shape height keeps changing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am frustrated.. I save my shapes with heights I have set i.e. kevin-medium build- 2.30  (2.30 is height)..  lately the the height will change..

How I setup my avatar is I used a base  naked guy (with undies), set the shape, so in the above it will be that shape and then save with new outfit name,, then start adding clothing.. when I am done I save one final time..  I alwasy check the height after I am finished.. but I can come back later and the height is changed..the shape is the same shape.  For example on one 2.30 shape and outfit .. the height was 2.22  ...

Is there a proper way to setup a avatar.. something I am missing..  I save all my outfits each in separate folder with a one click and I am dressed with all accessories..etc.

Just to clarify what GERI01 is saying, "system shoes", as in the avatar mesh clothing layer that tends to be worn underneath prim or mesh shoes, affects the height displayed for your avatar. That's the "shoes" that show up as a clothing layer in your inventory, rather than an object.

So, if you want an accurate measurement you'll want to take the shoe layers off then check.

Speaking of getting an accurate measurement, it's important to know that the appearance editor and scripted "height rulers" are unreliable. Always have been. The height given by the official SL viewer's appearance editor is off by more than half a foot (0.15 metres). It's a known bug but extremely low on LL's priority list.

Some TPVs, such as Firestorm, fix this using a math fudge that gives a much more accurate height, but it can still be off by an inch or two (3-5 centimetres or more). Still, it's fine in a pinch if you just want to be more or less within a certain height.

The only 100% accurate method currently available is hopping on a pose stand and manually measuring your avatar by stretching a prim from the bottom of your feet to the top of your skull.

walterwhiteSr wrote:

I am frustrated.. I save my shapes with heights I have set i.e. kevin-medium build- 2.30  (2.30 is height)..

As Penny said different viewers give different heights. Some are more close to the true height than others. The only reliable and accurate way to measure avatar height is by using a prim.

If you measured your height in Linden Lab viewer then your real height is actually about: 2.30 m + 0.15 m = 2.45 m. That's already very tall - even for an avatar. But if you want to have that tall avatar that's naturally your choise. I'm just telling this so you know a bit more about avatar height. :smileywink:

Most propably you get different heights because outfits may have different shoe bases, and those have different shoe base heights. Always when measuring height be sure that you are not wearing any shoe base.

By the way, I have never experienced personally that avatar height changes by itself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.