Pointy things

SweetLadyMell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all :)

Yesterday, I had to ask someone (new) to not expose her swords (yes, one each hand, real scary and sharp) as the sim rules state....

I overheared that you can get hurt with weapons, but...I also overheared that this does not apply to all sims...hence this post. What's the truth here? If I sit on a prim, I cannot get hurt, so far so good, but, if it's true that it differs from sim to sim...I'd better be carefull when setting a "pinprick" on the map as destination... XD

Thanks all...just monday morning ramble ^^

Mell

xxx

On combat sims and damage-enabled parcels, you'll be able to see a red heart icon near the top bar of your viewer, next to the location name/info box, in the same place as the other little icons that specify a certain sim/parcel setting. The worst thing that happens if you get "hurt" from a damage-enabled weapon on land that allows it is you get teleported home... that's it. Far worse and much more annoying things can happen if the land you're on allows rezzing of objects (cages,bullets,etc..), and/or has push enabled (throwers,orbiters,push bullets,etc..).

If the sim rules specify a strict 'no weapon at all' rule, then letting another resident know about it is a fair thing to do. That is a bit different then a 'no weapon USE' rule, which means you can have them and wave them around, just don't try attacking anyone with them (most social places like clubs are like this, but always read the rules anyway, or just ask).

Also, be aware that a very high percentage of public sims that aren't meant for pure roleplay or combat will usually have damage, push, and object rez turned off to help prevent griefing. In this case, any worn or used weapons are totally harmless even if they are designed for combat, so the best rule is to err on the side of tolerance, not caution. Many people wear weapons strictly for decoration as a part of their outfit, or just to look cool, so asking someone to remove them on a sim where they won't work anyway is more than likely just going to piss them off.

Utterly pointless rule - the 'no weapons' rule.

It stems from the days when people would leave damage on in a parcel - but the truth even then is that if damage was on you could 'kill' another avatar by just bumping into them. So even then it was pointless. I believe damage is off by default now. And getting "killed" just TP's a person home.

The only way a 'weapon' can be harmful is if you and the other person are both on a combat meter sim, both wearing that sim's brand of meter, both have the meter set to active combat mode, and one of you is using a weapon that works with that brand. At this point - the victim will upon getting killed, take damage on that brand's meter, and sometimes play a wounded or dead animation for a few seconds...

Random person coming up to random person with a random weapon... no effect.

The 'no weapons rule' at this point ends up just being like every other 'no people who have green eyes on our sim' rule. Somebody's silly bias - if in a roleplay sim, it makes sense for weapons not fitting the roleplay. Otherwise, it is just foolishness.

As the others have mentioned the sim owner has the ability to enable damage.. As do meters. Some meters, ( GM for example but there are several), are added to the avatar itself, then if you are struck with a scripted sword you take damage.. Your meter ( glowing over head) will start to drop % and change color until you have been downed.

Weapons are completely harmless.

Except on damage enabled sims.

But what is a weapon? A broom or a purse is a deadly as the big double bladed axe. No difference.
Weapons can be complete invisible. Laser eyes (a view to kill) or just a hud, so you'll never see it coming.

Just ignore weapons. If you are griefed that will rarely happen by a sword. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.