybe more people will buy and then you have more membership right now I not going to buy a 4096 land but settle for a much small bit, as I not going to spend good money for crap or over the top price,

LL need to re-think this

Peole complained when you had to submit tickets in the old days to get land listed for auction or sold to you if you were near it.

So LLs made all newly abandoned land auto go for 1L/m when abandoned, and then put in a reclaim your land waiting period. People then complained that half of mainland was yellow for sale plots and there was too much abandoned land.

So... LLs made it so you had to submit tickets in the old days to get land listed for auction or sold to you if you were near it. Now people are complaining again.

They can't win either way...

Something to note about the land is cheap and junk or way too pricey... The people with land near that pricey land... like it that way...

Consider it from a landowner's point of view. If someone moves in next to you you want them to make a nicely skilled build. Even if not to your tastes and style - at least done well. No houses floating a meter off the ground on one side, no giant privacy walls, no random opened boxes on the lawn... no junky buildings with walls that don't even touch properly, no weirdly stretched prims, no furniture that pops halfway through one of the walls...

- None of that "noob" stuff that even Newbies know not to do...

The hope is that if your new neighbor has to spend $100 US dollars to get that 512m lot... they will CARE about what it looks like.

- Doesn't always work. But it tends to discourage the people that rez low-quality junk, and rez it clashingly. Its not common to see a cheaply made badly scripted freebie house in a place like Bay City.

Even Shermerville; which has a number of 2003 / 2005 builds - has what was back then quality... and the components fit together in their own theme. And the high price means people take a moment before impulse buying... Even the build next to mine, which is white walls with crayon drawings on them "drawing" a house... is well done. So while it is an extreme style-clash with my Shermerville build, I like having it as a neighbor because it took skill and looks like it.

If you buy a 512m lot for 500L... you might do it without a second thought and then rez the first freebie house DEMO you find on Marketplace, toss in a spammy sexbed, and then log out for 4 months... You might even log out and leave that house with its rezzer still there waiting to be positioned, and two of the walls accidentally deleted, with an SL tree sticking through the living room...

- But people who buy a 512m lot for $100 US dollars... that's not cheap, and they're going to want their money's worth.

It sucks when you're shopping and can't afford those lots. But if abandoned lots started popping up next to them being sold for nothing - and junk showed up on those spots - there'd be a LOT more chaos in SL's land market.

The very reason all that other land is so junky, is that there is no barrier to entry to owning it - and people who barely care about their SL rez junk there like crazy.

I don't really understand your point,was not talking about what people build on or how pretty or grottoes the builds are or they junk it, that each to there own, its nothing new that one heads land facing a sunset then a person next to you puts up a massive blocks your view, that's AL to make rules , I talking about buying land and the land that on offer by AL from what I seen most is north or south facing, rocky or to steep and surrounded by junk, the stuff I seen which is really nice I would pay more than one L$ if it was available  so again I saw, as long as AL keep back the good stuff I not touching the crap, and refuse to pay top money some land owners want for land,  I happy with my 512 until such time AL brings the price down, ,

Well there we have it from the horses mouth direct, the land I enquired about for sale to AL this was there reply, 

The land abandon land that I am interested does not qualfiy for direct sale, but if I am am interested they can place this in the auction,    WELL WELL

What do I think of this well it's very simple, there is so much land abandoned it really is untrue, I am scraping to find the $ to pay tiers every month and here is LL's chance to retain my hight tier rent, but at the same time they want me to pay top $ for abandon land,   well my answer to AL is very simple. sit you your abandon land and wait for a better price whiles looose my higher Tiers $ that you will loose and I sit on my 512sq,

If this is called bussinsess sence then I feel very sorry for LL's    

As a bussinsess man myself, when the times are in a resession you lower all your prices not keep them high whiles people find it hard to pay,      your loose not mine AL

greek Wingtips wrote:

Well there we have it from the horses mouth direct, the land I enquired about for sale to AL this was there reply, 

The land abandon land that I am interested does not qualfiy for direct sale, but if I am am interested they can place this in the auction,    WELL WELL

What do I think of this well it's very simple, there is so much land abandoned it really is untrue, I am scraping to find the $ to pay tiers every month and here is LL's chance to retain my hight tier rent, but at the same time they want me to pay top $ for abandon land,   well my answer to AL is very simple. sit you your abandon land and wait for a better price whiles looose my higher Tiers $ that you will loose and I sit on my 512sq,

As a bussinsess man myself, when the times are in a resession you lower all your prices not keep them high whiles people find it hard to pay,      your loose not mine AL

This could work to your advantage.  If no one else were to bid on the land you could wind up paying less than $1L sqm for it. 

greek Wingtips wrote:

I expected that would be LL's response, but Perrie is absolutely right and you may well acquire the land for 1L$ - just take a glance at the auctions every day, and watch for the land turning purple on the world map.

(In the past when I have bought the little chunks of abandoned land to tack to land I already owned, LL has rarely never just given me the land - it has usually cost 1L$ per sq.m. )

I'm disappointed with the response you received from Support. Although, requesting for land to be made available for sale, is a hit or miss opportunity.

Did you already state if you own land in that region? I'm curious about the qualifications LL is using.

I had a request approved, I owned land in the region, the plot I wanted to buy was adjacent, the last Owner's Profile was showing in search as no longer available.

There are opportunities out there, stay positive.

greek Wingtips wrote:

I don't really understand your point,was not talking about what people build on or how pretty or grottoes the builds are or they junk it, that each to there own, its nothing new that one heads land facing a sunset then a person next to you puts up a massive blocks your view, that's AL to make rules , I talking about buying land and the land that on offer by AL from what I seen most is north or south facing, rocky or to steep and surrounded by junk, the stuff I seen which is really nice I would pay more than one L$ if it was available  so again I saw, as long as AL keep back the good stuff I not touching the crap, and refuse to pay top money some land owners want for land,  I happy with my 512 until such time AL brings the price down, ,

One leads to the other.

You complained that good land was too pricey. I gave you the long versions of "of course it is."

Land that is good, costs "top money" as you say. And its good because it costs. Helps keep people that don't care about the quality of what they have out...

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

greek Wingtips wrote:

One leads to the other.

You complained that good land was too pricey. I gave you the long versions of "of course it is."

Land that is good, costs "top money" as you say. And its good because it costs.
Helps keep people that don't care about the quality of what they have out...

Oh if only this were true. :matte-motes-mad:

Only a few days ago I witnessed a parcel of land that is good and that had cost top money over on the Bay City sims that the owner had 'decorated' as he saw fit. His money, his land, his choice. And that decoration was a massive great prim displaying intolerance towards certain members of the surrounding community.

Unfortunately, as in real world, paying top dollar for top land does not always mean top neighbours. :/

I can understand the frustration of greek Wingtips, and this general seeming lack of consideration by LL, who do allow land to remain abandoned for one heck of a long time.  I mean to say, they did go through this phase whereby any and all land that was abandoned was automatically set for resale at a nominal cost of 1L$ per sq.m., but any land that had been abandoned prior to this decision either remained abandoned, was applied for by people like greek who took a fancy to it, or eventually it might be picked up and set for resale at auction.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

greek Wingtips wrote:

One leads to the other.

Land that is good, costs "top money" as you say. And its good because it costs.
Helps keep people that don't care about the quality of what they have out...

Oh if only this were true. :matte-motes-mad:

Only a few days ago I witnessed a parcel of land that is good and that had cost top money over on the Bay City sims that the owner had 'decorated' as he saw fit. His money, his land, his choice. And that decoration was a massive great prim displaying intolerance towards certain members of the surrounding community.

Unfortunately, as in real world, paying top dollar for top land does not always mean top neighbours.
:/

Improves the odds, but nothing is perfect. As you note in your post after - a rich enough person won't see the difference between 1L/m and 90L/m, and so will buy those Bay City lots at whim. But such people are not the norm in SL.

Generally people who invest in the prime spots in SL do so because they're looking to gain something by being in those spots.

As for a giant intolerance prim - might be ARable if its intolerance of a RL class of people. But if its just one of those "you noobs suck" things - be a bit harder.

- That said, could AR it n the adfarm policy, which bars signs over 8m tall / 8m above the ground.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.